FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top five sitcom characters of all time (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top five sitcom characters of all time
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Piggy (not a cartoon)
Baldric (Black Adder--I have a cunning plan)
Benson (From Soap, so much better than on his own show--though I loved him in Sports Night even better)
Lucy
Mrs. Roper

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I for one did not want to be Zack Morris. I wanted to be Parker Lewis. There is a tremendous difference. Parker Lewis was anti-establishment. From where I sat, Zack Morris was the freaking establishment.

Oh, wait, we're supposed to make lists.

Keep in mind some of these are based on my affection for the characters at the time I watched the show.

Okay, here you go.

5. Uncle Albert from Bewitched.

4. Balki from Perfect Strangers.

3. Sledge Hammer from Sledge Hammer!.

2. Reverend Jim and Latka from Taxi.

1. The entire freaking cast of the Dick Van Dyke show. There will never be a show on TV this genuine, funny, and entertaining again, period.

I know, I know. I claim to be anti-establishment, and then pick this as my favorite. Sorry. It's just that darn good.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
no one has mentioned Brian or Stewie from family Guy yet. Two of the most genious charatcers ever created.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they were both mentioned by the same person on the first page, beatnix.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Betty Slocombe
Sophia Petrillo
Hyacinth Bucket
Fay Evelyn Schlob Dumbly DeVay Cochran
Diana Trent

Special "All Old Ladies" list. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I'm pretty sure that House is a drama, not a sitcom.

Yeah I know. But he's so damn cool! I just had to mention him.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually says something disturbing about me that I gave this list some thought, then realized I couldn't narrow it down. Despite the fact that most sitcoms are terrible.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Chandler from Friends

2. Carlton from Fresh Prince

3. Niles from Frasier

4. Screech from SbtB

5. Mr. Pheeney from Boy Meets World

If nothing else from that list survives, Pheeney should at least make the cut. Or Corey, or someone from that show.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First, I for one did not want to be Zack Morris. I wanted to be Parker Lewis.
I wanted to be Jerry. Does this say something about my social expectations as a child? Seriously though, before The Matrix, before The Crow, Jerry made trenchcoats cool!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order (because I can't make up my mind):
-Chandler from Friends
-The janitor in Scrubs
-Eric from Boy Meets World
-Jack from Will & Grace
-Principal Belding from Saved By The Bell

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ooooh, I like that list. I second that list.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gob from Arrested Development and Zapp Brannigan from Futurama. My personal gods.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Since the topic is TV characters, maybe this isn't too out of place:

Which of the M*A*S*H trade-out characters do you like the best?

Colonel Herny Braymore Blake or Colonel Sherman T. Potter?

John Francis Xavier McIntyre (aka Trapper) or BJ Hunnicut?

Me, I have a hard time deciding. I think I like BJ better, just becaus his sarcasm jives with mine a little better. I guess it just comes of as a little more good natured. And definitely Henry is far better a colonel. That guy just didn't give a hoot and wanted to be home at least as much as the rest of them.

I prefer both Potter and BJ. In fact I much prefer the latter half of the series (after the introduction of Charles). While I realize that some of the earlier episodes were more true to the movie that the show was based on, I think the later episodes have more balance to the characters.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"And Barney Fife is the Andy Griffith Show, not the Andy Taylor show (says the young and TV literate"

ha ha!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Despite the fact that most sitcoms are terrible."

Why?
Are they terrible because you don't like the genre(or whatever "correct" way one refers to tv shows), or because sitcoms don't measure up to some sort of sitcom standard?

I know some people who just cannot stomach them at all. (My mother-in-law is one) They give her the willies.

I always end up being a bit surprised when I care about sitcom characters.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I like BJ better than Trapper.

But choosing between Blake and Potter is tough. Blake cracked me up, but Potter had a much more rounded and stronger character overall.

I love the episode when Blake is conducting while Radar is playing the drums, Margaret is singing, and Hawkeye is playing the "Bass."

That scene cracks me up everytime. "One more time!"

