FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free Aung San Suu Kyi

Author Topic: Free Aung San Suu Kyi
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been following off and on for the past three years the story of Myanmar's shameful treatment of pro-democracy advocate Aung San Suu Kyi. Today is her 61st birthday. Just wanted to vent my outrage.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Suu Kyi's house arrest was just extended for another year. With all the talk of Burma/Myanmar over the past two months, I've hardly heard her name (and her plight) mentioned at all. Which I find tragic.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually kind of relieved when I saw this story on the BBC News this morning. The fact that they're extending her house arrest is horrible, of course, but I'd sort of expected that SLORC would take advantage of the hurricane to disappear her.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know what an Aung San Suu Kyi was, but if it was free then I wanted one.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I was actually kind of relieved when I saw this story on the BBC News this morning. The fact that they're extending her house arrest is horrible, of course, but I'd sort of expected that SLORC would take advantage of the hurricane to disappear her.

I had thought of that, too.

PSI: not funny or appropriate.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Myanmar's government is insane. Especially in the aftermath of the typhoon.

Here's hoping Aung San Suu Kyi outlives the military regime.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
kq- It wouldn't have been funny if I had been kidding. But that's really why I opened the thread.

If you really think it's inappropriate, feel free to whistle.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it was funny, and not inappropriate enough to bother whistling. I thought the same thing because I didn't know who Suu Kyi is. I thought it might be a free book or music download by a person of that name (or with that title).

I'm sorry to hear of her plight.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If I thought it was that inappropriate, I would whistle it. I'm just telling you that it's the kind of thought that, when I have them, I either share privately elsewhere, or keep to myself-- not post in thread about it. Because it's inappropriate enough to elicit a frown instead of a laugh.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Free Aung San Suu Kyi
... by posting on Intertube fora!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

*sigh* I wasn't making fun of the situation, I was making fun of myself. But I'm glad someone's mature enough not to do that, since I'm not.

On the other hand, I don't generally call people on everything they do that strikes me as inappropriate, in forums or IRL.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I generally don't either.

I guess I'm significantly emotionally invested in this situation, to the point where it bothered me a bit more than usual.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

*nod* I'm sorry that I offended you, then. It was unintentional.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And also, I guess I generally find you to be fairly considerate of others' feelings and so thought it was worthwhile to let you know about my feelings on your comment. If it had been, well, certain other posters whom I won't name, I would definitely not have bothered.

I hope you will consider it a compliment, and consider us still friends. [Smile] )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Smile] See what I mean? [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends with a condiment?

Inconceivable!

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, internet posters getting along. [Smile] I'm making a note on my calendar.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This is why I like Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Excuse me.

*smites Kwea with the Ketchup of Righteousness* [Razz]

Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
HEE!

I envy you for your condimental superpower. [Smile]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Noemon:
[qb]

PSI: not funny or appropriate.

Not to stir anything up, but that was the exact reason i clicked this thread. i thought someone was giving away free stuff.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of surprising to me that so many people have never heard of her. I'm sure that there are any number of things that are common knowledge to many people here that would leave me scratching my head in confusion, though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its the Doctor's greatest asset to make light of serious situations.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Obama calls for the immediate release of Aung San Suu Kyi

The house arrest has been dropped, but she's still on trial for "a visit to her house by a US man who had not been invited."

President Obama:
quote:
Aung San Suu Kyi's continued detention, isolation, and show trial based on spurious charges cast serious doubt on the Burmese regime's willingness to be a responsible member of the international community.

It is time for the Burmese government to drop all charges against Aung San Suu Kyi and unconditionally release her and her fellow political prisoners

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Show trial deadline passes; government extends to address "legal problem" According to Suu Kyi's lawyer, the problem is that the military junta can't try her under the 1967 constitution that was revoked during the 1988 revolution.

The expected outcome of the trial is a 5-year prison sentence for Suu Kyi. One interesting tidbit I hadn't heard previously: according to the article, John Yettaw, the American man who visited without government permission, "swam to her home uninvited."

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sorry, but were talking injustice in a communist country? and your worried about the case that China is allowing to publicized? what ever happened to the stabbing during the Biejing olympics, or atleast the only one that was once again, allowed to be publicized. There are bigger things to worry about from China.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, ok? This thread is about Burma. What does China have to do with it? And up until you posted, it had enough apostrophe's. Now I'm having to add some to make up for you're deficit of 'em.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
AchillesHeel: The guy who did the stabbing committed suicide right afterward, what should they be doing about it?

Also I'll echo KOM and use a Chinese phrase, "What's that got to do with the price of rice in China?" Aung San Suu Kyi is a wonderful human being who wants to free the Burmese from the oppressive Junta government. Burma is such a picturesque place with wonderful people, it's a shame they can't live with even the most fundamental humane treatment.

Though to be honest, if I had to pick a country where their totalitarian regime could excised without delay I'd choose North Korea. 40 years ago it would have been China.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Clinton calls for Aung San Suu Kyi's release

The government extension ended with the inevitable conviction and the remanding of Suu Kyi for another year and a half of house arrest, which means she will still be imprisoned during the "elections" that are to be held next year.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I hope you will consider it a compliment, and consider us still friends.
Just for the record, I didn't ignore this comment. I just never came back to the thread, until today. [Smile]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Free Aung San Suu Kyi
... by posting on Intertube fora!
Hey! It worked!

And now, with her party winning the national elections she's going to be ... well, not the President because she's constitutionally barred from that position. But the leader of the country, even if without a formal title.

Just remember kids, never underestimate the power of posting in internet fora.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
We did it everyone

kony2012

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
It feels awkward in here.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.