FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Rivka, do you know where you're staying yet?

No, because I figured I should stay somewhere convenient.

I just haven't figured out if that means convenient to the airport, to where we're meeting up, or what. [Wink]

This place looks good, (internet access, fridge/micro) but I don't know where it is relative to the places that have been discussed. Or to the airport.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Capitol Hill is short-to-long walking from the Mall, depending on where on the Mall you're going. (It's behind the Capitol, which is on one extreme end of the Mall.) It's a short cab ride, or metro to Dupont Circle. (DC's metro is clean and safe.)

I'd suggest staying close to the action, rather than near the airport. You can always get a shuttle to/from the airport, but you'll be thankful for having your hotel relatively close after a night of socializing. You also won't then have to cut your visiting short to drive/ride way out to the airport (Dulles, right? If so, not close to downtown DC.)

Capitol Hill isn't all that close to Dupont Circle, (but it's a lot closer than Dulles is). If most of Sunday is going to be Dupont Cirle and that area, then you might want to consider closer. (I have no idea where the Spy Museum is. Does anyone know if it's open on Sunday?)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It looks like they are open every day of the week, at least in August.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Is this place closer, then?
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
How is the parking around Gallery Place/Chinatown?

Looks like it would make life easier to get tickets in advance for the spy museum. And wow, I thought everything in DC was pretty much free :X. It does sound like fun and I don't want to go cheap on you guys but with 753029482354 free things to do in DC, are we sure we want to do this?

I haven't really been to Dupont Circle other than a trip to a coffee shop one time but it looks like there's a lot to do out there. We could just meet up, walk around, look at houses, talk, drop into places that look interesting, get some food...if that's not too soft on the planning. I have no idea how the parking situation is in the Dupont Circle area though.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm ok with sticking to free things, too. [Smile]
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
How is the parking around Gallery Place/Chinatown?

IIRC, that's right by MCI Center and consequently there are a bunch of parking garages and I'd imagine there's a decent amount of street parking available on a weekend afternoon. I think Dupont's more or less the same, but I rarely drove there so I can't be sure.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Is this place closer, then?

That place is a lot closer to Dupont Circle. I've always parked on the street around Dupont Circle and in the afternoon, it's not too bad. Evenings get pretty bad, though, because so few residents have offstreet parking, and many areas are permit only. You really have to pay attention to signs. They will ticket and tow.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Then I guess the question is whether it's worth the extra $20 to be closer. Part of that equation is, what exactly are we doing?

For example, if people are just going to want to be social and play card games and such, we can do that there. If we're going to be going all over the place (especially since I will have a ride in the morning, when Diana picks me up for breakfast), then maybe I'm better off in the first place.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hide-a-bed and plenty of adjacent floor, but we'll have to plan well, since I live about 40 minutes toward Baltimore.

I was kind of working more from the backyard barbeque paradigm, but meeting in the city should be fine.

I would much prefer free activities for Sunday at least, insofar as we can. Is picnic dinner an option? I have church 1-4, but don't have a problem dropping folks at the New Carrolton Metro stop that morning.

Maybe I'll get my scooter learners by then.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm planning to stay at a motel in the DC area. Diana (who should get her butt in this thread (and back on Hatrack altogether, as far as that goes)) was hoping for a place to stay Saturday night. But she will have a car, and so shouldn't require transportation.
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a bbq or picnic would be a great idea one of the days, I just don't know how feasible it would be logistically. If we do go that way and people need rides, I would be more than willing to do some chauffering.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There is a free spy museum that is open 10-2 Saturday. They have a working ENIGMA that you can actually fiddle with.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

*Bump*

That list on pg2 is pretty long. Where is everyone?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Since my sister lives in Fairfax, VA area (near D.C. ) but is moving to Belgium in September, I certainly wish I could attend this, and make a side-trip to see her as well.

Ah well. Not to be.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

:bump:
If they're in the DC area, they are probably lying on the basement floor being as still as possible.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
*cringes*

I am going to be unable to make it after all.

[Cry]

It was the only weekend my family was going to be up at my grandparents' place in Michigan.

Sorry to disappoint...Hopefully I'll make the next one.