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
My non-American list

Jeff Murdock
René Artois
Queen Bess as played by Miranda Richardson
Arnold Rimmer
Red Green

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Foreman - That 70's Show
Barney Fife - Andy Griffith Show
Lucy - I Love Lucy
Carla Tortelli - Cheers
Kramer - Seinfield

If the Andy Griffith Show doesn't count, then Tim Taylor from Home Improvement.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta go with Henry Blake and Honeycutt. Who, btw, may have one of the best entrances ever on a sitcom.

"What say ya ferret face!"--The funniest line I have ever heard on Mash, and that is saying something.

Here are my top 5

1. Homer Simpson-The Simpsons
2. Chandler Bing-Friends
3. Hawkeye-MASH
4. Jeremy Goodwin-Sports Night
5. Dr. Cox-Scrubs

Of course, of all time characters in drama or sitcoms.

1. Buffy Anne Summers-Buffy The Vampire Slayer
2. Ed-Ed
3. Homer Simpson-The Simpsons
4. Josh-The West Wing
5. President Bartlett-THe West Wing

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawkeye

Edit: And Parker Lewis.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Niles and Frasier Crane get my vote.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Al Bundy.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
Of course, of all time characters in drama or sitcoms.

1. Buffy Anne Summers-Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Really? Buffy was always my least favorite recurring character in her eponymous series.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Delurking to point out some notable omissions. Surely Archie Bunker should receive some attention in this list? No one has mentioned any character from Barney Miller, which I find almost criminal. My personal fav from that show was Dietrich. I'm also surprised that Jim Ignatowski, Louie De Palma, and Latka Gravas from Taxi aren't garnering any mention.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, somebody should have mentioned Taxi.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Reverend Jim and Latka from Taxi
Written by docmagik about 23 posts up.

Edit: Oh, haha, your docmagik, I'm an idiot. Sarcasm flies straight over my head sometimes. I guess I just don't pay too much attention to who's saying what sometimes.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zapp Brannigan from Futurama.
I agree. I would pay a lot of money to see a series, episode, or even a scene featuring the following characters: Zapp Brannigan, Dr. Cox, and George Costanza.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Willow was the best Buffy character, followed by Xander. Forget Buffy, Angel, and Spike.

As far as sitcoms go, no one's mentioned Arnold Judas Rimmer either.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked nerd willow. I was sad when she became cool.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
As far as sitcoms go, no one's mentioned Arnold Judas Rimmer either.

Except, uhh, Baron Samedi about 40 posts ago.

Although, I'm not sure why he deserves a mention. I have no love for Rimmer. Holly, though, now there was a character. Male Holly, not female Holly.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Really? Buffy was always my least favorite recurring character in her eponymous series.
Well, Xander is my favorite character, but she is probably the greatest character in drama. Her development as a character was undeniably complicated and interesting. Willow may have undergone the most change (BTW, I cant stand Willow) but Buffy's story is the most complicated and greatest. And even though I like Xander just a little more, she is still pretty cool in my book.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Senoj: My bad. But Arnold Rimmer was hilarious. Much better than Holly.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Her development as a character was undeniably ... interesting.
Um... ahem. I don't know if your gonna want to be throwing around the word "undeniably" all willy-nilly like that, 'cause, well, I'm gonna go ahead and deny it. Buffy may well be incredibly complicated, and I've watched my fair share of TV (including this particular show), but her character and it's development, were, in my most humble opinion, most defenitely not interesting.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked the character Buffy. I didn't like her at the start, and none of her changes helped.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Yeah, somebody should have mentioned Taxi.

Yeah, somebody should pay closer attention to those that post ahead of them. [Wink]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Karen - Will and Grace
Rose - The Golden Girls/ The Golden Palace
Ms. Piggy - Numerous
Cliff Huckstable - The Cosby Show
Denny Crane - Boston Legal (Not a sitcom character, but funny in his own right)

