FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oregon Pastor warns that an earthquake will devaste Willamette Valley June 18 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Oregon Pastor warns that an earthquake will devaste Willamette Valley June 18
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so it's 12:09 am on the East Coast. Any 9.2 earthquakes yet? Any tsunamis on the West Coast? Did I miss it?

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGA!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
'bout 15 minutes left before it is 19 June.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOSH THE EARTH IS SHAKING HE'S RIGHT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!

Oh. Wait. Never mind. That was my stomach rumbling.

Carry on with your business.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Is he going to become a hermit now, to live out his shame in solitude?

Obviously he's not fit to preach any more, since the god he thinks he's listening to lies to him.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream last night.

In it God turned his hand away from Oregon, saying to all, "Hey, you know what. That parade wasn't too bad after all."

Instead God set his sites on Washington DC, where on October 12th, 2006, a magnitude 4 hurricane will sweep in, devastating the city, and cause a 8.2 magnitude Earthquake. In the wreckage will be found these words: "Thou Shall Not Bear False Witness..."

Of all the major buildings of the city, only the Washington Monument will remain standing, since after all, that guy never told a lie.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually feel a little sorry for the guy. I had a few dreams when I was younger that, had I not dismissed them, could easily have been interpreted as God speaking to me. And had I believed more strongly in His existence, and had I been a clergyman theoretically supposed to be "righteous" enough to hear His message, I'd've probably felt compelled to share them with people.

I wonder if he will now revisit some of his earlier assumptions, or if he'll just write this one off as a crossed signal.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MoonRabbit, it's usually not a good idea to use South Park as your sole source of information about a religion or ethnic group.
Dog, will you be on my team?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Of all the major buildings of the city, only the Washington Monument will remain standing, since after all, that guy never told a lie.

No, no, even that will fall. All that will remain will be one... lone... cherry tree.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I owe Tom $1. Can I throw it in a charity box somewhere?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. Could I have donated your $50 to charity?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Well I'd like to think I would have had you donate it to the earthquake relief, but its your call.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*laugh* Go ahead. But I want to see a scan of the receipt. [Wink]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I think it should go to a "Gay Rights" organization.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Smile] The sad thing is, I don't think I'll ever get to hear MoonRabbit respond. That's the sad part about discussing things in an anonymous, invisible forum. People can just come in and say dumb, insulting things, then fade away without accounting for themselves.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

And lo, my vision has been sharpened.

Star Lisa was right when she said the great phallic symbol of honesty shall not long survive the cities destruction. It shall teeter, and it shall fall, and it shall land upon the greatest barer of false withness of them all. Like the finger of God it shall point out, and smoosh like a cockroach, the fiend who for pride and profit, would profane Gods truth of creation with thier own limited lies. Only the worst of the offenders, the crown prince of spin, the lord of the lies, shall be so eviscerated.

So I beseech all of thee, after the destruction of DC, gather those surviving politicians and pundits, the lawyers and lobbyists, the agents and actors, Shock Jock's and Televangelists, even the fiction writers who claim to seek truth, but usually just seek a living, putting lies on paper. March them under the teetering monument so that God can show us the worst of a bad lot. We shall know this grad vizier of lies but the simple sign that the Washington Monument shall land upon them.

Subtlety is for sinners.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Pastor Day has written or spoken about this? The website is still saying that the cataclysm is coming. I'd be very interested to know how he's handling it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been checking to see if there was an update too. I would love to hear what he thinks of the dream in light of what didn't happen.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MoonRabbit, it's usually not a good idea to use South Park as your sole source of information about a religion or ethnic group.
Actually, Mormonism is one of the few religions (along with scientology) that was invented after the advent of the printing press and newspapers. There is a complete secular historic record of Joseph Smith's entire life and the development of Mormonism as a religion. My source is The Golden Bible by M.T. Lamb, published in 1887. In addition to the "sacred" texts, there are also compilations of J. S.'s other writings and many biographies that don't jibe with the church's official version of events. South Park? That's pretty lame, even for a straw man argument.

quote:
you really should stop reading those books on Mormons. Most of them are pretty stupid.
Wow. Just wow. I guess I should stop reading books on Native American archaeology, too, because the evidence doesn't support the Book of Mormon.

I have to concede one point, though. You're right about the stolen pages never being found. It's been almost 30 years since I read the book, so it's amazing I remember it at all. It wasn't that the pages were found, it was that J.S. was afraid they would be found, so he was "divinely" directed that the first version was incomplete, or a condensed version, or something like that. Don't believe me? Good. Look it up yourself.

I didn't intend to start a flamewar. I guess this isn't the place to say anything that could be construed as a challenge to anyone's cherished beliefs.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

MR,
While I agree that Dog's remarks were out of line, you didn't present yourself very well either. If you're going to make attacks on a religion on a forum that has a large population of people of that religion, you should expect to be held to a much higher standard of evidence for your claims than you provided.

