FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrackian Film and Literature List - Now Printable (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrackian Film and Literature List - Now Printable
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think the authors already highlighted are a pretty good indication of the tastes of Hatrackers in general. I only ask because Primal Curve suggested that it might be helpful to mark off the must-reads. It would be a bit of a hassle, but I wouldn't mind making a poll or something similar if people think it might be helpful.

Good night for now.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I've already said so or not, but thanks for putting this together.

In terms of additions:

Magazines: MIT Technology Review, Natural History, and Archaeology to the list.

TV Shows: Deadwood

Have you considered adding a graphic novel section? We've had a couple of threads on the subject lately, one of which has generated a fairly extensive list of people's favorites. Kwsni has put together a list based on the recommendations in the thread, by the way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I make a teensy request that 24 be added to the TV shows list?

I'm really digging this, BTW.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thank you both. I've added your recommendations.

Noemon, do you have a link to Kwsni's list? I can't seem to find it. I would be happy to add a section for graphic novels.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

A separate thread for science journal and magazine recommendations.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Euripides, I just sent you a message through the forum. I've got a copy of kwsni's list, and will happily forward it to you, but I'll need your email address in order to do so. If you're not comfortable giving it out I could just post the list, I suppose.

By the way, I have a webcomic to add: Pirate Queen Marianne

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want literary fiction reccs too? I have many of those.

Author: Nevil Shute (pseudonym of Nevil Shute Norway)
Titles:
Trustee from the Toolroom
Round the Bend
The Pied Piper
The Legacy (published recently as "A Town Like Alice")

Author: Mark Salzman:
Titles:
True Notebooks
The Laughing Sutra
Iron and Silk
Lying Awake

Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Titles:
The Idiot
The Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
The Gambler
White Nights
The Little Hero

Author: Leo Tolstoy
Titles:
Anna Karenina
The Death of Ivan Ilych
Family Happiness

Author: Ivan Turgenev
Title: Fathers and Sons

Author: Thornton Wilder
Titles:
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Our Town (play)

Author: William Faulkner
Titles:
Light in August
The Reivers
The Unvanquished
Intruder in the Dust

Author: Henry Fielding
Title: Tom Jones

Author: Jane Austen
Titles:
Northanger Abbey
Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Persuasion

Author: Richard Adams
Title: Watership Down

Author: Nikos Kazantzakis
Titles:
Zorba the Greek
The Last Temptation of Christ

Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Titles:
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings

Author: Ursula K. Leguin
Titles:
The Left Hand of Darkness
The Lathe of Heaven

Author: Antoine de Saint Exupery
Title: The Little Prince

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. More later. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks for the recommendations Tatiana. Most of those were already in the 'Other Fiction' section, were I put all the literary classics. I've added the ones which weren't (except Dostoyevsky's The Little Hero and White Nights since they are short stories).

Please do follow up with more [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

However you want to split it up... [Smile] They are pretty long for short stories. I would say they were novellas, at least, though they never are published alone for some reason. They're comparable in length, I think, to things like Notes from the Underground or The Gambler, which are often published by themselves.

Tolstoy's Family Happiness and The Death of Ivan Ilych are often published in anthologies as short stories, too, though they are both novella length.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Author: Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Title: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Author: Chaim Potok
Titles:
The Gift of Asher Lev
My Name is Asher Lev

Author: Alan Paton
Title: Cry the Beloved Country

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Now for some Nonfiction:

Author: Douglas R. Hofstadter
Title: Godel, Escher, Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid

Author: Richard P. Feynman
Titles:
The Character of Physical Law
QED: Quantum Electrodynamics, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter
Lectures on Physics
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman
What do you Care what Other People Think?

Author: Stephen Jay Gould
Titles:
Ever Since Darwin
Hen's Teeth and Horses' Toes
Wonderful Life
Bully for Brontosaurus
The Panda's Thumb

Author: Isaac Asimov
Any science fact book by him will be interesting

Author: George Gamov
Title: One, Two, Three, Infinity

Author: L. Sprague DeCamp
Title: The Ancient Engineers

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm only including books here that I can wholeheartedly recommend as books I totally loved. Even when I love an author and read ALL his or her books, I'm only recommending here my very favorite of all. I've selected only the best for you guys. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Nonfiction again:

Author: Martin Gardner
Any book by him will be fascinating about math.

Freeman Dyson:
Disturbing the Universe

Tatiana
Member # 6776

If any of these are out of print (which many probably are), you can order them through Alibris.com, or Amazon, or any of the other sellers on the web of out of print books.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm spilling my guts, guys. This is my life in books. [Smile]

Now for kid books:

Author: Louisa May Alcott
Anything by her will be great.

Author: A.A. Milne
Titles:
Winnie the Pooh
The House at Pooh Corner

If you have only known the Disney Pooh (perish the thought!) you owe it to yourself to read the real thing. They are fabulous. Disney Pooh is an abomination.

