FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddles! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Riddles!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Alrighty, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm an idiot. Can I go ahead and change that to 'locust'?

lol a very decent guess but again I wouldnt say their mature form is specifically unsightly, as it looks more or less the same as their immature form. Unless you think of a grub as sightly.

Is there some sort of rule as to how many guesses until the answer should be revealed?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not a cold.

And mushrooms aren't usually found singly -- they are in bunches, legions if you will.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
It is not a cold.

And mushrooms aren't usually found singly -- they are in bunches, legions if you will.

a bunch REALLY does not constitute a "legion"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=legion

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
BB-

Earthworms? The "unsightly" and mutliation things, plus they come out after the rain.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
BB-

Earthworms? The "unsightly" and mutliation things, plus they come out after the rain.

again remember the "mature" form really is not different from the immature form. I am trying to emphasise that the MATURE form is unsightly when compared to the immature form.

I can concede that you might find large numbers of earthworms around after rain, but in the riddle I did not use rain to stipulate when you find them. What I am thinking of is ALWAYS found in legions and never alone.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Blind roman soldiers? <haha>
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I had two more lines to the riddle but I thought it might make it too easy, but here goes:

The strongest of winds we do withstand
But easily plucked by the weakest hand

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I invisible???

Tante, is it a computer virus?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A computer virus is a really good answer! Not what I had in mind (counterfeit money) but I'll take it!
quote:

Mushrooms? [Razz]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
Am I invisible???

I know the answer to that one! No!
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
*phew* Thanks for validating my existence. I was wondering for a moment... [Wink]

Counterfeit money makes sense!

I wonder if other things that bad people make would work, too.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You only find me
In a group of three,
I am only seen
In the color green,
I'm seldom used
But frequently viewed.
To Hatrackers this will apply:
No evil will I signify!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
A computer virus is a really good answer! Not what I had in mind (counterfeit money) but I'll take it!
quote:

Mushrooms? [Razz]
The solution is:

Grass

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Earthworms? The "unsightly" and mutliation things

I don't think they're "unsightly" They look cool to me.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
You only find me
In a group of three,
I am only seen
In the color green,
I'm seldom used
But frequently viewed.
No evil will I signify!

Clovers?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Clovers?
Not even close!
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[Razz]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
quote:
Earthworms? The "unsightly" and mutliation things

I don't think they're "unsightly" They look cool to me.
I was thinking more that they are blind (taking "unsightly" as a double entendre, although not of the racy sort).
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
You only find me
In a group of three,
I am only seen
In the color green,
I'm seldom used
But frequently viewed.
No evil will I signify!

No takers? Let's see if I can help you out with another couplet:

I have six arms, two mouths, four eyes,
two colons indicate my size.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
You only find me
In a group of three,
I am only seen
In the color green,
I'm seldom used
But frequently viewed.
No evil will I signify!

No takers? Let's see if I can help you out with another couplet:

I have six arms, two mouths, four eyes,
two colons indicate my size.

Too easy. I had it before the extra hint: [Monkeys]

Here's a good one I read today:
Name something blue that is red when it's green.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Good job, Miro! [Monkeys]
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I come to all, both young and old
Some I make fearful, and some I make bold
Both king and peasant know me well
For in the hearts of all I dwell

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
God?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to answer "weeds" for that earlier riddle.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Poetic, MB, but the riddle's answer applies to atheists as well.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
De-oxidized blood? (Red when it's newly oxidized, blue on it's return trip from the lungs, once it's not-so-"green")

quote:

The sure knowledge of death
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
[QB]
quote:
De-oxidized blood? (Red when it's newly oxidized, blue on it's return trip from the lungs, once it's not-so-"green")

Really interesting, but no.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Good answer. The given one was simpler than that, though.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
quote:
[QB]
quote:

Really interesting, but no.
The surface of water at various points in the day?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:

How about something that has passed through all the stages of heating.
quote:
Our colloquial usage of "red hot," "white hot," and so on, is part of the color sequence black, red, orange, yellow, white, and bluish white, seen as an object is heated to successively higher temperatures.

Miro
Member # 1178

Nope and nope

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:
Good answer. The given one was simpler than that, though.
I thought that would be it. Is it love?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The face of a depressed person prone to angry bouts of jealousy.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Lol.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
quote:
The face of a depressed person prone to angry bouts of jealousy.
I really doubt that there's a better answer to this particular riddle.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
I thought that would be it. Is it love?
Also good. Not quite. I'll give people a couple more shots and then I'll tell.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blueberries?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

You got it. [Smile]
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Knock knock.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's there?
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Interrupting Cow
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Interrupting Cow Wh...

Moo!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Study this paragraph and all things in it. What is vitally wrong with it? Actually, nothing in it is wrong, but you must admit that it is most unusual. Don't just zip through it quickly, but study it scrupulously. With luck you should spot what is so particular about it and all words found in it. Can you say what it is? Tax your brains and try again. Don't miss a word or a symbol. It isn't all that difficult?

And another one of my favorites.

Multiply the number of each animal Moses took on the ark by the number of people who ran for president in 2004. Now take that number and multiply by the number of fingers you have. Finally, divide that number by two. What is the number?

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
0 it was Noah who took the animals on the ark

the other one i have no idea

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
No 'e'.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

Life? Love?

[ June 11, 2006, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Jeesh ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[bad dracula accent]Bllloooooood. [/bad dracula accent]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Heres a classic one:

"Out of the eater came forth meat, and out of the strong came forth sweetness"

Don't look at me, I didn't create the riddle, but it is found in one of the most read books in history.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Heres a classic one:

Don't look at me, I didn't create the riddle, but it is found in one of the most read books in history.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Heres a classic one:

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Humean, nowhere in the paragraph does the letter "e" appear--is that the answer?

BlackBlade, that was the honey in the carcass of the lion that Samson found in the Old Testament. Which was no more possible for us to solve out of context if we didn't know the story already than it was for the Philistine men to whom Samson posed the riddle!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.