Also, while I think you could argue that your statements were concerning facts, there is a explicit rule on Hatrack that attacking others' religious beliefs is not permissible. I don't think you completely crossed the line and you can totally present the accounts from your sources without fearing censure, but your tone seemed pretty hostile to me.

And that's from someone who, in as much as he cares about LDS, is pretty sympathetic to your position.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
[in the interest of clarity, this is A Rat Named Dog under an alias]

Sorry I got a bit frustrated there, MoonRabbit. But really, while I understand that to people who haven't experienced my faith the way I have, the things I believe are easy to doubt, at the same time, mere cynicism about the motives of a religious leader you disagree with isn't solid enough ground from which to bash someone's religion.

Obviously you don't find our background convincing. If you did, you'd probably be a Mormon. So, with that established, I think we can probably leave the mocking comments aside as a pursuit that wastes everyone's time and reflects rather poorly on you.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a Mormon and I was a little offended by your tone, MR.

Check yourself, THEN worry about others.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to work ten hours yesterday, so this is the first chance I have had to come on line after the 18th.

Since the predicted earthquake and flood did not occur, I looked for some kind of comment on Pastor Day's church's website, but did not see any. I have sent an e-mail to pastor Day to ask him if he has a comment he would like to share.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
See, Lisa, I knew he'd come back. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

They always come back . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

[Angst]

Angsty conga . . .

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of expecting a reply mentioning Jonah, which could actually be a valid reference. Not being him, I honestly can't say. Although this whole thing really does strike me as a tad ridiculous.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
The Eathquake never happened, did it?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Not this year.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
quote:
[Smile] The sad thing is, I don't think I'll ever get to hear MoonRabbit respond. That's the sad part about discussing things in an anonymous, invisible forum. People can just come in and say dumb, insulting things, then fade away without accounting for themselves.
STUPIDFACE!!!!!!!!

:::Runs away laughing Maniacally:::

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I wonder if he will now revisit some of his earlier assumptions, or if he'll just write this one off as a crossed signal.

I think that we can assume that since man was supposed to have been molded in God's image, and man strives, according to Plato, to become as Godlike as possible, then perhaps God was simply experiencing a mild case of Cellular Dropout, to update the "crossed signal" analogy. He ought to get a better plan, he really must be wasting his minutes if he's spending his time on the phone with Pat Robertson. [Wink]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

*bump* as a sort of counter point to the recent Pat Robertson "prophecy"
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested that the earthquake prophecy seems to have disappeared from the website linked to in the original post. I wonder how that turned out for the congregation. At least the pastor there had the guts to make a specific prediction -- time, place, and event. Making a vague guess as to what might happen in the next year isn't really that impressive. We all could make a guess like that given what we know, though I think a major terrorist attack (thousands dead) won't happen anyway, at least not in the U.S. Here's my "prophecy": there will be a small-scale terrorist attack (less than 100 dead) and Robertson will claim this is the fulfillment of his prophecy.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Simple, the priest and his congregation prayed and begged God not to allow the earthquake to occur, and their prayers were answered.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I was interested that the earthquake prophecy seems to have disappeared from the website linked to in the original post. I wonder how that turned out for the congregation. At least the pastor there had the guts to make a specific prediction -- time, place, and event.

Agreed. While there are a lot of things you can say about this guy, he definitely didn't come across as attention seeking the way a lot of these people spouting prophesies do. He said what he had to say, and then let it drop. I don't care much for prophesy, but I do like it when people are honest about it.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At least the pastor there had the guts to make a specific prediction -- time, place, and event. Making a vague guess as to what might happen in the next year isn't really that impressive.
Maybe not "impressive" to you, but it's a time-honored tradition. Remember Jesus's "no man knoweth the hour" caveat? That little tidbit has kept the bulk of Christianity in a "last days" mindset for nearly 2000 years. I find that very impressive, if not also more than a little pernicious. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd, Jesus did not only say that no man knows the day and hour of His coming, He also said that we can have a general idea of when it is due, and likened it to the signs we commonly recognize as harbingers of spring or summer. So He was implying we should be able to know when the season (or general time) for His coming is near.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
End of Days.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, what I recall - and I know that you will be more familiar with the verses - the signs He mentions are not all that specific. War, famine, persecution. He also mentions the destruction of the Temple but that happened and we are still here.

I think that "no man knowest the hour" tells us that, instead of focus on trying to guess when, we should always be living the kind of life we would want to be leading.

edit to add: Also it should be remembered that eschatology was part of the culture of the time. It has been, from time to time, a part of many different culture and religions.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
KarlEd, Jesus did not only say that no man knows the day and hour of His coming, He also said that we can have a general idea of when it is due, and likened it to the signs we commonly recognize as harbingers of spring or summer. So He was implying we should be able to know when the season (or general time) for His coming is near.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I also know that there have been learned men of every age since then who have expected it within their own generation or the next (or maybe the next, but "soon" at any rate).
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.