FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science Question (Or I almost set myself on fire)

Author Topic: Science Question (Or I almost set myself on fire)
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
You know how candle wicks sometimes curve? I was lighting a candle wick like that and the wick straightened up. Does anyone know why?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucy Lawless has a good explanation for this sort of thing,

"Uh, yeah, well whenever you notice something like that … a wizard did it."

Seriously though, I am not sure and I will consult my finger tip references for the answer.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Heat rises, and candles primarily burn the liquid/melted wax that rises up through the wick.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a droopy wick is like a bimetallic strip thermometer?

The side that droops has a loose weave, which supports less weight. Then, when it's lit, that side burns hotter because it gets more oxygen flow, which causes it to stand erect.

Much like hot air gets a rise out of Rush Limbaugh. Or at least, it used to.

Oh, come on. When do I ever give a completely straight answer? [Dont Know]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So many crude comments.

So little time.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
What TrapperKeeper said -- heat rises, and if the wick is small enough it gets pulled up.

How did you almost set yourself on fire?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Wearing long-sleeves while lighting mutiple candles.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't resist.

"Heat" doesn't rise. Heat refers to a transfer of energy, at least as physicists define it. It's not an agent but a process.

If you have a roughly homogeneous volume of something (say, air), and some of it is hot and some of it is cold, THEN one can say that the hotter air will rise. This is because the hot air is less dense than the cold air, and the bouyant force due to the surrounding cold air is sufficient to push it up.

Concerning the OT, perhaps there was more re-solidified wax in the underside of the curve. When you lit the wick, the wax therein remelted, and the weight distribution reached an equilibrium.

Is the effect repeatable?

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Uh, I'll check.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to all fire-related questions is: Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.