FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Piano questions

Author Topic: Piano questions
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some questions for music people. First, a bit of background. I want to buy a piano. I took lessons for twelve years and got pretty good, but I haven't really played more than two or three times a year for the past five years, and it really shows. Jon Boy and I have decided that we should hold off on a piano purchase until we're settled in a home so we don't have to move the piano and so we're not spending money we should be saving for a down payment (or other higher priorities) on a piano. That makes sense.

But I got to thinking, what if I bought a total "junk" piano (a 20-year-old Spinet, for example) for under $1000 and then sold it if and when we move? I know it wouldn't sound pretty, but I would at least have something to practice on until I can get a better piano. But there are a lot of "ifs" in this, so I have some questions.

1. If I bought a piano for $700 today and sold it in a year or two, how much could I get for it? (In other words, once a non-Steinway piano is 20 years old, how much does it depreciate?)

2. Is a 20-year-old Spinet (for the sake of argument) worth $500–700?

3. How much does it cost to have a piano moved from the seller's home (in Utah) to our home (also in Utah)?

4. How much does it cost to tune a piano?

5. Would a piano this junky even be worth tuning (i.e., would it hold its tune)?

6. Would I even be able to sell a piano like that in a year?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
1. I wouldn't hope for too much.

2, 3, 4. No idea

5. YES! Tune your instuments! If your piano isn't in tune, you might as well not even play it!

6. Maybe, if you keep it in good shape.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone - alot of your questions have answers that vary depending on companies etc.

A couple of things though. If you're talking about a really junky piano (one that's in such bad shape it won't hold a tune) I wouldn't pay as much as you're suggesting, especially if you're only going to sell it in a year. Check your local paper and see if any one is selling. When I was learning my parents bought one for much less than $1000 and it was a decent piano.

Look for an upright. Grand and baby grand pianos are a pain to move etc and they'll cost more. Plus if someone is selling a grand/baby grand piano for under $1000 it's probably the crummiest piece of junk that you've ever seen.

Most pianos will eventually hold a tune again if you really want them to (and if you're going to be playing on a regular basis, you definitely want to tune it because out of tune pianos are just so [Angst] ). If it hasn't been tuned in a long time, you'll probably need to have it tuned about once a month for the first year before it will really start holding a tune. My parents paid for all the tuning and I don't own a piano so I don't know what it cost.

If it really hasn't been tuned in years it will need to be repitched to A440 which is the international standard pitch. This will probably require the tuner to tune it at least twice on the first visit and that'll cost you extra, how much will again depend on the tuner. (Don't fall for the tune it yourself kits that are out there. If you've never tuned a piano before leave it to a professional.)

I frankly wouldn't pay out for a cheap piano just to tide me over for a year or so. Make the investment for a decent piano or consider buying a keyboard that is standard length (or even a bit shorter). If you get one that sits on a stand rather than an electric piano, you can store it away when it's not in use and there's the whole no tuning involved part too. [Smile]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I forgot...regardless of what shape the piano is in, once it's moved it will have to be tuned at least once (even if it is pretty well in tune at the old owner's home) because moving a piano is one of the best ways to cause it to go out of tune fast.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents got a hand-me-down piano a few years ago, and I want to say that it cost nearly 500 bucks to get it tuned.

I'd call someone in town and see what tuning an in place upright runs, on average.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it really isn't to hold me over for a year. If Jon Boy goes to grad school, it could be at least five years before we buy a house. However, we do plan on being in our current apartment for at least a year, so that's where the year estimate came from.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
1. If I bought a piano for $700 today and sold it in a year or two, how much could I get for it? (In other words, once a non-Steinway piano is 20 years old, how much does it depreciate?)
Depends on how good a bargainer/salesperson you are.

2. Is a 20-year-old Spinet (for the sake of argument) worth $500–700?
Depends on if it keeps it's tuning. We were able to get one for free, which has served pretty well. The people were getting an organ and didn't want the piano anymore. It is pretty visually thrashed, but only the soft pedal is broken.

3. How much does it cost to have a piano moved from the seller's home (in Utah) to our home (also in Utah)?
For 10% of your income, you should be able to trick the Elder's quorum into helping you. Unless you hate it when people do that.

4. How much does it cost to tune a piano? My father-in-law is a tuner. I think he charges $85 but it has been a while since I asked. The thing is if it's pretty old, the repairs could be spendy. That's probably how the $500 bill happened.

5. Would a piano this junky even be worth tuning (i.e., would it hold its tune)? It depends on if the people have kept it away from frequent temperature fluctuations, usually meaning it needs an interior wall without a heating vent.

6. Would I even be able to sell a piano like that in a year?
I don't see why not. But check craiglist and freecycyle obsessively. You never know.

The responsiveness of electronic pianos continues to develop. I don't know how you feel about those. Thing is, if you are reserving your money for a down payment that can bite. How do you feel about going and rehearsing at the church? I'm making a lot of assumptions that you are an active Mormon. Forgive me if I'm way wrong about that.

P.S. I'll PM you on GC.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Yes, I'm active (a bit of a Molly, actually). The problems with going to the church are 1) I don't have a key and it's almost always locked, and 2) I couldn't just sit down and practice for 15 minutes each time Lego was happy or napping—I'd have to plan more. Still, maybe I should look into conning the bishop into giving me a key.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read all the responses, but want to point out that twice since I joined Freecycle, a piano was offered. It may have been the same piano that didn't go anywhere the first time, I'm not sure ... but it was free to anyone who wanted to haul it away. If it was tuneable, then it would be cheaper (probably) than buying one. Anyway, my point is, check Freecycle - you never know.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma has a player piano that the player function doesn't work, and whatever I do, I'm getting that piano even if I have to hire burly men to come tear the house down to get it out.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuning without repairs runs from 70-150 bucks depending on how badly out of tune it is. Anything above 150 probably required repairs/parts.

