FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Fantasy Football 2006 league on Yahoo! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Fantasy Football 2006 league on Yahoo!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I set up a football one. I added defensive players this year and changed up the scoring a little to help even it out with the limited number of NFL players and the 20 teams we’ll have. See what you think we can adjust it up until the season starts.

So*………… It’s free. It’s fun. If you’ve never played it’s very easy and you really don’t have to do much if you don’t want to. Basically there is a draft and all the people in the league divide up NFL players onto teams of their own and score points based on their performance. First game is Sept 5th, so there is plenty of time to get in, set up your pre-rankings of your players if you like, have the draft, and do any trading before the season starts.

So* here’s the email Yahoo usually sends out with an invite:

You have been invited to join jaytrek25's Custom League in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football.

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

League ID#: 33022
Password: osc

We will send you a confirmation with further details once you have completed the registration process.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4 8 15 16 23 42
Member # 8708

- posted      Profile for 4 8 15 16 23 42           Edit/Delete Post 
Hup, Hike!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Too early?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Already?

I'd sign up but I always play in my lil brother's league and playing in 2 leagues leads to conflict of interest. =(

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

You can only play in one? Huh? I hate that they limit you to 4 since that makes it so I can only do Hatrack, my buddy Steve’s league, a Public league, and one I set up.
Multiples make it fun since if you are doing bad in one hopefully you’re doing good in the other!

Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I'd prefer to wait a bit, training camps aren't even into full swing yet. But closer to the season opener, I'm game!
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Still early, but never to early to get in!

No draft until end of Aug. See what you think of this years changes.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, as usual. The addition of the defensive players should be an interesting one... [Wink]

Never used fractional points before - should be good to keep me up on adding quarters.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...I might be up for it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went ahead and signed up, gives me something to look forward to.
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed up too.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

That's 5 in. 20 is the max. We had that last year too. So don't get left out!
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am in again. The temptation was just too great.
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will give it a try, although this is a first for me so I am a little bit clueless about how it works.

I like sports, so I imagine I will figure it out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about it... *sigh* time is a concern, but... not drafitng till august, eh?

*waffles*

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

That’s 7 in. Once the spots fill up we can’t add any more.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I registered...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

http://pbskids.org/sesame/number/8.html
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! And I'm seeing quite a few familiar team names. Sopwith, how come you're not the Camels again? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

That makes nine!

Who will be the one that doesn't get in?

Jay
Member # 5786

Ten!

Cupcakes. Just like you all will be to beat! [ROFL]

Jay
Member # 5786

What? Don’t like the Sesame Street counting thing?
Still have open spots if you want them.
Also, when do you all want the draft? How’s the last week in August sound? That way we’ll have a chance to trade, pick up free agents, and get things set before the first game.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am in and registered.
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

Last week in August sounds fine by me.
Jay
Member # 5786

Eleven! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Kwea
Member # 2199

Last week in Aug works for me as well, I guess.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be at the Bears game on the 25th, so that night (Friday) is out for me for draft unless I let the bots do it for me. Also, my other fantasy league drafts the afternoon of 9/3.

Come to think of it, the bots did pretty well for me last season... [Smile]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Choking Paradigm, annual regular season champ or runner up in three of past four years, and also annual playoff disaster has joined up to dominate the regular season again only to gift the title to someone else via choking/and or injuries as per usual [Wink] . One of these years my 13-0/12-1/11-2 record may actually mean something come playoffs but until then, i remain the Choking Paradigm per usual.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

It is an off line draft. Getting 20 people around at the same time to do a live one is something I don’t even want to think about. Off line makes it a level playing field for all. Basically all you have to do is set up your pre rankings. If you don’t want to change them you don’t have to. But suppose you’re like me and don’t want TO. You can put him on your do not draft list. Also you can rank other players higher. It’s easy, but don’t feel like you have to do it. You can get into this as much or a little as you like. Fun for all!
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
its been an offline draft every year, no big difference just a bummer as live drafts are always huge amounts of fun.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

12! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Only 8 spots left!!!! Don't be left out.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Awww, that wasn't the 12 I was hoping for....

Now THIS is Twelve!!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Just registered my team "Zealots"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Friday the 13th person is in. Only 7 spots left
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, using my team "LastYear'sHeroes". Can we have a list of what everyone's Hatrack sn is from the league?

Edit: changed my team name to the one I used last year "The Foundation"

[ August 12, 2006, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: GaalDornick ]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jay, I have a few questions. I am new to FF, and so I went and talked to my BIL who plays in multiple leagues.

He said our scoring was whacked. [Big Grin] He thought it was weird that we had kicking rated so low, and he said that most leagues he played in didn't do specific defensive players. Sometimes they would pick teams defenses...as in an entire defense. He said he thought it would work better.

What types of things did you change compared to the standard league setup? I don't care, really, just wondering how this will work as we have it now.

Will we be able to trade players after the draft? What about picking up players on waivers?

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! Hope I do better at this than the last time I played? I always end up picking the players that get injured.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I think my team nick is pretty obvious LOL
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Kwea, you will be able to trade players after the draft and we do have a waiver wire. The way the waiver wire works is after you pick up a player off the waivers, you get number 14 (since we have 14 teams) and then if you any another player both try to pick up a player off the waivers, he gets priority. Then he gets number 14 and you're moved up to 13, etc.

