FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hey Os fans: Remember 12 year old Jeffrey Maier?

Author Topic: hey Os fans: Remember 12 year old Jeffrey Maier?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
No?

quote:
The date is Oct. 9, 1996. It's Game 1 of the American League Championship Series between the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles. The visiting Orioles are up by a run. Up to the plate steps a rookie by the name of Derek Jeter. Pitcher Armando Benitez throws the ball, Jeter swings, and it's a deep fly to right field. Orioles outfielder Tony Tarasco is settling under the ball. And then fate intervenes. Jeffrey Maier, 12 years old and a rabid Yankees fan, reaches over the stands and catches the ball. Tarasco yells for interference. Umpire Richie Garcia says nope, it's a home run. And the two teams were never the same again.
Read on.

quote:
And now, according to the front-page of today's Washington Post, the Baltimore Orioles -- yes, the Baltimore Orioles -- are seriously thinking of taking him in the first-year player draft next week.
--j_k, who is enjoying the irony.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that this morning. Of course I gave up on the Orioles when the Nats moved in to town.

It does seem wrong that a die hard Yankees fan would play for the Orioles. Though I guess to get out of the minors, most players would go anywhere.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a riot! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Cubs should offer Bartman a contract.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
Maybe the Cubs should offer Bartman a contract.

True Story
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I definitely remember that little $#&@*#@. The only person I can think of who is more hated by O's fans is Peter Angelos.

But, considering how good the O's have been in recent years and how wonderful our farm system is, I have to agree with this post from O's discussion board about the topic:

quote:
Good!

So let's draft him, he'll wash out, and end up pumping gas in Oklahoma and living in a trailer until he and his ugly, fat wife named Bobby Joe lose everything in a F4 tornado. He deserves what's comin' to him.

Of course, if he turns out to be good and helps us win, that'd be poetic justice as well.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget about Cito Gaston, manager of the Blue Jays in the early 90s. He managed the 1993 All Star game in Baltimore and didn't even put Mike Musina on the mound for 1 pitch. He's the only other person in baseball to give me the same reaction as Jeffery Meier. Sure, I can't stand Angelos, but Jeffery and Cito really tick me off. And Bob Irsay.

Patrick Brown

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, if he turns out to be good and helps us win, that'd be poetic justice as well.
Oh, the things I would give to see that...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the ultimate irony would be for the Yankees and the Orioles to play again in the ALCS. It's game 6 at Yankee Stadium, the Orioles are up 3-2 in the series, and close to winning game 6. Maier's in right field. Then Derek Jeter hits a long fly ball to right... back to the wall... Maier jumps up to catch it... and a 12-year-old Yankees fan leans over the fence to catch it. Maier slumps to the ground, stunned, and there's this Terry Gilliam type moment where he and the 12-year-old boy stare at each other...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it does seem wrong that a die hard Yankees fan would play for the Orioles.
No, no. That would be a die hard Yankees fan playing for the Red Sox.

Or a die hard Red Sox fan playing for the Yankees.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Yankees fans don't concern themselves too much with caring about the Orioles. If it was the Red Sox, it'd be news.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.