[Frown]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No getting to meet Kasie? [Frown]

But I understand about family obligations. Timing's a bear.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! That's very sad, Kasie. [Frown] Definitely for us, although your grandparents are probably okay with it.

We should do something the weekend before. [Smile]

----

Not to be completely insensitive, but does everybody think about the Science Museum at the National Academy of Sciences? It's not free, but it's five dollars, which is much cheaper than the spy museum. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It looks like fun.

Everything that has been suggested sounds like fun -- but could we pick something? Or several somethings?

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
We could always figure out a way to have a large picnic on the mall and then maybe hit some museums? It would be pretty much free, but I don't know if everyone has already seen all the museums and is sick of them.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

rivka,
How hard would it be for someone (me, for instance) to set up a kosher picnic? I'm guessing fresh paperplates, platicware, and cups would be kosher, right? (Or not?) Are there any foods that are by default kosher? (I'm guessing fruits? Anything else?)

Karl

pooka
Member # 5003

By the weekend before, do you mean just you and Kasie? Because I don't think rivka's travel plans are that flexible.

I'm happy to take rivka to the kosher deli if they have takeout.

Here's a link to museums and memorials on the mall. Someone has asked to not go to the Air and Space museum. I've never been in the new American Indian museum, but also the National Archives, and I barely remember going up the Washington Monument.

katharina
Member # 827

www.culturaltourismdc.com

I have a feeling this site has everything we would possibly want to see. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

The Washington Monument is best for tight groups (individuals, couple, or families) or for organized groups. It's definitely not a "drop by and drop in" thing. You have to get there early and get tickets and still stand in line. The Monument itself is a wonderful experience, but not very practical for a casual gathering like ours, I don't think.

I like the idea of the mall because it would be easy to decide on a museum on the spot there. Everything is basically walking distance, even the science museum katharina linked to above. The only thing is I don't know any restaurants in that area. But I would be good for either a picnic or for meeting at or heading to the closest kosher place, if there is one.

The mall would also be convenient for rivka if she stays in the Capitol Hill hotel she first linked to (I think).

Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a kosher deli called Eli's on 20th St. There's also a little cafe at the JCC on 16th St.

Most of the kosher restaurants are in Maryland though.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
I'm guessing fresh paperplates, platicware, and cups would be kosher, right? (Or not?) Are there any foods that are by default kosher? (I'm guessing fruits? Anything else?)

Fresh paper goods are fine. Fresh fruit (and for the most part fresh vegetables) are also fine. Unopened packages of other things that bear a kosher symbol (list here, the two most common symbols being the O-U and the O-K) are also fine.

Diana and I (and Diana keeps promising me she will get herself back on Hatrack and post in this thread, but has yet to do so) can presumably hit the deli that morning.

Hmm. Except Eli's doesn't open until 11. Neither does the JCC. Stacks seems to have closed (presumably due to Abramoff's legal issues). And while the cafe attached to the Holocaust Museum carries sealed kosher lunches, none look terribly appealing.

So presumably Eli's or the JCC then.

I need to know today if I'm going to book at the place I linked at the top of the page . . .

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Washington Monument is best for tight groups (individuals, couple, or families) or for organized groups. It's definitely not a "drop by and drop in" thing. You have to get there early and get tickets and still stand in line. The Monument itself is a wonderful experience, but not very practical for a casual gathering like ours, I don't think
Ask about the walk-down tour. It's generally easier to get in to, although you still have to wait in line for the tickets.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

Stacks closed because Abramoff also owned a non-kosher restaurant at the same time he owned Stacks. The Vaad doesn't allow that.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah. That makes some sense, I 'spose.
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'll be coming from Bethesda, which is very near Rockville where this place is located. If someone would like to come up with a tentative menu, I could pick up anything we need for a kosher picnic on the mall, (and of course everyone would be welcome to bring anything else they want, right? Does having other non-kosher food around negate the kosher, as long as everything is kept separate?).

I like the picnic idea because:
They're fun.
They're very conducive to socializing (which is the point, right?)
We'd be right there in the midst of dozens of museums, so spontaneity is an option.

