FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy, funny movie list (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Happy, funny movie list
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You consider "Napoleon Dynamite" to be kind, gentle humor? I cringed in more sympathetic embarrassment while watching that movie than I have in a long time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I definetly cringe at embarassment humour... Eeee.

But, Amelie really is a delightful movie.
I think the New Peter Pan movie is funny in bits.
Can't think of any other ones... I don't know if I am a big fan of most comedies, but Wedding Singer is really cute and sweet. I also liked 50 First Dates.
I doubt you'd like 40 year old virgin, but that movie was sweeter and funnier than I thought it would be, better than Wedding Crashers which just annoyed me. Do people actually fall for lines like that?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom-

I think my interpretation of Napoleon Dynamite is colored by having grown up in the area where it is set. For me, I found all the characters very lovable, because I knew them all from when I was young. It's sort of nostalgic for me.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Bedazzled with Brandon Frasier
National Treasure
League of X O Gentlemen
Down Periscope
Goonies
She-Devil, both the British verision and the one with Roseanne
Tootise
the one with Bruce Willis,

Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn - the women take apotion to keep them young

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Is 40 Year Old Virgin really okay? Or is it all potty humor, which is what it looked like from the trailer?

I need some new movies.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend a couple of Steve Martin movies that I think were miles ahead of The Jerk that made the Bravo list. The Man with Two Brains and All of Me are two of my all time favorite goofy, funny movies. I'd also suggest Midnight Run although I don't think I'd classify it as a happy funny movie, more in the sarcastic funny vein.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some of it is very raunchy... I watched the unedited version and sometimes my sense of humour gets like that. *big fan of South Park and idiotic puns*
But I liked that movie because it was actually rather sweet outside of all the dumb male remarks about sex, but they learned stuff and he learned stuff and-

Spoiler-

They waited until they got married to have sex. That was interesting.

/Spoiler

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I love South Park.

But I hate stupid college sex movies.

And Tom Green. Oh, how I hate Tom Green. And Jack Black.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I hate... Will Ferrel. He annoys me so much...
It wasn't exactly a stupid sex movie. I didn't expect to like it, but it really wasn't so bad and made me think a bit too.

But, after American Pie, enough stupid teenager sex movies. Especially when they have gross jokes with no warmth between the characters.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
No emotional warmth? Heh.

The only movie that immediately comes to mind is The Princess Bride, but that's been mentioned. [Smile]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the world has no one mentioned Robin Hood: Men in Tights?!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Shop around the corner.

great movie.

If you are willing to break the satiric rule...I love Happy Gilmore.

"What, friends listen to endless love in the dark." [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Why in the world has no one mentioned Robin Hood: Men in Tights?!

Because it's not out on DVD in the states yet? [Frown] I know I always forget about it because I don't actually have it.

I know this probably won't be what you're looking for, but I have to agree with everyone who has said Blazing Saddles. I just watched that with my parents the other night (again) and loved it. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's available in the new Mel Brooks box set.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn - the women take apotion to keep them young
Death Becomes Her? (I enjoy that movie, though I could never explain why).
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
'While you were sleeping' was cute and funny... I just like Sandra Bulluck (I know I'm mispelling her name and possibly 'mispelling')

The Congeniality movies would probably be a little mean hearted... But two weeks notice was funny too.

But those have got romance... just not as the main plot in 'While you were sleeping'.

Two weeks notice was a little bit more of a blatent Romantic comedy.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't there more Marx Brothers movies on this list?
I highly recommend most of them. And don't skip the "boring" harp solos.

Also, Being There (Peter Sellers)

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

The Muppets take Manhattan.

Best Little Whorehouse (See it if only for Charles Durning's number "The Sidestep" -- brilliant!)

I thought Mars Attacks was pretty funny

Blazing Saddles is a definite!

The Producers (the new one is great, original is dated but pretty funny)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I also second Wallace & Grommit

Also:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (John Candy and Charles Grodin)

I also have to agree that Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin created a masterpiece in All of Me

[ June 04, 2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I saw Arsenic and Old Lace in there. There is little that can pick me up like that gem.

"I'm not a Brewster, I'm the son of a sea cook! Chaaaaaaarge!"

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fifth Element. Seriously, even after a million viewings, I still laugh at this movie.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
About a Boy
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
About a Boy

I like that movie even though Hugh Grant annoys me
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.