FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Art imitating life

Author Topic: Art imitating life
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
British Royal Academy rejects sculpture, displays the plinth it was sitting on

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me want to collect some driftwood on a beach and submit it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Makes me want to collect some driftwood on a beach and submit it.

They wouldn't take it. They might take the beach, though.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly me actually trying to carve something. I’ll just start selling blocks of wood painted black.

This is why I don't get upset if I don't win anything when I submit things in shows. Actually this makes me feel a lot better. You never know what the judges are looking for. Some of the local shows around here will only have one judge then you really don't know what to expect.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

"Art" strikes again. In the head.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just... wow.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*

I once went to an exhibit to find my picture displayed upside down. Two years later, with a different picture, SAME THING. Strange, but I'd take that over what happened to this guy, that's just nuts!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's too bad. I really LOVE the scuplture of the laughing head.

The box it was sitting on...well, it made me think of man's inhumanity to man. Especially the inhumanity of rejecting someone's excellent artwork.

(I often wonder about abstract art being hung upside down. I've heard of that before, and I just wonder don't artists put a sticker on the back saying "this side up" or something?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so weird. The head's kind of cool. The wooden thing is just... a wooden thing.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The sculpture looks like it knew this whole story in advance. [edited to say: looks at thread title and realizes Bob already made this point.] Too bizarre. Art truly is subjective, I guess!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Uprooted [Hat]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bob, I think they are just ahead of their times, that's all.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Most excellent, dude.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely plinth, though. You've got to admit that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

If I had a plinth, I'd share it with the world too!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, I think it's a remarkably ugly plinth. Apparently I'm a philistine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously. Look at the sheer tragedy of its form. Look at the profound implications of its lines and angles. Look at the deep despair represented in its color.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The angst! The angst!

[Razz]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It is very coffin-like...but in a way that embraces the void, rather than merely mimicking it. In that respect, it is truly transcendent in its nothingness.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I just wonder don't artists put a sticker on the back saying "this side up" or something?

[ROFL]

The angle of the light makes the plinth all so much better. It enhances the artisticness of it.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wonder don't artists put a sticker on the back saying "this side up" or something?
Haha, the thing about my two pictures that were found hanging upside down were both of them, while being kind of surreal, had recognizable objects that have definite top and definite bottoms. One was a two-dimensional pattern, and the other, two hands holding a crystal ball.... and its pretty obvious the way hands hold something, right?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

They were obviously levitating it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.