FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddles! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Riddles!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Humean, nowhere in the paragraph does the letter "e" appear--is that the answer?

BlackBlade, that was the honey in the carcass of the lion that Samson found in the Old Testament. Which was no more possible for us to solve out of context if we didn't know the story already than it was for the Philistine men to whom Samson posed the riddle!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Samson told that one. It's a pretty old riddle. I recall that he killed some attacking lion, and then later, when he was passing by, saw that bees had built their hive in it's dead carcass.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Dreams.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the answer to the first one is that every letter appears except E.

The second answer is 0. Noah took animals on the ark. So you guys got them...

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
What is my name? And do not leer
At me, for bastardry you fear;
One of my kind wrote seven o'honey,
About the queen of those so dear
Who give us - for our teeth - some money.

There's a hint in the verse itself where you should look. Yes, it requires previous knowledge.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Titania?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
No 'e'.

How did I not see that before I posted (3 times) yesterday?

Oh well. [Blushing]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. No Titania, sorry.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gloriana?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Nay. Wrong play. Think 'bastardry'; Titania was closer.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Humean, nowhere in the paragraph does the letter "e" appear--is that the answer?

BlackBlade, that was the honey in the carcass of the lion that Samson found in the Old Testament. Which was no more possible for us to guess out of context if we didn't know the story already than it was for the Philistine men to whome Samson posed the riddle!

You are correct in your answer AND your commentary on the riddle [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Is this about Oberon and Titania mixing it up about the changeling boy?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Not quite that close. ;-)

I'll give you a hint: the one who wrote "A Midsummer Night's Stream" wrote the in-the-verse hint.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, I give up already. You win.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Edmund.

The queen of those who give us money for our calcium, that is, teeth (tooth fairies) is the Fairy Queen, or Faerie Qveene. The one who wrote seven [books] about her was EDMUND Spenser.

The bastard - at whom you shouldn't leer (King Lear, eh?), is Edmund, Oswald's son. One of his name was Edmund [Spenser].

So the answer is "Edmund".

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oy.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Edmund.

The queen of those who give us money for our calcium, that is, teeth (tooth fairies) is the Fairy Queen, or Faerie Qveene. The one who wrote seven [books] about her was EDMUND Spenser.

The bastard - at whom you shouldn't leer (King Lear, eh?), is Edmund, Oswald's son. One of his name was Edmund [Spenser].

So the answer is "Edmund".

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oy. Oy.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Is that a good or bad "oy"?

I'm not such a great reader of Yiddish.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't know about good or bad. Just oy.

The thing is, Bunny, you are on your own separate plane, and it intersects with our world in a very few points. This riddle had very little intersection with my world. Not that that is a bad thing. Our minds must work differently, though, because after you gave additional hints, I was at a bigger loss, and after you explained the entire solution to the riddle, the only coherent response I could drum up was "oy".

Your riddling skills do not mesh well with my riddle-solving skills. Sorry.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
happy, wicked, sorrowful,hysterical
I attend these and miss none at all
Of my origins nobody is sure
I am above all medicinal cures
I am conducted best by a large crowd
If kept too long within I might burst aloud

shouldnt be too hard [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
laughter
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
The thing is, Bunny, you are on your own separate plane, and it intersects with our world in a very few points.

I got as far as Edmund Spenser, but then I was stumped. Mainly because I originally thought Faerie Queen was written by Walter Scott and therefore the riddle's answer (obviously) was Alexander Hamilton (Bastard son of a Scotsman, Scott also being a Scotsman). However, when I discovered my error about the author I sort of gave up.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by CalvinandThomasHobbes:
laughter

you are correct sir
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

An entrepreneur has a plan to buy cases of widgets for $50/case, and sell them for $20/case. "If I do this, then by the end of the year I'll be a millionaire!" Explain how this can be true.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
He's inheriting Bill Gates' fortune?

Or he's lost in the depths of his own mind.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
The cases he sells them in are less than 2/5 the size of the cases he buys them in?

Or, an alternative theory, he's actually living out Brewster's Millions

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nope to Jeesh and Nope and Nope to Peter.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

He is purchasing widgets at 50 Hong Kong Dollars and selling them for 20 US Dollars. Both currencies use the $ symbol.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And Nope to BB.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
He's already a millionaire or richer?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Youth got it! The entrepreneur started out as a billionaire. [Taunt]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I have keys and locks that do not nothing to doors
Want to ruin me? Let me drink Coors
Though I have no beginning I have an end
To the blind, deaf, dumb I can attend
Exactly obedient I do what you say
I can enter or escape if you want it that way.

What am I?

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
computer
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The Tick: Afraid not, I am not sure how your answer even fits. A computer by itself cannot do any of those things.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
a keyboard
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
a keyboard

<applause>
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
What is it that if you do not have it, you cannot seek it,
and if you seek it, you can never have it.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Life?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
A nice, frosty rootbeer. Yum!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacen
Member # 9543

- posted      Profile for Jacen   Email Jacen         Edit/Delete Post 
The one who makes it doesn't need it.
The one who buys it doesn't use it.
The one who uses it doesn't know it.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one who makes it doesn't need it.
The one who buys it doesn't use it.
The one who uses it doesn't know it.

A horseshoe?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
A coffin.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacen
Member # 9543

Javert got it. [Smile]
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

A simple one in response:

Forward I am heavy, but backward I am not. What am I?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacen
Member # 9543

A ton.
Javert
Member # 3076

Correct. [Smile]
Jacen
Member # 9543

Now, the ultimate riddle....

what have I got in my pocket? [Wink] j/k [Big Grin]

Javert
Member # 3076

You don't have any pockets!
Jacen
Member # 9543

Ah, so you believe the more accurate question to be, "where has my pocket got to?" [Wink]

Okay, serious riddle: A box without hinges, key or lid yet inside, golden treasure is hid.

This should be an easy one. [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.