FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Truth, Justice, and the American Way

Author Topic: Truth, Justice, and the American Way
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article in the NY Times today about the history of Superman and the slogan "Truth, Justice and the American Way." http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/opinion/30lundegaard.html?ex=1152331200&en=2a3ea923e2533ece&ei=5070&emc=eta1

This opinion article makes the point that Superman hasn't alweays been assoociated with the expression and that just saying "Turth and Justice" and omiting "the American Way" is consistent with the roots of the character. Interesting history, but beside the point. Fact is that for over sixty years superman has been identified with "truth, justice and the American way." I can appreciate that the studio wants to make the character more international to recoup it's money and not risk alienating foreign markets, but I can't help to feel that the character loses something in the process. The "American Way" is now also absent in the comic book, BTW.

I'm curious about how you non-American fans of Superman feel about Superman as an American Icon representing Truth, Justice and the American Way. From your standpoint, were the studio's concerns justified?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the patriotic scene with the flag at the end of Spiderman drove away so many foreign movie-goers.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Because the patriotic scene with the flag at the end of Spiderman drove away so many foreign movie-goers.

Interesting. First I hear of that. (I don't remember the flag waving in Spiderman, but I'll take your word on it.) From all I've read both movies were great successes overseas. On what do you base your allegation that foreign movie-goers were avoided the movie because of a patriotic scene?
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an eyeroll after that, no?

I was being sarcastic.

To be more clear, the patriotic sentiment in Spiderman in no way affected sales of the movie overseas - so some perceived fear about a patriotic scene in Superman seems silly to me.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather baffled by the fact that this apparently merited mention in the Times. Does anyone on Earth actually care?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The patriotic sentiment in Spider-Man also came after 9/11 but before the latest Iraq war, when international opinions changed, so it could be a valid concern.

That said, I think they should have left it in. Superman stands for our ideals, not necessarily all of our actions or any particular political party, in power or not.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's currently absent in other formats (and apparently has been absent in other formats for some time), wouldn't it be more accurate to say that they didn't add it than that they removed it?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

Sorry FlyingCow, didn't understand the meaning of the rolling eyes. My bad.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The "American Way" thing really isn't a core part of the character. It's a catchy slogan. Nothing more.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
It was cool when we were (and when he was)fighting Commies and Nazis.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the core of the character is wanted, how about that catchy slogan from the forties, "Slap a Jap today! Buy war bonds!"?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure what "The American Way" really is or whether I want to have my heroes subscribing to it...
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Figures.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would be totally happy to have my heroes subscribe to "truth and justice: the American way" but I'm not sure it works that way.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The "American Way" thing really isn't a core part of the character. It's a catchy slogan. Nothing more.

You can argue that it no longer is part of the character but you can't argue it was never that way. Superman used to bust up corrupt union leaders and politicians because he was making America safe. There is even a series done about what if Superman's capsule had landed in the Soviet Union and he subsequentially became the Communist Poster Boy? If they can do THAT "what if" in the 90's then there is certainly still a sentiment that Superman is our (our = America's) poster boy.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
?

Where did I say "it never was that way"?

The series "Red Son" was not done in the 90s.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fact is that for over sixty years superman has been identified with "truth, justice and the American way."
In the 70s it was "and the Terran way."

Better to leave it off than that, but I kind of liked it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the American Way was more of an ideal than a representation of our current actions. But I could easily see how "The American Way" today could mean something totally different than it did 50 years ago.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the phrase makes sense any more. Truth, Justice, and America don't have a lot in common today.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Superman isn't so much into wiretapping and the Patriot act, so he's distancing himself from all the politics.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
A page from Action Comics #1.

A sinister politician attempts to embroil America with Europe!

The American way is, apparently, isolationism.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm rather baffled by the fact that this apparently merited mention in the Times. Does anyone on Earth actually care?

Apparently, yes. This saddens me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Why?

quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Apparently, yes. This saddens me.

Why?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This post was unfair and angry, and since I can't think of anything constructive to say, I'm going to back out of this thread.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

My post was unfair and angry? I don't see why.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, her post was, so she didn't post it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, got you. Thanks.
Jacen
Member # 9543

- posted      Profile for Jacen   Email Jacen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the way I see it, the scene was played out exactly like it should be. The sentence flowed better and seemed more in character for a fast talking journalist who's heading up a war meeting and trying to rush through things, get things started. It's the way he would talk and the way I would've played the character myself.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I'm rather baffled by the fact that this apparently merited mention in the Times. Does anyone on Earth actually care?"

Why?

What are you asking "why" about? Are you asking "why" I'm asking "does?" If so, why? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Why are you baffled?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I feel that there has to be the obligatory mention of the fact that Superman was created by a Canadian, Metropolis was originally based on Toronto, and the Daily Planet based on the Toronto Star.

Please resume your discussion now.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Why are you baffled?
Because there are literally thousands of interesting things happening all over the world. And in the latest Superman movie alone, there were at least four interesting things. There's no way all of them were already addressed by the Times, which means that someone considered this almost completely inconsequential issue more interesting for some reason than almost everything else in the entire world that day. Baffling.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You must be baffled every day by the Times then.

The article was about the catch phrase of the oldest superhero still published, who has appeared in every popular medium. The catch phrase was changed. To the extent they write any article about any movie's pop-culture effects, this isn't anything unusual.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it ironic that a blog with such a rabidly anti-immigration stance would have Kal-el (Superman), an illegal alien (in both senses of the word), as it's icon.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/illegal_aliens/index.html

This guy argues in his essay "What Makes Superman So Darned American?" that it's precisely because Superman is an immigrant that makes him the quintessential American.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

The article was about the catch phrase of the oldest superhero still published, who has appeared in every popular medium.

