FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddles! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Riddles!
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize in advance for *possible* over use of commas

1:
I sleep in the ocean, a large drinking glass,
I am used in potions, healing, and mass.
I am the rythym of the waves,
I hit the beaches and the caves.

What am I?

2:
One word am I, I travel back to here,
I go at speeds that many would fear,
Competing against others to get first place,
I always try to win first place,
My name is the same, front and back,
Cheer for me when I'm on the track.

What am I?

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Water
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
2) Racecar

I thought 1 was too obvious so must be wrong.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

You wouldn't believe how deep and long my family thought about these.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Is #2 Radar, or was Papa right?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Papa and Dan are right (I need better riddles!) Feel free to add your own.

3:
I can help you see what is far
I can travel with you in the car
I have been used in times of old
I've shown land and stars and wonders to behold!

Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Is #2 Radar

Just wondering, how did you get radar?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a place you gotta go, I'm the one you need to know....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the going fast, beating other things, and what was the clincher for me was the name is the same front and back. I thought it was referring to a palindrome. Mostly I just made it harder than it was [Blushing]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A map.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I'm assuming Tante is correct (it was my guess, as anyone who has watched Dora the Explorer knows).
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Tante's wrong.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
a telescope
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking it was glasses.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Mandy's got it!

4:
Often am I overlooked, so often am I used
It's me you find when your body is tired and bruised
So long ago I could not move, but that all has changed
Sometimes on me your arms can rest, or your back if it is pained.

What am I?

(I think this one is a little more vauge)

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Those had both occurred to me as well (though I discounted a telescope as something that would normally travel with you in a car), but I still think map is a better answer. To be honest, I'm pressed to think of any answer better than map. But when I hear the correct one, maybe I'll soften my stance.

[Edit -- nope. Sorry.]

Jeesh
Member # 9163

I was thinking of one of those small telescopes (or rather a spyglass I think is the proper term)

Maps also show only what is known. By "wonders to behold" I meant what is both discovered and undiscovered. With a telescope/spyglass you could find a new planet or star. not with a map.

On the other hand, a map does work for an answer. It can show you where the "wonders" are Both work. A double answer riddle!

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, I agree that map was a better answer.

The next one is a icepack or a heating pad?

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I was thinking it might be a bed or a chair.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Hmm, ok that last riddle is really bad now that I reread it. If you still want to guess, your answers are wrong.

Someone else post a riddle! Mine are growing worse!

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Pillow?
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Whoa! Skip my last post, Papa's right, it's a chair.

OK, a friend of mine told me this one and I haven't solved it yet.

Why do women pray?
Why do kids hate school?
Why do people get divorced?

All three questions have the same answer.

Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Boredom?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of kids.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I don't think thats it.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of my favorite riddle, as outlined in a comic book about the origin of the Riddler. The Riddler is being interviewed by a reporter.

Riddler: What's green, sits in a bathtub and whistles?

Reporter: I have no idea.

Riddler: A salami.

Reporter: That makes no sense.

Riddler: Sure it does.

Reporter: A salami isn't green.

Riddler: You can paint it green.

Reporter: A salami doesn't sit in a bathtub.

Riddler: You can put it in a bathtub.

Reporter: But a salami doesn't whistle.

Riddler: I know. I just put that in to make it difficult.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Well, the going fast, beating other things, and what was the clincher for me was the name is the same front and back. I thought it was referring to a palindrome. Mostly I just made it harder than it was [Blushing]

It was a palindrome. Racecar is the same front and back, so you were on the right track.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
Racecar is the same front and back, so you were on the right track.

Pun intended?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I sit under the all-seeing eye
I am smooth on the East
And terraced on the West
My pictures tell my story.
My pun is the halved he ate.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

The desert?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Unfinished Pyramid?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...just "pyramids"

We've got the unfinished one under the all-seeing eye on our dollar bill.

The ones in the East (Egypt) are smooth sided, the ones in the West (MesoAmerica) are terraced.

The pictures in them told about the culture of the time,

And halved he ate (half D-8) [Wink] D8 pic

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, further East of Egypt, many stepped pyramids have been found recently. I think just a couple weeks ago a massive stepped pyramid was found in... I want to say Albania, one of the Eastern European countries. But for all intents and purposes it's a clever riddle [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Good one.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Actually, further East of Egypt, many stepped pyramids have been found recently. I think just a couple weeks ago a massive stepped pyramid was found in... I want to say Albania, one of the Eastern European countries.
cool. I'll have to look that up.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hesitate to trot this one out, because it's kind of tired (from my perspective). If you've seen it before don't answer, as it is kind of a fun one to work through if you haven't seen it. From the old Infocom game Beyond Zork:

My tines be long
My tines be short
My tines end ere my first report
What am I?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightning?

Or maybe one of those flimsy little plastic forks that you get at the salad bar in the supermarket that break off as soon as you try to put them to use?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, lightning.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Whoever makes it, tells it not.
Whoever takes it, knows it not.
Whoever knows it, wants it not.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I hesitate to trot this one out, because it's kind of tired (from my perspective). If you've seen it before don't answer, as it is kind of a fun one to work through if you haven't seen it. From the old Infocom game Beyond Zork:

My tines be long
My tines be short
My tines end ere my first report
What am I?

Lightning Bolt

Ill try to create one:

You shan't find us in desert regions
Never alone, you find us in legions
Our mature form is quite unsightly
Mutilate us and we endure quietly

What are we?

Tante:

A secret?

Going of Katraina

I think "A Cold" fits the bill

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante: A computer virus?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

Mushrooms?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

Mushrooms?
you dont find mushrooms in legions [Razz]

also what is unsightly about mushrooms?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yeah, but people don't make colds.

I want to know if my answer is right... *pout*

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
Yeah, but people don't make colds.

I want to know if my answer is right... *pout*

Katrain: A cold has to start somewhere, and its usually within a person where it mutates when it reproduces.
Katarain
Member # 6659

Then it should say the person who makes it doesn't know it, rather than doesn't tell it.
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:

Lotuses?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:

Lotuses?
you dont find lotuses in legions

whats unsightly about a lotus' mature form (they are quite beautiful)

Katarain: The person who originated the cold certainly does not "tell" anyone that they did.

Katarain
Member # 6659

A person doesn't make a cold anyway. They might be the vessel where it mutates, but it's not something they themselves made.
vonk
Member # 9027

Alrighty, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm an idiot. Can I go ahead and change that to 'locust'?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.