FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We've Got Tonight...

Author Topic: We've Got Tonight...
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
...who needs tomorrow?

I've always liked the song, the tune is so sweet. But when it came on the radio today, I actually listened to the lyrics and decided that I just hate this song.
quote:
I know its late, I know you're weary
I know your plans don't include me

The guy keeps singing to the woman who has already told him, "Enough. Good night." He keeps begging her to forget about everything else and just spend the night with him.

Buddy, "no" means "no". If she were willing to spend the night with you, you wouldn't have to keep on begging and cajoling for all those verses. Why in the world should she forget about tomorrow? Tomorrow, she may well be having regrets, be worrying about having picked up some nasty disease from you or be wondering if she should stop at the pharmacy for some "Plan B".

I want to add more lyrics with the woman's response. She enjoyed their time together, but she DOES need tomorrow. She is interested in a relationship that lasts beyond the night, and if he doesn't care about that, and won't accept her demurral, then he is not the right one for her.

I am getting so old, I can barely stand myself.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure how appropriate it is, but when I read this I laughed out loud for a good 20 seconds.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Baby, it's cold outside.

That's my favorite begging for nookie song.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
The guy keeps singing to the woman who has already told him, "Enough. Good night." He keeps begging her to forget about everything else and just spend the night with him.

Buddy, "no" means "no".

There are worse songs. The horrible "Fire", which was written by Bruce Springsteen, but most memorably performed by the Pointer Sisters:
quote:
I'm riding in your car, you turn on the radio.
You pullin' me close, I just say no.
I say I don't like it, but you know I'm a liar.
'Cause when we kiss, ooh, fire.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: The Elmer Fudd version is the definitive version of that song.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Pix, I bow to your superior memory. I can't imagine how I forgot that one.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar reaction to A-ha's "Take On Me" recently. It is one of my absolutely favorite songs from my youth. Loved the tune, loved the video. So I was excited to see it was on [i]Karaoke Revolution Party[i]... until I actually played the song, and went [Eek!] at some of the lyrics:

quote:
Take on me (take on me)
Take me on (take on me)
I'll be gone
In a day or two

and

quote:

You're shying away
I'll be coming for you anyway

[Frown] I'm very disappointed. I really loved this song. [Frown]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That would be my anthem if it had a tune.

Sometimes I write posts and delete them because even I find them tiresome. I figure when my son really hits adolescence I'll just have to have my mouth sewn shut so I can keep from boring myself to death with all the lectures I hated as a kid.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. I don't actually "get" those lyrics. What does Take on me mean, anyway?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok, you can still love songs that have depict immoral actions. I love Rick James and yet ...

quote:
When I came home last night
You wouldn't make love to me
You went fast asleep
You wouldn't even talk to me

You say I'm so crazy
Coming home intoxicated
I say just want to love you, I just wanna love you, baby
Guess that's why I'm so elated, come on, girl

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
How about that really awful Meatloaf song, Dashboard light or something like that...basically he's begging for some in the car for the entire song which goes on forever and ever.

Of course there are countless dance, pop, R & B, or Hip Hop songs that leave nothing to the imagination.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I love Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. She totally owns him in that song. They used to show the video before showings of Rocky Horror when I was in college.

But it's true, I don't usually focus on the lyrics of songs. I love the song (Don't Fear) The Reaper, despite the lyrics (and despite the swastikas), as well as Blinded by the Light, which I can't even understand.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
The song I've always hated is "More than Words" by ... Extreme? Right?

quote:
More than words to show you feel
that your love for me is real.
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me,
'cause I'd already know.

What would you say
if they took those words away?
Then you couldn't make things new,
just by saying "I love you."

Loser.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked 'Every step you take' by The Police despite the lyrics. Icky stalker. [Angst]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people who hear Splender's "I Think God Can Explain" think it's a sweet song.

It's a stalker song, too.

"But you're the only face I recognize. It's so damn sweet of you to look me in the eyes."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The two that really bug me (that everyone else seems to like) are "Funny Valentine" - honestly, I'd smack the guy - and "From a Distance" which is exactly wrong.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
The song I've always hated is "More than Words" by ... Extreme? Right?

quote:
More than words to show you feel
that your love for me is real.
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me,
'cause I'd already know.

What would you say
if they took those words away?
Then you couldn't make things new,
just by saying "I love you."

Loser.
That's such a pretty song.
Narnia
Member # 1071

It is pretty to listen to, but the words are those of just another guy who's begging for some.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
"From a Distance" which is exactly wrong.

Yes! I keep saying that, and no one seems to get it!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
From a Distance is a whiney anti-war song from the first gulf war.

I don't even know what she's means by "God is watching us from a distance". Does she think that god sees a rosey world because he's not down amongst us? That's really horrible way to view the world.

The tune sounds so inspiring too..

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
It is pretty to listen to, but the words are those of just another guy who's begging for some.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard of More Than Words being interpretted that way. I've always read the lyrics as an indictment of the woman in the relationship only paying lip service to love, and not showing it in her actions: non-sexual ones that contribute to a relationship and let someone know you love them.

