FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crash Victims Mistakenly Identified

Author Topic: Crash Victims Mistakenly Identified
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked for this, but I couldn't find a post on it already. But there probably is...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-05-31-indiana-mistaken-identity_x.htm

quote:
The VanRyn family learned Wednesday that the patient they cared for and prayed for the past five weeks is not their Laura.

Laura, it turns out, is dead.

The young woman in the hospital bed, who suffered head injuries in an April 26 highway accident that killed five people, is Whitney Cerak.

Whitney's family thought they buried her weeks ago.

This is so sad.

This is the blog that Laura's family used to chart Whitney's progress, although they thought she was Laura. The latest update was done by Whitney's family.

http://lauravanryn.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is horrible. My heart goes out to BOTH families, but in particular the family who thought she was their daughter.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Something similar happened in the town where I grew up. There was a crash and one of the bodies was mistakenly cremated, which was not the done thing in their family or religion, I'm not sure which. Anyway, it was an insult added to injury. Or more like a cremation added to being killed by a drunk driver.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it incredible? I think the news stories I read said that the girl was initially treated at the hospital I work at.

I spoke to a man this morning who works with the coroner's office here in Allen County (does fire investigative work) and he was telling me that the coroner here would NEVER have been capable of making this mistake. He insists on DNA and extensive testing on every victim, no matter how obvious the identity appears. Apparently the mistake was made at the coroner's office in Grant county.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Where are you from, Theaca? I am only asking because that blog mentioned parents and family from a city named Gaylord, and there is a Gaylord near where my parents live half the year, in northern MI.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

The coroner is stepping down over this too.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Fort Wayne, In. Taylor University is in Upland, In. The girls were both from Michigan, I believe.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just so sad. I have tremendous admiration for the strength of these families and the love that radiates from their blog posts.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiwi, I think the Gaylord you're thinking of is the right one. This has been all over the news around here for a couple days. I feel awful for those families.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as someone who looks spookily similar to a lot of other people I have known - to the extent that my mother once confused me with another girl (we even shared same birthday! And were born in the same place, as it turned out - but no, she wasn't my long lost evil twin), I find this story terrifying.

Those poor people.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't even imagine how it would feel to be either of those families.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Some more minor thoughts:

I wonder what the Ceraks have done with Whitney's room, belongings, and clothing the past five weeks. They could have given most everything away to charity by now.

I read that the roommate was questioning the identity two weeks ago and there was an investigation started at that time by the school? I wonder what happened there. Since the parents and boyfriend just noticed the problems this week that seems rather interesting.

Oh, video of today's press statement from Taylor University:
http://www.taylor.edu/community/news/2006_06_02_press_conference.htm

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, why is there a biggrin in your post? Please tell me that's a slip of the mouse.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
How terrifying that must have been for Whitney as she woke up and slowly recovered with people she didn't recognize calling her by the wrong name and trying to get her to remember things about someone else's life. She must have thought she was going crazy.

And how awful for Laura's family. [Frown]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.