FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sen. Orrin Hatch and the Dubai connection

Author Topic: Sen. Orrin Hatch and the Dubai connection
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Washington Post

quote:
Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah... helped secure the release of Atlanta R&B producer Dallas Austin from a Dubai jail after a drug conviction, the senator's office confirmed Saturday.
On the one hand, I don't really think personal recreational use of drugs by adults should be a crime -- certainly not one punishable by imprisonment.

On the other hand, Senator Hatch is a well-known figure in the US war on drugs and it seems a bit out of character for him to pull strings to get someone a pardon after a conviction on a drug offense.

The WP is making the case that it's got something to do with personal connections or a kind of "brotherhood of musicians" but I don't see anything to really back up either of those statements.

One wonders if the guy was in a US courtroom whether Hatch would've tried to do anything for him. And, if not, what's the deal with helping him out in Dubai?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
On the other hand, Senator Hatch is a well-known figure in the US war on drugs and it seems a bit out of character for him to pull strings to get someone a pardon after a conviction on a drug offense.

Seriously. I remember seeing this on the news a couple days ago, and my only reaction was "What the heck?" And I really dislike the idea of politicians (particularly my politicians) using their power to pull favors for people. Is Senator Hatch going to start springing everyone with a drug conviction out of jail, or only people who are somehow important to him?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
There are worse things to dislike Mr Hatch for.

I don't like the idea of Americans in foreign prisons. (except, you know, for real crimes)

I don't like the idea of people going to any jail for something they do to themselves.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
There are worse things to dislike Mr Hatch for.

Oh, certainly. It's just one more thing to dislike about him.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That photo of Hatch is disturbing, yet somehow appropriate.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
He's singing the Screwed Too Tight Blues.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.