FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » computer question

Author Topic: computer question
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
So there was just a some sort of short circuit/power surge in my house. It wasn't a power outgage, because everything stayed on and nothing reset. But there was a huge popping sound, everything flickered, etc...

Well now the color of my monitor is inverted. I think that's what it is. Not sure how to describe it. I've seen pictures/film like this before. Not sure what's it's called. Overexposed film? the negative of a film? Anyway, that's what it is.

So what happened? Is my video card fried? Is it the monitor? Anyone have any experience with this?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No mushrooms or psychedelics involved, right?

*joke*

Did you try rebooting?

The techs in my agency swear that rebooting works in 90% of the cases.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
my PC at work sometimes does this weird thing where the monitor goes into vertical colored lines - mostly black and white with a little color. The cursor turns into a large (looks about 1 inch across) square. I shut down (turn off, since I can't see the Start button), and when it comes back on, it's fine.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

well, I must be in the unlucky 10%.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a CRT or LCD monitor?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rats.

No idea, then.

But with all the expertise floating around the 'rack, someone'll know.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried degaussing it, if it's a CRT?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing you could try is unplugging it for a long time. If it's CRT, this will allow those huge freaking capacitors in there to drain and may allow it to reset. I say may, because monitors are a pain in the arse and they're not really servicable on the consumer level.

Most CRT monitors are soft-powered these days. This means that there's almost always some electricity running in the circuits. This allows it to power on faster, but also means that, if there's anything wrong that cutting off power will fix, simply turning the monitor off with its power button will not be sufficient.

Do you have another monitor laying around that was not plugged in at the time? If so, plug that one into the computer and see what happens. At least then you could determine if is the computer or the monitor that is at fault.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
it's an LCD. I unplugged it completely when I was trying out a different monitor. The other monitor worked fine, and when i plugged this one back in, it also worked fine.

So, that's good. Scared me for a bit though. Actually, pissed me off for a bit.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

hah...whoops.

Sho'nuff shouldn't even know how to use a computer.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.