Maybe that's the problem. I've been a regular Superman reader for years, and had no idea that anyone thought "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" was still his catchphrase until I saw this article.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- Canadian [et British, which might colour my statement a bit so I thought to mention.]

quote:
American Way
First of all, I wouldn't know what this meant. Presumably something about Good Guys vs. Bad Guys, probably 'truth' and 'justice' are included in there. Something about Communists/Nazis vs. Democracy etc. Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, Superman.

Personally, I think these kinds of statements [The "American Way", the "British Way", the "Canadian Way" etc.] very weak for a couple of reasons. 1: The older a country gets, the more likely it is to become 'stained' and the 'way' more difficult to throw off in such a phrase. 2: It's never just Good Guys vs. Bad Guys in real life, which the phrase implies is involved. 3: There is no one 'way'. I think you'd have a hard time finding even two people who would agree exactly what the 'way' is.

I'd be wary of using such a phrase because it's so very shallow for these reasons. It flattens the country referred to and the world in contrast. It's also a bit campy, a bit oldy-worldy. A bit New Hope. A bit kid's comic book. Better to stick to "truth" and "justice"- two fuzzy, but nevertheless unarguable and spotless qualities. The director seemed like a bright sparky kind of guy when I saw him in a Superman documentry. He would know that using such a phrase would be- wrong.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For all this talk of "Truth, Justice and the American Way", it remains indisputable that Superman is, indeed, an undocumented alien, and, if many patriotic, conservative Americans had their way, he would be deported.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

For all this talk of "Truth, Justice and the American Way", it remains indisputable that Superman is, indeed, an undocumented alien, and, if many patriotic, conservative Americans had their way, he would be deported.

I'm a legal immigrant and one of those patriotic conservatives. I don't think any patriotic conservative Americans would call for the deportation of Clark Kent/Superman, especially because of the fact of his extraordinary powers and that his home planet blew up. All other illegal aliens, sure lets deport them all.

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it a bit funny that all it takes to get all the America bashers to come out of the wood work is a slogan from Super Man. I think half the problem with everything now a days is you can't really be polite and cheer on a side. Unless it pertains to sports, but even that can be dangerous now a days. I would hate to run through England with a Portugese jersey on.

What is everyones problem with living with the facts of life? If you dig deep enough everyone has done something stupid. The only thing history should be good for to a lot of you is showing how bottling up all your emotions and feelings on a subject tends to let it get released in a rather violent manner.

Guess what people as an American you live in the most powerful nation on earth, of course its going to become slightly imperial. The interesting thing is its not the governments fault, its the peoples. Everyone wants more, and wants it on a regular drip. The nation really generally only does what its people demand of it. Sometimes I think America should become isloationist again, not just to let the rest of the world suffer, but Americans as well. People never learn though, that is a good historical lesson. In that vein its a good thing that the government does so many things that irritate a portion of the populace. If you look at it Americans are losing their right to liberty and freedom everday, and it is their own fault. We are too middle class, too scared to lose what great bounty we have. That and it is understandable those that have much tend to risk very little.

The sad thing is that it will be patriots, people who love the people of the United States of America, that will fix things if it ever happens. Sadly those people will continue to be denounced by both sides, the "patriot" and those who find anyone that takes anything close of an actual realistic side offensive.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

Excellent point Black Fox.

What I find interest are those responses that focus on individual policy differences with the Bush admin, and let those issue stand for the "American way." I think that this approach loses sight of the bigger picture: disagreeing on policy issues and feeling free to express those disagreements is part of what it means to have an American way. Sure there are now other democracies out there, but we were first, we lead the way, and are now still leading the way.

When the poop hits the fan anywhere in the world, where does the world look to first, and blame if nothing is done fast enough. Where do the world's look to to for a brighter future (I'm looking at you Mexico): the US. The US is a beacon of hope, and has been since its inception. It's offered help when no one else can. That's why "the American Way" has fitted Superman so well.

It's funny how it seems that illegal aliens risking their lives in the deserts of the Southwest in search of opprotunity and a better life may have a better sense of what the American way is than pampered leftests and America-haters here in the US.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't understand what "the American way" means. Clearly not "truth" and "justice", as those have already been covered and I assume Supes doesn't stand for redundancy (although I could be wrong). Does it mean he stands for furthering America interests internationally? For upholding the American constitution domestically? Preserving the status quo of American social mores? Is the American way supposed to be simply hope for the future (in America)?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really kind of a non-issue. I agree with Tom.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, my apologies for reviving this thread, but hey, it's been an awfully slow day at work.
So forgive me...

The phrase 'The American Way' IMO shouldn't be connected with Superman. It's probably more fitting to have Captain America say things like that. I say this because most interpret the phrase as being fiercely nationalistic/patriotic.

As for the meaning of the phrase in question, I feel that it's entirely too vague to attach any particular meaning to it. I shall, however, endeavour to find one that won't upset too many people.

My explanation of "The American Way":
When known solutions do not seem to work, look for a new way, but always with the good of the general public in mind.

This is in fact nothing more than a description of what the first settlers did.
so, "The American Way" to my mind doesn't mean: 'in an American manner', but something more along the lines of: 'in the way that once led to the creation of America'

I hope I haven't confused the matter any further...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.