With 1000 bucks to spend, there's no question in my mind--Buy a full electric piano with weighted keys and realistic sound. Moving them is no sweat and you NEVER have to tune them. They're great for practicing and often have better response than real pianos. Plus the extra features/sounds/capabilities--it's a good idea. Then once you're moved in, you could always sell the keyboard and invest in the acoustic piano.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, an electric is a good choice for everyday practice.

Of course, my mom is "holding" a piano in her garage for my sister (was someone else's in the family, she got it for free.) If we move to a place with enough space, I'm gonna ask if I can have it until my sister is ready for it (if ever.) I haven't played in years and wasn't very accomplished when I did, but I want to take lessons again (there's an "interest group" in my RS and a sister teaches lessons for free right now; I haven't joined because I have nothing I have regular access to to practice on, but if I had a piano I would.) My sister, on the other hand, was further along than me but doesn't really seem to have an interest in actually playing. I bet she'd have no problem with me using "her" piano. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
1. This would depend on the condition of the piano as well as finding the right buyer.

2. Again, this would completely depend on the condition of the piano. How does it sound? Has it been kept in good repair? Etc.

3. You should be able to get a quote from a piano moving company. When I've had my piano moved (twice now by the same company - they're great) they charge by the mile. The first time was pretty inexpensive (since it was only moving about 6 miles), the second time was more (since it was moving about 20 miles). I can try to dig up my paperwork to give you ballpark figures. Personally, I would hire a piano moving company to move it (over using free labor) - they know what they're doing, have the proper equipment to make moving it easier, and carry the proper insurance.

4. I'd budget about $100. Get recommendations from other pianists you know to find a reputable tuner.

5. If you're going to play it, it needs to be tuned. If you can't tune it, it's not worth having.

6. If it's junky enough to not be tunable, I highly doubt it.

Getting a keyboard sounds like a good idea for you. If you want a piano, I'd recommend talking to the music departments at nearby universities. I know ASU has a piano sale every year (they replace their studio practice pianos every couple years), so you can pick up a relatively inexpensive piano that may have been played a lot, but was also well cared for. Had my parents not given me my piano as a wedding gift, I was going to purchase one from the university.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Bunch of random thoughts:

I found my piano on Craigslist. You guys don't have one in the Utah area, but I would check music stores for notices of used pianos. I bought mine for $200. It's huge, lovely, and it sounds pretty good. You will need it tuned and the average price of a good tuning on a normal piano is $100. If it's going to cost over $150 to tune it (if there are broken strings, broken keys, broken pedals) don't buy the piano. Check the back soundboard for cracks. Make sure you can SEE that the strings are intact. Play every single key.

Piano tuners should belong to the piano tuners' guild. Check. Make sure whoever tunes your piano belongs to this guild.

When I was looking for a used piano, the spinnets (even the old ones) were the most expensive.

I rounded up 4 guys and someone with a trailer and we moved my piano for the $20 it cost me to rent ramps and a piano dolly from Home Depot.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I kinda want a piano.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE having one in my apartment. It's so nice. (But then, I teach choir for a living...hey! That could be a deduction!)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought several used pianos over the years from Music stores. The best price is when you can pick up the old one from a home as the new one is being delevered. However, if you know what a piano is supposed to look and sound like you can get an even better price from a private party. After the music store has put time and effort into the instrument they have to charge more. My best buy was $17 and a case of beer. After three years, I was ready to move and I sold it for $17. Most upright pianos can be moved in a pickup with 4 to 6 strong guys. Just block and brace so it dosen't move as you drive. Those $19 U-haul trucks with the ramp make it a piece of cake. 2 to four guys, and you just strap it to the wall. spinnet, studio and even small grands are made to be moved from time to time. Just make sure you tune it after it has had a little time to settle in.
Electric pianos are nice. But, somehow they don't feel right to me.
NOTE: Guy is a non-sex-linked word originally meaning something like oddball.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walleo77
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for Walleo77           Edit/Delete Post 
I would add a nother thought to the electric piano. i like the ability to plug in earphones. i dont know if that is a benefit to you or not but it works for me. I get off late from work at nights and it gives me a chance to play even while others are a sleep. Also, as Narnia said, check the sound board. It can get cracked, especially when moved. If it gets cracked then you won't ever get good sound, you will only get practice using piano keys(which is still practice but you definitely need a proper sounding piano to get the sound in your head right). By the way I have both regular piano and a 60-key electric and if I had my way I would always have both. Each one comes in handy. if I had to settle on only one I am afraid I would actually take the electric. My opinion anyway.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you let it be known around all people that you know, that you want a piano, you will probably find a piano free.

I currently have 3 pianos at my house -- one that I grew up with, and two others that people were going to "throw out" because they no longer had room for them. (and we couldn't stand to see that happen) Not high-dollar pianos, but very playable for a beginner.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same dilemma. Since my daughter is taking piano lessons we couldn't make due with the $50 piece of junk piano we had (the felts were delaminating and the sound board was warped). Instead we got a digital piano so it would be easy to move when we do move. Here is a link to the one we got

Roland F-50

We got it for right around $1000. It has good sound and my daughter really likes it.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that, for me, the electrics just don't "feel" right. Even the expensive ones with the variable weighting etc.
But then all my telephones have Western Electric on them.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.