Any takers?

pooka
Member # 5003

Karl- that probably explains why my mom never took us to the Washington monument again. I do think the American Indian looked quite arresting, and it's only been around for a year, give or take, but I'm also amenable to meeting on the mall and going with the flow. I have church from 1-4 but I could call in "sick".
KarlEd
Member # 571

You do look a little peaked. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

I think the picnic idea is fantastic. [Smile]

I also have church from 1-4, but I could go to one at 9 and spend the rest of the day hanging out with people. [Smile]

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I think the picnic idea is the best of both worlds. It allows us to really talk and socialize, but we still have the option of doing something more active. And plus, we don't have to decide now. I think it will be easier to decide when everyone is together. Say, meet by the Smithsonian metro station, or somewhere memorable on the mall so that we aren't all just wandering about the place, especilly for me, since I won't know anyone by sight.

Edit: and what is this about August 19th? Are we hanging out then too? I'm so confused!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

There's a deli with take-out right near the KosherMart (that you linked to). It's called "Max's. I highly recommend their shwarma.
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, shall we tentatively (?? barring objections) say Picnic on the mall? If so, could someone suggest some good things for me to look for at the kosher deli so we have a good spread? This could be a lot of fun, but I really want to do it right. (Should kosher cheese and kosher meats be kept in separate coolers? Are there any other restrictions I should know about in terms of transport? I plan to just purchase stuff and keep it all in the original packages until we all actually sit down to eat.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Karl, that sounds great. [Smile] And there's no problem with other people eating non-kosher stuff, as long as it's kept separate. (To that end, anything you picked up would need to stay sealed until then.)

*peruses* They have sushi! I wonder if they have California rolls. *drool*

rivka
Member # 4859

Kosher cheese and kosher meat cannot be eaten together . . .
KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, and Evie, the thing with the 19th is that I didn't realize the 20th was a Sunday, so I planned for Saturday originally. Rather than completely change plans, I asked if anyone wants to get together on Saturday in addition to the Sunday stuff. For Saturday, tentatively, Chris, myself, and LadyDay have been discussing meeting at either the National Arboretum, or The National Zoo, probably around 1 or so. (We're still deciding, and so far no one else has given a firm confirmation of meeting on Saturday.)
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Kosher cheese and kosher meat cannot be eaten together . . .

I sorta knew that. Does that mean at the same sitting(i.e. you'll either eat meat or eat cheese at the picnic but not both) or just at the same time (i.e. a mutton and cheese sandwich)? (And it's all dairy, too, right? Not just cheese.)

And if one of them is to be banned at the picnic, which would you prefer to eat?

KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, sorry if the questions are getting pestering. If I buy both meat and cheese for those who aren't worried about kosher, should they be transported in separate coolers?
rivka
Member # 4859

Neither together nor at the same sitting. Not even one right after the other. Yes, it's all dairy.

I have a slight preference for meat (and fish is neutral, and can be served at the same meal as either meat or dairy).

Of course, there's nothing stopping the rest of y'all from having both. But considering that both kosher meat and kosher cheese are more expensive than their non-kosher equivalents, it seems silly to get both kosher.

katharina
Member # 827

I am completely free that Saturday and would love to meet y'all as well. [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I am completely free that Saturday and would love to meet y'all as well. [Smile]

Do you have a preference of Arboretum or Zoo? Both are possible. I'm thinking we should meet at one or the other, enjoy it, then decide what to do next for those who want to stick around.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
OK, sorry if the questions are getting pestering.
Not at all.

quote:
If I buy both meat and cheese for those who aren't worried about kosher, should they be transported in separate coolers?
As long as each is securely sealed (preferably in at least two water-tight layers), the same cooler is fine. But it might be simpler to have them in separate coolers, if that's easily done.
Chanie
Member # 9544

Rivka, where are you for Shabbos? I have friends at Kesher Israel (http://www.kesher.org/) that run a hospitality program. They do a Friday night pot luck that you would be most welcome at
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* Los Angeles.

Thanks, but my flight is Motzei Shabbos.

KarlEd
Member # 571

It's probably easy. Right now I'm thinking I'll drop Chris off with the food at the picnic site and then find a place to park and come back to meet you all. We'll have to pack it back up and take it to the car before doing museums, but I don't think that will be a problem.
Chanie
Member # 9544

Are lurkers welcome at this? I'm thinking this might be a good excuse to come down and hang out with my friends in D.C.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.