FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New OSC Wikia - 'Ansible'

Author Topic: New OSC Wikia - 'Ansible'
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
PWeb resident 'Noodle' has set up Ansible , a Wikia dedicated to all OSC fiction, including outside of the Enderverse.

He's asking for volunteers to help get the ball rolling. If you'd like to help but don't know what to do, see this thread.

Also, if you've never edited wikis before:
The Wikipedia Tutorial
How to Use Wikis - What Wikipedia is not
Wikipedia Etiquette (not all of it's obvious)
Wiki Markup - How to Format Entries

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
can't someone just copy over all the other stuff?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

All what stuff?

Well, yes. The first job I suppose is to get the articles on Wikipedia and the PWeb encyclopedia onto the new wikia. As far as I know, there's no convenient automated way to do it.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember though that OSC didn't invent the term 'ansible' I think Ursula K. Le Guin or whatever that author's anme is did.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth noting that the name may cause a bit of confusion, since it's incredibly close to that of Dave Langford's long running SF newsletter
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you invite the guy to Hatrack? I wonder if he knows about this place...
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just add the articles to Wikipedia and use categories to group them?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia doesn't like to have lots of small pages on a myriad of topics, they'll get deleted or merged with larger pages, so if you want to do a comprehensive wiki encyclopedia of a universe, its often better to do your own. However, you need more to start with because you get less outside input.

For instance, there's an excellent Tolkien wiki with tons of short entries that would be frowned on at wikipedia.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you could always link the OSC wiki on the OSC page of wikipedia, right?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Yes, definitely.

Cheiros - I'm sure he knows [Smile] I've made a post on PWeb with a link to this thread.

Fugu is right about wikipedia - the OSC wiki can be a lot more detailed than wikipedia articles on the same topic should justifiably be.

Noodle
Member # 1962

- posted      Profile for Noodle   Email Noodle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am aware of Hatrack, actually have been registered for years, but never really climbed above lurker status.

I created the wikia simply because I thought there was a TON of information about OSC's books that wasn't really appropriate for Wikipedia.

So Please, anyone and everyone come help out with the wikia. The more info we have, the more useful it will end up being.

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noodle
Member # 1962

- posted      Profile for Noodle   Email Noodle         Edit/Delete Post 
:Bump:

Hopefully I can get some help with this. It needs lots of work, but it's coming along.

I could really use some help filling in details in all the categories. I've been working on formatting and making the page usable, but haven't really been able to add much content. Thats where you come in. Any help would be appreciated, stop in once, or come over and work a lot.

Assuming this takes off, I'll need administrators as well. So if you're bored, or have some information about OSC that you want to share with the world, come on over and help out.

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Noodle, you may have better luck finding recruits on the other side.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.