Even if you want to interpret it physically, why would you automatically conclude he's talking about sex? He could just as easily be missing the little things: a hand slipping into his while they're watching TV on the couch, a kiss goodbye before he leaves for work, a tight hug for no reason in the middle of the day.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that's the first time I've ever heard of More Than Words being interpretted that way.
That's amazing that you've never heard it interpreted that way. I remember it being referred to as the "If you love me you'll do with me" song back when it was still on the radio.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always interpreted it the same as Narnia, as a guy trying to talk a girl into sex. I don't know that I could give you a "why," it just seemed to obviously be what it was about.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Pixiest, I feel the same way about "From A Distance." If it's supposed to bring us hope, it really doesn't. "From a distance the world looks just fine and God is watching us from a distance....so basically, he's uninvolved." That's what I get from that song. [Smile]

Eljay and Porter, I'm glad I'm not the only one. [Wink]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
From a Dog's Stance You have to scroll down quite a ways.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
And who cares if the world looks fine from a distance? That's so superficial. [Wink]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Paradise By the Dashboard Lights is a song that details perfectly the teenage hormone drama AND the consequences of succumbing to that desire.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
That's amazing that you've never heard it interpreted that way. I remember it being referred to as the "If you love me you'll do with me" song back when it was still on the radio.
You'll have to forgive me, but I'm only 22 and I was pop music illiterate until I was about 14, so my knowledge about these things is limited at best. When did Extreme put it out, anyway? I'm guessing sometime in the 80's. Edit: 1990, apparently.

quote:
I've always interpreted it the same as Narnia, as a guy trying to talk a girl into sex. I don't know that I could give you a "why," it just seemed to obviously be what it was about.
It makes me sad that this is an automatic assumption. What does that say about us as people that we would automatically assume that? What does that say about MEN?

Rhetorical questions. I think I know the answers...and they're what make me sad.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never interpreted "More than words" that way. I had more or less the same interpretation as erosomniac. But then, I have always tended to be naively trusting. *shrug*

-o-

I despise "From a Distance" also. I absolutely hate it when I sense that an artist is being manipulative.

-o-

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light" is a brilliant song! It is clearly tongue-in-cheek, and so it is a lampoon of the attitude you are describing, not an example of it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I have two dear friends who lip-synced "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" at their wedding reception, as the first song.

She:
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life!?
Will you take me away and will you make me your wife!?
I gotta know right now
Before we go any further
Do you love me!!!?
Will you love me forever!!!?

He:
Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it
And I'll give you my answer in the morning.

It was kind of adorable.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Another argument in favor of "More Than Words" as a 'begging for it' song:
quote:
Now I've tried to talk to you and make you understand
All you have to do is close your eyes
And just reach out your hands and touch me
Hold me close don't ever let me go

I don't think I've ever had a conversation about this song before, but that's always the way I've interpreted it. Pretty melody, irritating message.

Plus, talk about nails on chalkboard, grammatically speaking:
quote:
Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

I don't think I've ever had a conversation about this song before, but that's always the way I've interpreted it. Pretty melody, irritating message.

Again, why read this as sex? Nothing about it says "Dude. This is sex." It's a yearning for physical closeness. He could just as easily be describing a HUG.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

He wants a hug?
quote:
Plus, talk about nails on chalkboard, grammatically speaking:
quote:
Saying I love you
Is not the words I want to hear from you

Yes, that part has always irritated me. Far more then any perceived message.

(If you want to talk about annoying interpretations, how about John Mayer's song "Daughters"?)

EDIT to fix formatting and to note that erosomniac beat me to it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked

"You say it best . . . when you say nothing at all."

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I first heard More Than Words when it came out, and I was still swooning from reading Anne of the Island. Gilbert asks Anne to marry him, and she's so overcome with love and emotion that she can't say anything, she just looks at him. He understands - she doesn't have to say anything. He can read it in her face.

Looking at the lyrics more closely, I don't think that's what the song is saying, but it was an interpretation that worked for me. Mostly because the concept of someone asking for sex as proof of love was unimaginable.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I think I'll ignore this discussion of More Than Words in this thread and continue with my delusion that the man is simply looking for the little things in life more than lip-service "I love you" (Like I used to get from my ex-boyfriend)

The song is pretty and I don't want further examination of the lyrics to ruin that for me.

Pix

Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm with Pix. Maybe they intended it to mean sex, but that's not at all the way I hear it. I think erosomniac said it best:
quote:
Even if you want to interpret it physically, why would you automatically conclude he's talking about sex? He could just as easily be missing the little things: a hand slipping into his while they're watching TV on the couch, a kiss goodbye before he leaves for work, a tight hug for no reason in the middle of the day.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump, I was flipping channels last night and was reminded of this thread.

Prince's 1999 video was on and I was laughing at the outfits when I heard the lyric

"There's a lion in my pocket and baby he's ready to roar."

I always liked this song when i was a kid, I guess my 6 year old brain didn't get it. I’m not offended now by the content, just at how painfully bad the lyrics are.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Baby, it's cold outside.

That's my favorite begging for nookie song.

My first boyfriend used to sing that song to me all the time.. [Blushing]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.