FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » D&D and our local Gods

Author Topic: D&D and our local Gods
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay..

Here's my take on it from Hightest Level Gods to lower level Heroes and such top ten list:

#1. Vishnu - Infinite level Avatar
#1 1/2 Brahma - Infinite level Avatar
#2. Siva - Almost infinite level Avatar
#3. JHVH - Infinite level Avatar
#4. Alla - Infinite level Avatar
#5. Buda - Almost infinite level Avatar
#6. Lucifer (aka..) 44th level reptilian Magic-User/Cleric/Assassin
#7. Jesus 44th level human Cleric/Magic-User/Theif
#8. Quetzalcoatl 33rd level reptilian Cleric/Magic User/Ranger
#9. Mohammed 33rd level human Cleric
#10.Hiuxilopoztli 33rd level reptilian Magic User/Assassin

I should add:

#11 Baba Yaga - 33rd level gnome? Magic User.

Donno.. These are the ones that come to mind. Maybe you have a different take on them, and certainly, this is not including my oriental adventures list. But heck, it's a start.

Now, in the case of Vishnu, he has different incarnations (Krsna, Rama, etc...) so I don't count the incarnations as separate entities.

I did not count alignment because I think in most cases it is self-evident. Also, I am sticking to 1st edition rules. None of those 'sepcialized' magic users types. Otherwise, you could say Jesus was an Enchanter, etc..

But I'd love to see your take on it, hatrackers!

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

Robin? Is this what you do all day?

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being 10 years old and killing my way through Deities and Demigods with my little brother and his friends. Good times.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
Hmm...

Robin? Is this what you do all day?

I also like to take long walks by the beach and OCCASIONALLY, write what I am paid to write.
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Under the rules, a God is not an Avatar unless it has a physical form that it is engizing on the material plane, in which case it has any stats that it wants up to the limits of the form it chooses, therefore "infinite level" is a null statement.

Dieties are also squabbling of archetypical concepts which they accumulate into a "portfolio" of powers. Their minions struggle on the material plane to decide whe is the god of 'strife' or 'war' or 'love' or 'dispair' or 'luck' etc. so your definition attempt in D&D terms while not without merit is deeply flawed. A better list follows.

#1. Vishnu - Major Diety Portfolio (Death,Darkness Dispair) NE
#1 1/2 Brahma - Major Diety Portfolio (Life, Renewal, Light) LG
#2. Siva - Middle Diety (War, Destruction,Justice) LN
#3. JHVH - Greater Diety (Pantheon Master) N
#4. Alla - Minor Diety (War, Deception, Poetry) LE
#5. Buda - Avatar LV 25 No Class N
#6. Lucifer Arch Fiend Fallen Celestial (Lies, Temptation, Corruption) LE
#7. Jesus Avatar of JHVH LV 7/10/5 (23)Sorcerer/Priest/MU LG
#8. Quetzalcoatl Minor Diety (Reptiles, Lore, Civilization)
#9. Mohammed Poet/Thief/Fighter 3/7/5 LE
#10.Hiuxilopoztli (Never Heard of Him)

As for Baba Yaga, I believe the stats say she is a Magic User Lich. LV 23 maybe?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Under the rules, a God is not an Avatar unless it has a physical form that it is engizing on the material plane, in which case it has any stats that it wants up to the limits of the form it chooses...
Depends on the edition you're using, of course. [Smile]

And you really want to reconsider your assessment of Vishnu. I think you're thinking of another god. *laugh*

(BTW, Huitzilopoctli (or Hiuxilopoztli) was a war-god.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Poets are considered Bards in D&D.

Also, I totally disagree with YHVH. The gnostics actually have him as an extremely high level vampire. I just didn't want to bring that up.

I do agree with the avatar.

I prefer your definition of Pantheon Master (or better yet, Dungeon Master Level)

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Well you should keep up with the times nee... Yea I see that, still the idea is clear. It even goes along with some of the beliefs in the Bible expressed by ancient peoples, "Their's is a God of the mountains, we will fight them on the valley floor," "I will show them I a God in the Valley too... Go get a dozen guys and get ready to fight..."

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

It is not a new concept the rules call for over dieties in every world group, always Neutral in alignment

BC

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Chaotic Neutral?
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Any God of Chaos is Chaotic Neutral, just as any God devoted to Law is Lawful Neutral, to parse it down think of Devils, very organized and hierarchical out for lust power and oppression, Lawful Evil. Now the Elven Pantheon, very organized and Hierarchical for the good of the greatest number, Lawful Good. Lawful Neutral looks at each and either approves of the spotless society that runs so efficiently or actively tries to lay evil on the elves and goodness on the devils while maintaining the Law.

On the Chaotic end you have Chaotic Evil, most Demons fall here, but in a way the Demon Lords are more Lawful Evil in theory with themselves as the Law. But They are so Whim driven as to be useless in creating any long lasting social structure. Chaotic Good is a solid adventuring alignment, you have to break the law so much as an adventurer it is best to just have your own code based on helping others and doing no harm and as much good as you can. Chaotic Neutral is totally whim driven without a will to dominate or to help others. It is the Loki, Coyote Alignment type.

BC

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, in player character terms, Chaotic Neutral usually just amounts to Chaotic Greedy.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
This is funny, and I don't even know what you guys are talking about.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Haven't seen that alignment since Gygax play tested it at GenCon in 85' really brings back the old memories...

BC

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember The Doctor--30th level Cleric/Thief/Magician that wandered into one of my campaigns. He had unlimited use of Command spell, which, if you watch the shows, he does.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.