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Um... ahem. I don't know if your gonna want to be throwing around the word "undeniably" all willy-nilly like that, 'cause, well, I'm gonna go ahead and deny it. Buffy may well be incredibly complicated, and I've watched my fair share of TV (including this particular show), but her character and it's development, were, in my most humble opinion, most defenitely not interesting.
Uh does it help that I meant undeniably complicated, and then interesting separate from that? I have no doubt that there are some who dont believe she was an interesting character, as evidenced above. I dont know what it is, but I enjoy characters that are tormented--Batman, Buffy, and Anakin Skywalker are just a few. In a way, when they overcome that torment to become heroes, it becomes even more powerful.
vonk
Member # 9027

Ah, I gotcha. I assumed that"undeniably" qualified both adjectives, but I was wrong. You go witcha bad self. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by punwit:
Delurking to point out some notable omissions. Surely Archie Bunker should receive some attention in this list? No one has mentioned any character from Barney Miller, which I find almost criminal. My personal fav from that show was Dietrich. I'm also surprised that Jim Ignatowski, Louie De Palma, and Latka Gravas from Taxi aren't garnering any mention.

Ah, Punwit, a fellow parameter-ignorer!
Archie Bunker, for sure!
And the Taxi crew.

punwit
Member # 6388

And a not-very-observant poster as well. It's a wee bit embarrasing to call folks out for missing the obvious while doing the same.

Hi Elizabeth! I hope you are having a stellar summer!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hi Punwit,
Two more weeks, and the summer will be stellar. It is lunar, so far.

I feel so at home, knowing someone else had the same Friday night line-up that I did: Brady's, Nanny and the Professor, The Partridge Family.

We have to stick together!

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
...I enjoy characters that are tormented--Batman, Buffy, and Anakin Skywalker are just a few. In a way, when they overcome that torment to become heroes, it becomes even more powerful.

Buffy and Anakin? You're not helping your case here. [Wink]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt like the Buffy writers were grasping at straws. I realize this is untrue. Much of the series was actually planned years in advance. But it just felt that way. I still watched every now and then. Spike was amusing, and I had this thing for Alyson Hannigan for awhile. Never was a Geller fan.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Bender - Futurama
Arnold Rimer - Red Dwarf
Baldrick - Blackadder
Victor Meldrew - One Foot in the Grave
Del Boy Trotter - Only Fools and Horses

Yeah, I'm British. Sue me. [Wink]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:

Why?
Are they terrible because you don't like the genre(or whatever "correct" way one refers to tv shows), or because sitcoms don't measure up to some sort of sitcom standard?

When I was in the sixth grade, my friends and I adored all the sitcoms. By the time we were in high school, the sitcoms had become so stupid. I remember talking to my best friend about how TV had gotten so dumb, when it was so clever just a few years ago. Her answer explained it all. "The shows were just as dumb then, you just thought they were clever because they are all aimed at a sixth grade level."

I still feel that way, and rarely tune in to any of them. The last sitcom I made a point to catch was "Seinfeld". Now, I hardly watch TV at all.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
David Brent
David Brent
David Brent
David Brent
David Brent

The only tv character whose antics compelled me to cover my ears while yelling "OMG HE'S NOT DOING THIS!!!""

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Change that... I replace Ms. Piggy with

Blooregard Kuzoo - Foster's home of imaginary friends.

The funniest show on television, certianly qualifying as a sitcom.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Buffy and Anakin? You're not helping your case here. [Wink]
LOL, yeah ok maybe not Anakin...
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:

Why?

When I was in the sixth grade, my friends and I adored all the sitcoms. By the time we were in high school, the sitcoms had become so stupid. I remember talking to my best friend about how TV had gotten so dumb, when it was so clever just a few years ago. Her answer explained it all. "The shows were just as dumb then, you just thought they were clever because they are all aimed at a sixth grade level."

I still feel that way, and rarely tune in to any of them. The last sitcom I made a point to catch was "Seinfeld". Now, I hardly watch TV at all.

I know how this goes. So many shows are so dippy, so mundane, so boring and corny and dumb with irratating stereotypical characters. They are just the lowest form of entertainment
Except for shows like Bernie Mac and Everybody Hates Chris. Now that's good stuff. Very funny, great characters too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie Mac is hilarious. I'm a big fan of the laughs on Yes, Dear too.

I've gone from watching no TV to watching one show regularly. The End Has Come!

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.