FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Herb Garden

Author Topic: Herb Garden
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to plant an herb garden. Where should I put it and what herbs should I plant?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
In the ground helps.

I grow basil, dill, and lavender, because those are my favorite ones to smell. I tend to forget they're there when i need the herbs for cooking. If you get mint, remember that you'll be pulling mint out of your garden for the rest of your life.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
As close to the kitchen door as posssible makes you more likely to actually use the herbs when cooking. Many herbs like slightly sandy soil, too.

Oregano is beautiful and will get huge in a couple of years. Fresh rosemary is wonderful for cooking. I like anise and lemon verbana, as well. But really, it depends on what you like to cook with. Plant that. And basil. Everyone needs basil. It comes in lots of varieties. Get one of each. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I would put it outside, personally. That's where mine is.

[Smile]

Seriously, though, where you plant is somewhat dependent on what you plant. I mean, some herbs love full sun, and others like a little more shade. If all yours are sun worshippers, finding the spot in your yard that gets the most sun is best - be sure to keep track of what times shadows creep across your lawn (from trees, your own house, your neighbor's house, etc)

As for what to plant, what do you use? That's probably the easiest way to decide.

I have three types of basil, dill, sage, rosemary and thyme because I use all of those for cooking. I also have four types of mint (one wild that the previous owners had let take over their own garden), because my roommate is a mint-aholic.

Personally, I prefer a raised bed garden, because it gets better drainage, and has proven a passive deterrent to the rabbits in my yard (they go for my neighbor's ground level plants, but not the plants in my 10 in raised boxes) I also mix in about a shovel full of peat moss for every ten gallon bucket of top soil, or so, and use Miracle grow once a week.

Here's a pic, if you're interested.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

A note on the mint, make sure you confine it well. In my garden, the mint is segregated from the other herbs by plastic landscape edging that I hammer into the dirt.

So, there's plastic that goes about six to eight inches down, which has stopped the underground runners that mint throws off. Another trick is to cut the bottom out of a bucket, then set the bucket into the dirt with the plastic coming up about two inches or so above ground - then plant the mint in the bucket. That's worked well for friends of mine, too.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeesh..

Depending on local fauna, I strongly recomend cannabis. It's a great herb and if enough people grow it in their back yards, there will be no other alternative but to utterly decriminalize it.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Kaczmarczyk:
Jeesh..

Depending on local fauna, I strongly recomend cannabis. It's a great herb and if enough people grow it in their back yards, there will be no other alternative but to utterly decriminalize it.

I'm just flabbergasted to see you say that, Robin! It's so out of character!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Herbs can be grow very easily. Assess what herbs you use. I would strongly note once again the statements made about mints. They do tend to go everywhere unless you have them under control. I have basil, purple basil, marjarom, thyme, hot marjarom (great for spicy pizza sauce), rosemary, applemint, orangemint, peppermint, spearmint, lemonbalm, and sage in my herb garden. Just pay attention to certain details. I had fennel for a while, loved it but it died off because where I was growing it in a shady area and they like full sun. Also Basil has to be uprooted and moved indoors during the winter here, so you will want to look into the different needs for your climate zone.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, in the spirit of the "pastor predicts" thread, I almost mentioned something about God telling me that Robin was going to come into this thread in order to plug marijuana. But I refrained. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in college, but I love to cook, and miss green things...

Anyone have recommendations for herbs that would grow well indoors near a window?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
my roommate is a mint-aholic.

Your roommate is addicted to mintahol? Is that like peppermint schnapps?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

The mint would work, I think that stuff grows anywhere. And basil does fairly well in a pot. Rosemary and lavender do well, too.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My herb garden failed. [Frown] I didn't put any sand in the soil, maybe that is why?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I have no sand in my soil, and it's doing well. Just top soil, peat moss, and dehydrated manure. There could be all kinds of factors to why your herbs didn't grow. The soil could have been too dry or too wet (drainage), there could have been too little minerals and organic material (very dusty dirt, or pure sand), the soil could have been too acidic or base (near a cement foundation, for instance), it might have gotten too much or too little sun, or the weather conditions might not have been good for the herbs you tried to grow.

Lots of factors - you could even have had burrowing grubs or insects (or animals) that were eating your root systems.

As for indoor plants, you can buy indoor rosemary "trees" that grow in pots rather well. Mint is damn near impossible to kill, so it should grow indoors (and any who are having trouble growing herbs, you won't have trouble growing mint). A friend had a sage plant grow inside very well for several years, as well, though she put it out on her porch in good weather.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have licorice mint, pineapple mint, chocolate mint, pineapple sage, two varieties of rosemary and 14 varieties of thyme. I started basil and marjoram indoors, but never got them into the ground. [Frown] They are totally stunted now, but if I get any more space cleared I'll still try to plant them. Or else I'll nick a cutting or two off ElJay's basil when we're up there next week. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Musta been my upbrining...

Sex, drugs and Rock & Roll.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a Herb who is always involved with a lot of fertilizer, but something tells me you weren't discussing him.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
We grow chives and parsley in the backyard in very poor conditions (on the cold side of the house with very little sun) and they do very well.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Dana, you'd be surprised how well basil bounces back. Mine looked like crap last week, and then I clipped off a couple leaves for pasta sauce, and now it looks great!

