FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is the nature of Humor Evil?

Author Topic: Is the nature of Humor Evil?
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, some of the answers I've gotten on other threads somehow drifted into the theme of humor: what is humorous, what is not.

Cruel things make us laugh. We make jokes about fat people, about people of other races, about handicapped people. If we are honest, we all have laughed at at least ONE non PC-joke in our lives, and laughter is a good thing.

But is the nature of what makes us laugh, maybe the nature of our own perversity, staring back at us?

Scott is a very funny writer. Tell us your secret, Uncle Orson, when you make us laugh, are you just pointing out our own piccardy? Is the last laugh on us?

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Cruel things make us laugh.

More precisely, some cruel things may make us laugh. Some non-cruel things also make us laugh. And some cruel things are so cruel that we do not laugh.

Laughter is not merely -- thank God -- a measure of perversity.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Self-depreciation humor does exist. As does humor of the absurd.

Humor that comes from mockery of pain turns many off. Just like gross-out humor isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like jobs about fat people or ethnic jokes or things like that or himiliation...
But I do like South Park for some reason.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Himiliation?

"Yo mounta so big, she got snow on her ankles."
"Yeah? Yo mounta so craggy, gotta send a team of Sherpas to find the soap."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Cruel things are rarely funny, and only to a lesser cruelty. Cruel is just plain, well, cruel. They are usually only funny to cruel people, who then release a chain of "Mwahaha's" on us. Someone tripping and falling into a lake is funny. Someone triping and breaking their arms is not funny.

Then again, I do laugh when Homer attacks Bart...

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeesh,
I disagree.
I think cruel things are often quite funny, though I am not a cruel person.
People who love horror movies are not necessarily horrible. (nor are they warped, or cruel, or into the occult.)
I am not a first grader, but I am still attuned to potty humor.
People are weird, and their in differences in humor prove that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Kaczmarczyk:
You know, some of the answers I've gotten on other threads somehow drifted into the theme of humor: what is humorous, what is not.

Cruel things make us laugh. We make jokes about fat people, about people of other races, about handicapped people. If we are honest, we all have laughed at at least ONE non PC-joke in our lives, and laughter is a good thing.

Incongruity makes us laugh. The things you mention only make us laugh when they're unexpected. When they're used in context, they aren't funny at all.

You, for instance, were kind of funny when I first saw your posts. I couldn't really believe someone was acting like that. The incongruity of it made me laugh. Now... you're just not funny.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny that I saw this--I've just read The Name of the Rose, where one of the primary debates is whether or not laughter and comedy are good things.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that Robin has a girl's name. While that's not nice, it's funny. To me. It'd be less funny if he was less irritatingly goofy.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I see it like this:

Lots of things happen that are not good. Some, not all, of those things also make us laugh.

If we stopped laughing, the bad things wouldn't stop happening. We would just have one less way of dealing with the pain, and that would not be a good thing. Not by a long shot.

How many times have you been in a situation where your only two options were to either laugh or to cry?

Laughter can be very therapeutic, and is one of many ways of dealing with uncomfortable/painful situations.

It is a tool...no more, no less. As with any tool it can be misused. Laughter can cut as well as heal, as we all know.

But life without it would be intolerable, at least to me.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Laughter is the best medicine.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

What are you, Reader's Digest? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
No, then it would have been "Lftr = Bst Mdicn".
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, that is the title of one of their weakly features....not an ChrisAbridged book. [Wink]
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Elizabeth, as you said, people have differences in humor. Different degrees of cruelty can be funny.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Robin's not a girl?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[ROFL]
Joldo
Member # 6991

Such cruel humor, laughing at my confusion. Obviously, it is evil.
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

I.. Oh, jeesh... Why DID my parents give me a girls' name?

I wonder in what point in history Robin became a girls' name? Was it after Hood's travesties? Was it the Boy Wonder's yellow pajamas?

I'm betting Robin as a girl name is pretty recent.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

I knew you weren't a girl. I just find it funny.

There was this one boy in my class. His name is Ravin. (Ru-veen) The teachers never got his name right and called him Raven, thinking he was a girl.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, branded with a "girl's name", or named after a pit. I think I'd prefer being called Ravin (RAY-vin) over (Ruh-VEEN). But that's just me.

Anyway, I've never thought of "Raven" as specifically a girl's name anyway.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
People called Raven always have long black hair.

Although... I don't s'pose that really tells you anything about the gender of the owner of the hair.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Robin was a guys name 40 or 50 years ago.

More than one guy, even. [Wink]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
People called Raven always have long black hair.

I beg to differ. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ayn Rand had an article on Humor ALWAYS being a distructive force that I read some years ago. It bothered me because it's so obviously wrong.

Then again, maybe she didn't find Puns funny....

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Pix, I'm not sure she said that. From everything I've read about her, she had a sense of humor. I think she differentiated between what she would have considered low humor (Q: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree? A: It was dead.) or stuff she considered to be mockery, but she held wit to be quite appropriate and nice.

No, I don't imagine she'd have liked puns very much, though word play like Dorothy Parker's definition of "horticulture" might have tickled her.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: I'll have to dig that article up again. It was in dead-tree format though so I won't be able to send you a link.

Who knows? Maybe I read it wrong.

BTW, she also said that humor, as a destructive force, wasn't ALWAYS a bad thing if the thing you were destroying was an evil thing.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well that's certainly true. Mocking fascists would have been right up her alley.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a paper that did a pretty good job of explaining when something's funny. (It was linked here from someone laughing *at* it, for talking about humor seriously.) It said you need these things, IIRC: a violation of the way things ought to be; a reason that it's not so bad after all; and these things must occur to the person at about the same time.

Which may explain why babies laugh at peek-a-boo. It's "wrong" in their world for Mommy to disappear, but it's not so bad because she's just not visible right now. If she stayed gone, it wouldn't be funny at all.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ayn Rand had an article on Humor ALWAYS being a distructive force that I read some years ago. It bothered me because it's so obviously wrong.
[Eek!] Pix, you traitor! How dare you, an admitted Libertarian, disagree with our queen and matriarch!

Who's next, Robert Heinlein?!?!

(In case it wasn't clear, I'm kidding.)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Will B, I think that's a good way of summing up humor... it allows for the portions of humor that are more offensive to some, but also for those things that are not negative or harmful to anyone.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
I read a paper that did a pretty good job of explaining when something's funny. (It was linked here from someone laughing *at* it, for talking about humor seriously.) It said you need these things, IIRC: a violation of the way things ought to be; a reason that it's not so bad after all; and these things must occur to the person at about the same time.

Which may explain why babies laugh at peek-a-boo. It's "wrong" in their world for Mommy to disappear, but it's not so bad because she's just not visible right now. If she stayed gone, it wouldn't be funny at all.

That's pretty much what I said a little further up the page.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

erosomniac: I don't agree with either of them when they're wrong. =)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.