Author: Rudyard Kipling
Title: The Jungle Book
(Ditto as regards Disney!)

Author: Johanna Spyri
Title: Heidi

Author: E. B. White
Title: Charlotte's Web

Author: John D. Fitzgerald
Titles:
The Great Brain
More Adventures of the Great Brain
Me and My Little Brain
The Great Brain at the Academy
The Return of the Great Brain
The Great Brain Reforms

Author: Watty Piper
Title: The Gateway to Storyland

Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks again Tatiana.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

You are welcome! I like your project! [Smile]
Euripides
Member # 9315

Now that this thread has died down a little, I think it's a good time to close the list to additional recommendations. The exception is non-fiction books - we can still add more of those.

This is to prevent the list from becoming a database of every popular book and film in recent history, which wouldn't be very useful.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to add to/point out errors in the list already.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Euripides, I haven't seen you around in a bit, but if you happen back by this thread, I'd recommend highlighting Maureen McHugh; I've definitely heaped lavish praise on her work more than once here, and while most people haven't read her I don't *think* I was alone in the praise-heaping.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And I have a print out to take to the library!

Great idea. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead Like Me is a great TV show.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I don't know where I was when this thread was originally, up but it's great! Thanks for all your hard work Euripides!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
TV Shows: 'Life on Mars'
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Hi Noemon - Yes I've been offline for a while. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry sarahdipity and Teshi - if I add more TV shows the list will be too long. At the moment I'm adding only non-fiction titles.

Thanks imogen and sweetbaboo.

[ August 09, 2006, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Shannon Hale has written Goose Girl, Enna Burning (sequel to Goose Girl)and Princess Academy (stand alone) which are all fantastic books. I found her as an author from one of OSC's reviews. I think they are a YA type book but I thoroughly enjoyed them and can't recommend them enough.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::bumped, partly because I saw Euripides posting and thought of it, and partly because this is too valuable of a resource to have drift into obscurity::
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

It would be really cool, albetit way too much work, if the poll could be a list with a five star rating and comments something like recipezaar
edit: I don't know where I was reading about a poll but this post is in a random spot, perhaps I was reading on the first page? [Blushing]

Euripides
Member # 9315

Yes that would be a lot of work!

Adding the stars would be easy, but I don't know of a way to start a poll to rate the many books on the list. An alternative would be to use a 1 to 2 star system, and only put the highlighted titles in the poll.

The only question is; would I get enough Hatrackers taking it so that the results at least sort of represent the taste of the average OSC fan?

Comments systems are great, but I don't think its necessary for this little project [Smile] The evaluation of the books will most likely be lopsided, as well.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering for a while why you decided to make this list Euripidies. Was there any motivation behind it other than that you thoguht it needed to be done? I love it by the way! I already have it printed out just in case something happens to my computer. I'll always have something to read now.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Mostly it was because I wanted an SF reading list for myself. I'm glad others have found it useful though.
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! Great thinking Euripides! I will cherish the list for a long long while.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally impressed...I formulated my own reading list from Hatrack recs a while back. It was a fraction of what you have here! [Big Grin] So cool!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

The list is now downloadable for printing in PDF format. I've squeezed it down from 49 pages to 15 or 16. It's not too pretty though.

Letter

A4

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I bookmarked it. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Euripides, are you still taking suggestions? There are a couple of things that I was surprised not to see in the Religious/Historical category.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the prize for the first person to read every book on the list?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there movies listed that haven't even started filming yet, such as Halo?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Euripides, are you still taking suggestions? There are a couple of things that I was surprised not to see in the Religious/Historical category.

I guess I can add to that section. It is a little lacking, to say the least.

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
What's the prize for the first person to read every book on the list?

This smily:
[Hat]

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Why are there movies listed that haven't even started filming yet, such as Halo?

I put films on the list which were mentioned on Hatrack, regardless of release date.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
So this list isn't necessarily "material that doesn't suck" then. Gotcha.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

That's right. It's a list of stuff that was most talked about. But most of it doesn't suck.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
At any rate, it's quite the comprehensive list. Thanks, Euripides. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

[Smile]
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Just posting here so I can find it easily in the future.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you're still adding to the list but anyway I like to recommend the following:

MARK VONNEGUT - The Eden Express.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have missed this when it was on the first page, but I love that it exists!

One question though - What is the significance of the highlighting?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Member # 9930

- posted      Profile for Tyler   Email Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
i believe you should add
gary paulsons book
'the transall saga'

ironic, i just posted something about that book elsewhere

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Sorry guys, I can't add any more. As Oliver pointed out on PWeb, these things are useful until they become a list of everything everyone has ever read. I'm sure the titles you've recommended are great, but the list is already too long and I had to draw the line somewhere.

The highlighted books were very popular or highly recommended by Hatrackers.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.