FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Censure and Censorship

Author Topic: Censure and Censorship
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your views on this, kids?

Should we be auto-censuring?

Should we be censored by others?

Usually, if one visits someone's home (or forum) one tries to abide by the rules of that home or forum. I believe that's right.

But..

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. And yes.
Conditions may apply.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round
'Round and 'round.
The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round
All through the town.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I hoped for a longer answer.

After all..

I'm trying to be self-censoring JUST out of love for old Uncle O.

And of course, I disagree.. If only to play devil's advocate.

But the Bible does say: "And the truth shall set you free".. I live by that. And since we are in a mormon's forum, and most censorship I encounter is based on ethics and priciples based on religous authority, please do me a favor.. Show me biblical reasons to be censoring and self-censoring.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Life's rough.
quote:
Show me biblical reasons to be censoring and self-censoring.
Do your own homework.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Would you have sex in front of a three year old?

No. This is why I can't see 'R' movies. They judge us by age, not by who we are, or what we've already seen.

Yes, if you are in someone else's house or forum, please be respectful and obey their rules. They just might do the same for you.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
JEESH? would you have sex in front of a 30 year old?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe with a 30 yr old...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dab:
JEESH? would you have sex in front of a 30 year old?

[Angst] Wrong on so many levels...
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
JT wins the thread.
(Sorry it's not a better prize, though.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
Would you have sex in front of a three year old?

Please do not ask Robin this sort of question. Judging from one of his other threads, you may not like his answer.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Enigmatic- I thought Tante's response was pretty amazing.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
His answer might include the phrase "with a".....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 

Then a more specific question would have been in order. As asked, you could write books answering. And people have.

I think we should respect others, and the requires a certain amount of self-censoring when appropriate. How much and when depends on the topic, the context, the likely audience, the quality and nature of the expression, and the intention.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

I believe in self censoring.

I do not believe in censoring by others.

Unless is in their turf. And turf battles are just that.. battles.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* You know, Robin, I ticked off OSC a little while ago, and he accused me of being, well, exactly what you are.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, Robin, Hatrack and the rest of the world does not run on what you believe. I find that knowledge very comforting.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*laugh* You know, Robin, I ticked off OSC a little while ago, and he accused me of being, well, exactly what you are.

What am I? I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
CRAZY!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Loco!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.