FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Package deliveries during the day

Author Topic: Package deliveries during the day
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how many other people have a similar gripe to me on this front:

I order a fair amount of stuff from Amazon etc (movies books etc). however, recieving these packages is consistantly a problem. As a working adult I am not at home when UPS/Fedex/USPS tries to deliver packages. i.e. I will never be home to sign for things barring the odd weekday that I might take off for a doctor's visit etc...

additionally, within the last few weeks our UPS guy stopped leaving packages at doors within the apartment complex bacause of some thefts.

so this leaves me being frustrated as my packages are repeatedly returned on the truck and eventually stuck at the distribution center until I pick them up (which is about 20+ minutes away).

I'm curious of 2 things:
1) how many other people have this issue (and/or what percentage of packages go back on the truck because no one is home to sign at 1:30 on a tuesday.

2) if there has ever been a push for an evening delivery service. maybe it's just me, but I'd be willing to pay an extra buck for my pacakges to be delivered between 5 and 10 pm (or something like that) so I can actually get them...

/end rant

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you live in an apartment complex, can't you arrange to have the stuff left with the manager?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
When possibly, I try to have things delivered to me at work to avoid this issue. I know that's not an option for everyone. I live in a house, though, and for large packages I prefer they not be left sitting on my front stoop. I've left post-it notes on the door when I was expecting a package with the request that they be left on the back porch. Apparently the extra 30 foot walk is too much for most delivery people. So yes, there are cases where I would pay more for evening delivery.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
If you live in an apartment complex, can't you arrange to have the stuff left with the manager?

Bob, not every apartment building has this as an option. For example, I used to, but no longer do. (We no longer have an on-site manager.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good point. Plus I imagine some apartment managers would get pissy about it.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I would pay extra for evening delivery.

I try to have most shipments sent via USPS or DHL@Home. Our complex is pretty small, plus the mail carrier leaves the package right outside my apartment door, so there's not a theft issue here. If those options aren't available, then I have the FedEx/UPS package rerouted to my dad. I work with him, so he brings the packages to work for me. Occasionally he has driven me to the distribution center to retrieve a package.

It was a lot easier to retrieve missed packages when I had a car. I didn't have to rely on my dad (though neither of us minds), plus I could go retrieve them at the distribution center myself. I did take the bus to the center once, but I won't be doing that again. It's not fun waiting for the bus in the middle of an industrial park.

It gets really frustrating, sometimes. I hate having to jump through hoops to receive a package. If I'm ordering something online, it's likely for convenience reasons, and missed packages aren't very convenient.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
If you live in an area where FedEx First Overnight or UPS Next Day Air Early A.M. is available, let them make one missed delivery attempt. Then call them with the door tag number and ask them to deliver before 8 AM the next day. I did that several times in the days before I could get packages at work.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When possibly, I try to have things delivered to me at work to avoid this issue. I know that's not an option for everyone. I live in a house, though, and for large packages I prefer they not be left sitting on my front stoop. I've left post-it notes on the door when I was expecting a package with the request that they be left on the back porch. Apparently the extra 30 foot walk is too much for most delivery people. So yes, there are cases where I would pay more for evening delivery.
Maybe you could also tell them that there is an extra $5 tip waiting on the back door when they bring the package around. Of course, you run the risk that they'll go around and get it without bringing the package, but then they just REALLY suck.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood why UPS does not offer a delivery option of picking up pakages directly from the distribution center. Like a lot of people I track my packages (especially the ones from Amazon) and know when they are at the distribution center. Instead the delivery person has to make two trips to my house. First day: see that I'm not home and leave a note. Second Day: return to see my note on the door saying that I'll pick it up at the distribution center.
There must be some reason why they don't want to save the time and the effort to make so many useless trips.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have this problem because there is always someone home at my house...

... however, today I was tracking a much-needed package online at FedEx. I noticed it said it got to the local delivery warehouse yesterday, but is not scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow night.

So I call FedEx and am trying to ask the customer service guy (in various forms of trying to explain it) if I can just go to the local office and pick it up today, if they aren't going to deliver it until tomorrow afternoon, yet it says it is here at the local office.

He gives me all kinds of information about "holds" , etc. etc. and kinda totally confuses me ("I don't understand this "hold" of which you speak") and so finally I try one more time and just say "So is there a chance they will deliver it today then, instead of tomorrow? If they aren't going to deliver it until tomorrow, then I'd like to pick it up today"

and he says, "Well, we work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule, so they are delivering tomorrow because they aren't running today. Even if you go down there, they aren't open today."

Why didn't he just says that in the first 30 seconds of the conversation? That's all I needed to know!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I get things delivered to work. Working for computer companies tends to mean there is a relatively leniant policy, since so much gets delivered interms of computer parts, office supplies, promotional stuff, etc.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I had something delivered before I moved (my new complex has package delivery at the office) when UPS left the note with the delivery tracking info on it, you could go to the website and request re-delivery during the evening between 5-7 I think.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It's become a big pain for me too. The UPS driver has quit leaving packages at my front door. The annoying thing is there has never been a theft at my house. My front porch is not even visible from the street. But I suppose the driver must have had something stolen somewhere, and had become super cautions. (I can't really blame them, since they personally have to pay for the item if it's stolen.) I did find out while attempting to pick up my mp3 player at the distribution center (which is way across town for me too) that they lock up packages in a truck at night, and don't even leave them in their own warehouse. That gives me a bit of a clue who it is that is causing their big theft problems. If it's not safe in their locked warehouse at night, it's most likely because the employees are stealing it, I would think. That's pretty sad.

I work for a huge company now, so I don't really want to try to receive stuff at work. I am not sure my mailroom would want to sign for it, if it didn't have a company P.O. number on it, for one thing, and for another thing I'm not even sure I know where the mailroom is. It might well be lost forever in the bowels of my corporate office complex.

I've been getting them to send stuff to my mother, who is usually home during the day. I do wish UPS would come up with a better option.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Mig, if the sender sets up the package to be held at the distribution center, then yes it can be done. I think that they still send a courier out with a tag to let you know that the package has arrived, though, so it wouldn't entirely eliminate their having to make trips.

And I'm another one who is able to receive packages at work without issue, so I just have everything routed there. In fact, the bosses often come to see what I've received [Smile]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
You should get a PO box (or box at some place like mailboxes etc./UPS store--open longer in evenings than Post Office). You can get the smallest size they have, maybe $45 a year (or is that for six months?). They'll hold all your packages and there will always be somebody to sign for them.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It has to be a commercial box like at mailboxes etc. FedeEx and UPS won't deliver to USPS P.O. boxes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.