FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where have all the moderates gone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where have all the moderates gone?
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Angiomorph, again, I do not see how your argument, which is, at best, semi-valid, bears any relevence here, as I have not used any particularly esoteric language here, nor do I believe my syntax to be particularly complex; rather, I have strived for clarity.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarity AND pedantry. [Smile]
It's possible to be precise without also being stuffy.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Clarity AND pedantry. [Smile]
It's possible to be precise without also being stuffy.

Ok you made me lol with that comment. Here I am trying to write an essay for Chinese class and pulling my hair out because its so hard to understand, so I browse this thread and come across "obfuscation" and of course I have to look that word up too.

DAMN YOU TOWER OF BABEL!!! ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!

That said, I think the problem with the word moderate is that the words liberal and conservative are always in a state of flux. Our founding fathers were considered liberal and yet their ideas in todays political arena are considered ultra conservative in many respects. Now yes it could be argued that they were also conservative in many of their views when compared to the mindsets of their time, thus the nation they created was blissfully moderate.

I really do not know how anyone holds on to eternal truths and yet remains open to the new truths that are revealed down the road.

I just think I am doing it I suppose [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
I think both parties (all 3 including Libertarians) are out of touch with the nation at large.

Check all these polls. Seems like a lot of moderates to me.

http://pewresearch.org/datatrends/?NumberID=15

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angiomorph, again, I do not see how your argument, which is, at best, semi-valid, bears any relevence here, as I have not used any particularly esoteric language here, nor do I believe my syntax to be particularly complex; rather, I have strived for clarity.

You need to go outside.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
The funny thing is that by using the word "obfuscation", you are forced into obfuscation.

And if I use "circumlocution," I am forced into circumlocution.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius, just count the number of commas in your sentences and attempt to halve it. At the moment reading your sentences gives me an odd impression that you're having an asthma attack.

Not the most convincing of argumentative tones.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:

quote:
Originally posted by Mintieman:
Pelegius, just count the number of commas in your sentences and attempt to halve it. At the moment reading your sentences gives me an odd impression that you're having an asthma attack.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

While I recognize the comma, and the clauses which follow it, is out of vogue, it is, in fact, a valid piece of punctuation which saves one from the having to use parentheses every time one wishes to make a parenthetical comment.

Mintieman, if we are on the subject, your advice migh have been more elegently rendered as "Pelegius, just count the number of commas in your sentences and attempt to halve it: at the moment reading your sentences gives me an odd impression that you're having an asthma attack."

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know it's perfectly grammatical to leave commas out of some parentheticals, right? You could have written your previous sentence as "While I recognize the comma and the clauses which follow it is (sic) out of vogue, it is in fact a valid piece of punctuation which saves one from the having (sic) to use parentheses every time one wishes to make a parenthetical comment."

Far better, of course, is to leave out the parentheticals altogether; as in my example above, they tend to be used frivolously and often condescendingly -- which doesn't help people take you seriously, especially when you're doing ridiculously twee things like advising someone to join two sentences with a colon for "elegance" and using "one" all the time, as if you were an 18th-century textbook.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to look up the word 'twee,' Tom.

Thus, you are pretensious.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Tom, you write (sic) where you do not need it. The Latin "sic" means something like the English "thus" and is used in English to mean something like "it was found thu;" however, such use implies a mistake on the part of the origional writer. I admit to having made a mistake in the second case "the having" being nonsensical, but, in the first case, I was entirely correct to use "is" becouse "comma" is singular the clauses following the comma having no effect of the number of the verb.

Futhermore, the word "one" is standard English pronoun meaning "An unspecified individual." There is simply no other three-letter commonly understood word that means the same thing. To criticize the use of the word "one" to refer to an unspecified individual is a bizzare as criticizing the use of the word "you" in the second person vocative.

My old English/Latin/Philosophy/Ancient History teacher used to criticize thesauri, becouse, as he said, no word is exactly synonymous in both denotation and conotation. As usual, he was right.

Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are missing the point Pel, so let me make it nice and clear for you.

The way you speak can be summed up with a few "big words" (whose webster's definitions I am sure you can recite on command), like pedantic, pretentious, obfuscating, and condescendingly erudite. You also seem to have an compulsive preoccupation with commas, a condition which severely impacts the legibility of your writing.
(see how annoying that was?)

You might notice that not many people on Hatrack write like you do. This isn't because they aren't as learned as you. In fact, it's the opposite. You might have a nice education in greek philosophy and old english, but that doesn't mean you have to be a condescending prick when you talk to people. I went to a private high school too (I'm assuming here, and I apologize if the assumption is wrong), but you don't hear me talking like a tool.

Like I said before, maybe you're just proud of your knowledge and don't mean to come off the way you do, but regardless of your intent, you do come off that way, and you need to re-evalutate the way you write if you want to have constructive debates on this forum and not piss people off left and right (and if you want to get anywhere when you go to university).

Also I'm sorry if I am speaking for the general population here and you all don't share my opinion.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, you write (sic) where you do not need it. The Latin "sic" means something like the English "thus" and is used in English to mean something like "it was found thu;" however, such use implies a mistake on the part of the origional writer. I admit to having made a mistake in the second case "the having" being nonsensical, but, in the first case, I was entirely correct to use "is" becouse "comma" is singular the clauses following the comma having no effect of the number of the verb.

The subject of that sentence was "the comma and the clauses which follow it," which is a compound subject. That means it needs a plural verb.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

It could have been, but "and the clauses which follow it" were inserted after a comma, and were part of a parenthetical remark, not the subject.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that you set it off with commas doesn't make it parenthetical. The phrase "and the clauses which follow it" did not amplify or explain anything about the subject, "comma."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius, a word of caution:

Using correct grammar is lovely; defending your usage is fine; correcting other people's usage can be pretty obnoxious (and will leave you subject to Davidson's Law).

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar is for people without the imagination to make each sentence unique, as spelling is for people without the imagination to spell words more than one way.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I only correct those who correct me.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
Angio, agreed. Obfuscation is not cool.

The funny thing is that by using the word "obfuscation", you are forced into obfuscation.
Twas the point! [Taunt]

Angio, your last post made me laugh out loud. Well done, well done! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this was a waste of a forum page. . . [Grumble]

If anybody harps on my excessive use of . . .

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only correct those who correct me.

This sentence is clear, simple and to the point. I like it! [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, ...

There's "Grammar Nazi," there's "KNEEL BEFORE GRAMMAR ZOD" and then there's this.

[Cry]

(levity, not zing)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.