FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Effective terrorism

Author Topic: Effective terrorism
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It just occurred to me - what if the Twin Towers attacks had occurred on the 11th of July instead? With everyone referring to the 7-11 attacks, the chain would lose all its customers, and one of the real pillars of the American economy would be gone! Now, that would have been deadly. A mere three thousand dead? Pfft.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
are 7-11s even still around? I think the last I saw one was when our town's closed down about 18 years ago... but maybe I just avoid the right parts of the country...

man could I use a slurpy right now

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You're weird.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Or bored.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
are 7-11s even still around? I think the last I saw one was when our town's closed down about 18 years ago... but maybe I just avoid the right parts of the country...

man could I use a slurpy right now

Yes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I checked 7-11s were still around, but only in certain parts of the country.

I propose an alternate result of KoM's conjecture, though: In the wake of the 7-11 tragedy, the 7-11 chain becomes super patriotic incorporating the flag into their logo and carrying items that are all American- Freedom- Patriot- something or others. The mere act of filling up your gas tank becomes a (oddly fitting) memorial to the attacks. All other convenience stores go out of business as distraught Americans feel they must make all their purchases at 7-11 or else be "supporting the terrorists."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that one school, on 911 Oak Street, recently changed its name. It used to be called "The 911 School"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a story on Morning Edition last week or the week before about the ice houses in Texas that were the forerunners to 7-11.

I think they're (7-11 stores) quite regional. There are 2-3 here on Maui, but I don't ever remember seeing one in California, Idaho, Utah or New Mexico. When I lived in Virginia in the early '80's, there seemed to be one on every other corner, along with a Krispy Kreme store.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
They're all over the place in California.

They're a franchise, so they tend to clump in regions based on their recognizability, and whether certain areas have regional franchises that are cheaper to open. Or cooler.

Personally, I would open a Sheetz. With the computerized Cheese Steak thingy.

Don't see those in California.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't throw a stone without hitting a 7-11 around here. I can't believe they don't have them everywhere.

Where do you all get your slurpees from?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah has them all over the place. I saw three within 2 miles of one another there.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
7-11 is not allowed to be called 7-11 in/around Tallahasee because there's a one-off mom & pop store somewhere up there that pre-dates 7-11 and has the name.

But otherwise they are all over Florida.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have 7-11 in New Orleans. We have Circle K everywhere instead. [Frown] I like 7-11!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tons of 7-11's here in FL.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, not here in North Florida ... they sold all the ones north of St. Augustine.

A bunch down in Orlando, though. We used to use them as landmarks ... "Get off I-4 and turn left at the 7-Eleven, then turn right at the next 7-Eleven...."

I miss Slurpees too. Icees just are not the same.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
They would never do that all of their relatives are managers there.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...BC is channeling Joe Biden now?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
7-11 is in my area too, but 7-11 Japan is far bigger than anywhere else. http://www.sej.co.jp/english/company/g_stores.html

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the company that owned 7-Eleven was bought out by the Japanese company that had been licensing the 7-Eleven name in Japan ... so technically now it's Japanese-owned. [Smile]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They would never do that all of their relatives are managers there.
That's right, don't foget all those Hindu terrorists. They never get any press.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting story concerning 7-Eleven. For my business class we had to buy some stocks and one group bought a load of stock in 7-Eleven. We were keeping close track of the share price, but I guess not close watch on the news concerning the company, because lo and behold, we go to check the share price one day, and its gone. I never found out the full story of what exactly happened with that, but it was pretty funny. [Smile] .

On a completely irrelevant note, JennaDean, I'm on summer break, we should set a time and date to meet up somewhere. Maybe get a slurpee or something. lol. IM me or email me or somethin.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Last I checked 7-11s were still around, but only in certain parts of the country.

We have them all over the place here.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
If the terrorists could have found a numerical representation for Starbucks or just plain taken it out, the economy would have ground (no pun intended) to a halt as American workers dropped like flies.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
We have three of them here within a few miles of each other.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 7-11, but I grew up in Southeastern PA and I miss my Wawa! [Frown]
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife told me 7/11 started in Japan. When we went to Japan this summer I saw plenty of 7/11s. I wish I would have taken a picture.

I grew up in a small Utah town. There use to be 2 7/11s. They both were bought by Maverick when I was still a young teen. One has since closed and the other is still a Maverick.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. From the 7/11 website:
quote:
Founded in Dallas, Texas in 1927 as an ice company, 7-Eleven pioneered the convenience store concept during its early years when its ice docks began selling milk, bread and eggs as a convenience to customers.

The name 7-Eleven originated in 1946 when the stores were open from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. Today, offering customers 24-hour convenience, seven days a week is the cornerstone of 7-Eleven's business.

Ha ha. I get to print that out and show it to her. She was so sure it started in Japan. It reminds me of when a Korean asked me if America had Subways.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.