Ni!

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I thought for sure my cinnamon basil would die, and one of the three plants did before the other two bounced back. The two remaining plants were wilted, bent over, and practically laying with their stems flat on the surface of the soil... then they snapped out of it and are now growing strong (well, two of the three, at least).
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've got something going on that I'm not quite sure how to solve positively. I've got a kaffir lime plant, the leaves of which I use as an herb when I'm cooking various Thai dishes. In the summers I set it outside. It's flourishing as usual this year, despite a scale infestation, but a colony of really, really tiny ants seems to have established itself in the pot. If I could leave the plant outside year round that wouldn't be a problem, but I can't do that.

How can I get rid of the ants? I don't want to use pesticide (both out of a general concern for the environment and out of a particular concern that they would take the poison home, where it would get soaked up by the plant, likely rendering its leaves at least mildly toxic.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Boric acid would be my suggestion. I've never used it, but I've heard it reccommended a lot.

quote:
It can be used as an antiseptic only for minor burns or cuts and is sometimes used in dressings or salves or is applied in a very dilute solution as an eye wash. It is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled, although it is generally not considered to be much more toxic than table salt (based on its mammal LD50 rating of 2660mg/kg body mass).
Boric acid can be used to treat yeast and fungal infections such as candidiasis (vaginal yeast infections) by filling gelcaps with boric acid powder and inserting two into the vaginal canal at bedtime for three to four nights in a row. It is also used as prevention of athlete's foot, by inserting powder in the socks or stockings, and in solution can be used to treat some kinds of otitis externa (ear infection) in both humans and animals. The preservative in urine sample bottles (red cap) in the UK is Boric acid.
It is often used as a relatively nontoxic insecticide, for killing cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, and many other insects. It can be used directly in powdered form for fleas and cockroaches, or mixed with sugar or grape jelly for ants. It is also a component of many commercial insecticides. In this use, especially in the case of cockroaches, the boric acid in the form of a powder is applied to areas frequented by the insects. The lightweight particles cling to the legs of the insects and eventually cause fatal chemical burns. Boric acid for this use in residential apartments is sold commercially in urban areas afflicted with cockroaches.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have dealt with fire ants (out of dire necessity) by soaking the hill with rum and setting it on fire, but I wouldn't recommend that. It seems a particularly painful way to die.

I do know that ants act drunk when they sip Fresca.

----

Edited to add: and what ElJay said (as always), or possibly try your state university's cooperative extension agent. For ideas, that is, not on the ants per se.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Don't use Boric Acid!

It's great to kill ants, yes, but if it's used in soil, it also makes that soil infertile, and will kill your lime plant.

quote:
Boric acid is intended for indoor use, not outdoor use. Boric acid can kill your plants as well as it can kill roaches. The boron in boric acid is a nutrient needed in very small quantities by plants. Even a little too much boron is toxic to plants.
If your plant is in a pot, drown it repeatedly with water while it's outside. If you keep the soil super-saturated, the ants will have no way of living there and will relocate.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I have dealt with fire ants (out of dire necessity) by soaking the hill with rum and setting it on fire, but I wouldn't recommend that.

[Eek!] That sounds like a pretty...extreme solution. How did you happen to come to that point ::he asked saucily::?

quote:
I do know that ants act drunk when they sip Fresca.
Its the esthers of wood rosin, I tell 'ya.

quote:
....or possibly try your state university's cooperative extension agent.
Not a bad idea.

quote:
For ideas, that is, not on the ants per se.

::snort::
Noemon
Member # 1115

FlyingCow, thanks for the warning; I was planning on looking into getting boric acid this weekend.

Flooding the pot repeatedly isn't a bad idea, but given that it drains well enough not to rot the roots, would it flood enough to drive out the ants?

Hm...I wonder if diatomacious earth dumped in the pot would be helpful?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, as expensive as gas is, it would still be cheaper and far more effective to use it to do what you suggest, as it is far more volatile than booze.

Now, mix the gas with a little styrofoam and you can have a little homemade napalm to screw with the little buggers.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, take the whole pot and soak it in a tub of water for about 15 minutes to a half hour. Set it out and let it drain for at least 24 hours. Do this repeatedly every couple of days or so for a week or two or until you don't see anymore ants. I'm just pulling this out of my head since I haven't had that problem and haven't read up on fixing it, but it seems like that would work. I'd certainly move if my home kept getting flooded every couple of days.

(This probably won't hurt the plant if you are sure to give it really good drainage. If the soil appears soggy or the plant gives any sign of wilt, try to improve the drainage and stop the water treatments for a few days.)

Alternatively, you could re-pot the plant. If it's been in the same pot for a long time, it might be a good idea anyway. Check to make sure it's not getting root-bound, and if it's the type of plant that can be divided you might get two for one out of it.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Even with plenty of drainage, the excessive water would collapse and flood the ant tunnels often enough for it to be an unfavorable place to live.

Ants don't make their colonies under downspouts, for instance. If you make it inconvenient enough for them, they will find a less difficult home.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.