I'm not very excited about the defensive players, I'd prefer a defensive team as a whole. Individual defensive players are hard to rank off stats. I don't think kicking should be rated highly though. How kickers do in again is pretty high on luck, at least moreso than other players.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Ok, now that I took a closer look at the way the scoring is, that is really whacked. What's up with all these fraction of a points? .25 for a reception? The QB has to throw better than 50% for you to gain points on his completion percentage? This is too hard to rank on players. Especially on an auto draft. I'm not sure how competitive I can get in this league when I feel like I have very little control over hwo my team does. Can we change the way the scoring is if other people agree with me? Or start a new league or something?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm sorry if I sound like a complainer, I just don't think this sounds like fun to me now. Half the fun of this is the live drafts, which I love, and the other half is managing your team. We're not doing a live draft and managing my team effectively seems almost impossible with all of these complicated rules and scoring systems. I'm in favor of starting a new league and putting in the public league rules and possibly having a live draft if we put it on an easy time, like a weekend day, so most people are available. I love live drafts.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Even if we don't do a live draft, I think we need to do something about the scoring. I looked at a few other setups, and none of them have defensive players...you either pick a whole defense or none at all....and their scoring is way different as well.

Jay, I hope you don't think I ma ungrateful for you setting this up....I wouldn't have a clue to do it myself....but you DID ask for input in your original post. It seems overly complicated, particularly since I am fairly new at this. [Big Grin]

Jay
Member # 5786

Ok, I added the defensive players since we have so many people that get in the league. Last year we had 20 and there just aren’t enough offensive players around. So the defensive players add another layer. Last year there were a number of times when you didn’t have a defense to play and nothing out there to pick up. This fixes that big time.
The scoring. I based it off another Yahoo league I’ve been in with another Computer Science guy from my church, which is where I first saw the defensive players in a league. He’s been tweaking it for a number of years and it works pretty good. Looks a little strange, but it balances things out and helps in the long run. Especially in a league with so many people. Let me tell you, this guy is good. He’s even writing his own fantasy football program so he can tweak things even more. Anyway, I know it’s kind of a rough one to say trust me it works, but trust me, it works. I think the points approach it from more of a team angle based on performance then anything.
Trading. Yes, that’s why we should draft early in the last week of August. You’ll have time to put out some trades before the first game of the year.
A live draft would be impossible to set up. Not to mention if you get only half the people there it’s not really fair to the other half that’s not there. Just seems better to have a level playing field for everyone.
Basically it’s set up to be fun for everyone and you can get into it as much or as little as you like.

Jay
Member # 5786

15!!!!!!!!!!!! Only 5 spots left. Don't get left out!
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

If we get only 16 teams in the league, we will have enough for every team to have a defense and a backup, since there are 32 teams. And same goes for QB and RBs. Every team can have two starters for the positions that there are only one of.

But I'm still in favor of using the standard scoring system. I don't see how it makes any difference as to how many teams you have. Even if we have alot of teams I don't think the scoring system makes it any easier. I vote that we should use the standard system we used last year. Anyone else?

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
is there an exact day that the draft will happen I looked and couldn't find out, maybe I am just not seeing it ont he site.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Gaal makes a good point about the defense, actually. Is there a reason we need to have a 20-team league? If it can be changed to 16, then we only need one more to close and go back to having full Ds instead of picking players.

I'd be willing to re-join a new team if that's what's involved.

I can't speak to the scoring issues, although I will say that one of my leagues last year used fractional scoring and it got really confusing for me because, for example, a TD in that league was only worth 2 points and my other two leagues that year and in every prior year were worth 6.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Jay, you think you can change it? Make it so we can have defensive teams and cap it off at 16 teams? And maybe make the scoring the way it was last year?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play either way, with or without the fractional points and defensive players.

I've never actually used the individual defensive players before, and I can see the "too many people for offense only" aspect. Then again, part of the fun of having so many players and so few starters (relatively) is finding the diamonds in the rough. [Dont Know] That doesn't really matter.

The fractional points is going to be a pain in the butt for figuring out in real time what the scores are going to be and trying to grab someone for the late Sunday/Monday game. Otherwise, I don't think it'll make that much of a difference.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I still think we’ll get to 20. People tend to get in at the last minute. 16 is still to many really for team defenses. Yes you can have two per team, but even with two you can have a possibility of having two teams with bye weeks. Happened to multiple people last year. Individual players are really kind of fun. I think you all will like it.
Sure scoring is different, but it’s not like you have to do anything with it. It does it for you. Yes, we can still change it, would have been nice to have this all brought up a few weeks ago instead of after grad school started…. I really think the way it’s set up now will make it so it can be competitive and fun for all. Last years was ok, but kind of blah. It was lacking in a number of areas and I think the changes help with the problems we had last year. So I’d really rather not go back to last year’s system.
Don’t be afraid to try something new! This isn’t something I’ve just thrown together, it’s specifically set up for leagues with lots of players and has been tweaked for a few season.

An exact date to set the draft for ready? How about the 27th? A week before the season starts.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.