FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving songs to a new computer

Author Topic: Moving songs to a new computer
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new computer for my room so I no longer have to go in my sister or parent's room to use one. Problem is, my sister's computer has iTunes and I have lots of songs on there and there is no way I want to redownload all of them on my new one. What's the easiest way to move them to my new computer? Is it actually possible?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a pen drive, iPod, external hard drive, or a fire wire, it's easy. If not, there are some other options depending on how big your library is and what kind of Internet connection you have.

You can also burn them to a CD or DVD and then re-import them onto your new computer.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I don't have any of those. I have almost 300 songs and about 22 hours of music on it. I could burn it onto CDs, but that would waste alot of blank CDs, although I'll resort to that if I have to. Is there any way I can send them somehow?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to burn them to the CD's, you can keep them in mp3 format and use the CD as a disk, that way you can put 700 megs on each, about 2 CD's total. It's be kind of difficult to send that much content without some kind of networking software or something (I have no idea what you would use specifically).
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the easiest thing is to do a file transfer over AIM (assuming you have high-speed internet). Just message the files.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Networking is a marvel of science, I tell you [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If you only have 300 songs, far and away the easiest thing would be to burn an mp3 CD. If you're lucky, you can get them all on one. At worst, it takes two CDs. You move them from the CDs to a central music folder on your new computer, point itunes to that folder, and you don't have to do anything else with them as far as renaming or organizing everything if you don't want to.

And Boris is right.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

How do I put the songs on the CD as mp3s? The blank music cds I have say they can only hold 80 minutes of music? Do I have to buy special cds?

Also, while I'm on the topic of my new computer, are there any other essential programs I need to keep my computer clean besides ad-aware and Spybot?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
How do I put the songs on the CD as mp3s? The blank music cds I have say they can only hold 80 minutes of music? Do I have to buy special cds?

Also, while I'm on the topic of my new computer, are there any other essential programs I need to keep my computer clean besides ad-aware and Spybot?

no see what he is saying is instead of burning the mp3's onto the cd as a playable cd, to simply burn them to cd as you would any other file.

Simply select your mp3's until you have almost 700mb worth of mp3's selected (adjust based on what your blank cd's space is) then highlite them all and select "send to" and send to your blank cd. Sometimes you have to format the cd as a storage cd.

The easier way is to simply highlite with your mouse and drag them onto the blank cd's window then just wait while it all copies.

As for keeping your computer clean I had adware and Norton antispyware and that seems to work well enough for me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
In theory, you should be able to find where iTunes is storing all of the music and then burn those files as a "Data CD", not a music cd. If you make it music CD, it will try and convert the AAC, mp4, mp3's or whatever iTunes uses, into a format that is very bloated and designed to be read in normal cd players.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see having 22 playable cds with music you purchased is a waste. Especialy if your hard drive fails or you get a bad virus on your new computer.

But I'd go with the mp3 option if you don't want to listen to them on your stereo.

Look into the deauthorize computer option on iTunes. I read about it briefly, but I think it allows you to transfer music to a new computer with the song licenses you have.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I'd go with the mp3 option if you don't want to listen to them on your stereo.
If you want to roll like the big kids, you can get a stereo that plays MP3s. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to transfer your songs is to buy an external hard drive to backup all your music and files, and then copy selected back-up files on to your new compueter. You should be backing up all your music anyway. You might be able to get your parents to buy it for you if you explain to them the dangers of not backing up computer files. The external drive can be used on both computers. They're cheap at about $1 (US) per gigabit.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can even create a data CD from iTunes itself.

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Burning -> Data CD.

If the songs were purchased from the iTunes Music Store, then you will have to authorize the new computer.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Thanks a million for all the help everyone offered. But it's still not working! [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] Ok, so first I went to iTunes and went under file, export library, and then sent it to the CD drive. That seemed to work. Buth then I put it on my new computer and all it does is get a file called "Library". I'm not even sure if the CD has all of the music since it shoudl take 2 CDs to put all of the music on as mp3s since my CDs can only have 700 mbs and my music is more. And it didn't say anything about that. Now I just tried to do the method that camus said, and after I did all of that and pushed "OK" iTunes just sat there and didn't do anything. I waited there for a minute and nothing was burning. I did it again. Same thing. I push ok and then the window clears away but nothing happens. [Wall Bash]

And I plan on making lots of CDs, that's why I bought the blank ones. But I like to organize all of my music into very specific playlists, and I'm not finished fine-tuning all of them. I want to have all of the music on here in the meantime, and hopefull if I can send it all on one CD I won't have to import 22 CDs.

Which brings me to my next frustration. I have 3 CDs with about 16 songs each that I burned that I imported on my new computer today. All of the songs were listed as "Track #" and with no artist. So I'm going to have to rename all of those songs now. And the worst part is, for some strange reason, one of the CDs don't have seperate tracks for each songs. [Confused] One track will go from one song to the next and then finish off on the next track. In other words, on this CD, the first track will contain Song A and the first minute of Song B. The next track will then contain the rest of Song B and some of Song C. And the weirdest part is that the length of each track corresponds to the length of each track of one of my other CDs that I burned. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] I'm so freaking annoyed with this already! Please help me!

Edit: Ok, I figured out that the actual CD with the weird tracks is fine. Something must've happened when I imported it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this, but perhaps you should read the manual and/or help files associated with your applications.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Which manual? One from iTunes or one from my computer?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Start with iTunes. The "Library" in this case isn't what you think it is.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm looking on the iTunes site but all I can find is this which is only if the computers in your house have a network. I don't have one. [Wall Bash]
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I just tried to do the method that camus said, and after I did all of that and pushed "OK" iTunes just sat there and didn't do anything. I waited there for a minute and nothing was burning. I did it again. Same thing. I push ok and then the window clears away but nothing happens.
Have you burned a CD in iTunes before? What you need to do is create a playlist (use the "+" button under the playlists) and drag all the songs that you can into that playlist (at the bottom you will see the size of all the files in the playlist). Once the playlist is selected, there will be a "burn disc" button on the top right of the window (next to the search field). Once you click that, it will scan the songs to make sure they will fit onto the CD. Click again to start burning. If the preferences that I mentioned earlier are set correctly, it will create the data CD that you need.

Side question. Are these songs bought from the iTunes Music Store, or ripped from CDs?

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.