FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack and World of Warcraft (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack and World of Warcraft
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a mage named Ragert (I think [Blushing] ) and got him to lvl 3 this morning. I'll log on with him when I get him home and hook up with you then.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl you didn't like the other server cuz you missed us =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yeah. In fact the only reason I have characters on other servers is so I have something to do when I want to play and Venture Co. is down.

I think I'm going to make Ragert a skinner/tailor. I do skinner/leather, but he can't wear leather so it wouldn't be very useful for himself.

Does anyone here do any fishing or cooking at all? Neredor needs some specific fish for certainl potions, and I've seen where you can get them, but I've neglected his fishing and now he can't fish in the areas where he quests. I've got his skill up to 50 by fishing in Orgrimmar and the Under City, but that's still not high enough to fish around Splintertree. And none of my characters have ever cooked anything. Is there a reason to? I'm usually selling food because I don't want to take up so many slots holding all the food that drops.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Does anyone here do any fishing or cooking at all? Neredor needs some specific fish for certainl potions, and I've seen where you can get them, but I've neglected his fishing and now he can't fish in the areas where he quests. I've got his skill up to 50 by fishing in Orgrimmar and the Under City, but that's still not high enough to fish around Splintertree. And none of my characters have ever cooked anything. Is there a reason to? I'm usually selling food because I don't want to take up so many slots holding all the food that drops.

Cooking is cheaper than buying food, and a lot of cooked foods give stat buffs when consumed. It's great for hunters, who often need specific kinds of foods to feed their pets.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
I've got his skill up to 50 by fishing in Orgrimmar and the Under City, but that's still not high enough to fish around Splintertree.[/QB]

Psst, are you using baubles? A bright bauble would bring your fishing up to 100 or so, and that should sufficient for Ashenvale I would think.

Also, cooking gives some nice 15m buffs to spirit and stamina if you don't happen to have a pocket priest lying around for the fortitude buff. Once you get into the 200s with fishing and cooking, there are some even better advantages. Also, cooked foods do stack to 20, so they don't take up too much space if you just keep one or two stacks around and just sell / barter / give away the rest.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Hmm, I'll try the bauble thing. So do you all cook and fish then? What level are you up to in those skills? (Also if you get any blackmouth or fire-something fish, mail 'em to me. I can use them in potions.)

Does anyone need something I can mail to them for their profession? Pix, what type of cloth are you collecting these days? Is anyone collecting for the "war effort"?

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not on the Ventrue Co. server yet, as I'm still babysitting my fledgling guild more often than not when I log on (on Lightning's Blade).

I have one character that I've levelled fishing and cooking one. Fishing up to 250 for Stonescale Eels (quest item, and alchemy staple) and Nightfin Snappers, which give a nice mana regeneration bonus when cooked. I stockpiled all the fish I caught, and managed to level up my cooking from 0-300 in a single day (someone bet me I couldn't do it without using the Auction House. They lost.)

If you're horde, you can always catch and sell Deviate Fish from the barrens. Even better if you happen to get the recipe for Savory Deviate Delight.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried cooking/fishing.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to get a Winter Squid, but they're seasonal. I only reached the appropriate fishing level (250+) once Summer came around and they were all replaced with Summer Bass.

Winter Squid give +3 to Agility, if I remember, when they're cooked. Would have loved to have that on either my hunter or rogue.

Higher level cooking is very useful. Fishing and cooking at the same time is an easy way to get your cooking to higher levels very quickly. If you start early enough, you can get to Thunder Bluff and get the low low level fish recipes, then just fish/cook until you can't level either anymore.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone needs to be doing cooking. It's far too useful later on. The food you make heals you and gives you stat bonuses. Fishing is a good way to raise your cooking on the cheap, but most cooked fish gives no stat bonuses (but is great for feeding your cat)

...I need to pick up fishing.. but it's so boring...

Karl: I'm collecting wool and silk. I'm not far from making silk bags.

Mail me the parts of course, and I'll make it for you. (Though my mailbox is kinda full with stuff mailed from pernicia so be sure to tell me in guild spam that you did it.)

I've also decided to go Leatherworking in order to make me even poorer, but I haven't surrendered skinning yet. (My hunter can skin enough to grind on.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking and Fishing just seem like huge time sinks to me. I dont know if I can handle them.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Cooking is no slower than any other trade skill... fishing on the oth*yawn*er hand...
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking is only a very mild time sink as far as trade skills are concerned. With a brief stop at just one more vendor in settlements you can have the materials you need to actually use all the various meats you loot from animal kills, food which is an alternative or a supplement to bandaging for example. It goes to reduce downtime for one thing, and that's aside from the appreciable stat bonuses at higher levels.

And if you're a hunter, it's very nice because since you'll be killing animals frequently to find better foods for your pet anyway, you can cook it and keep them happier for longer with the same piece of meat, and heal them more quickly as well.

Fishing, though, is boring as hell despite being fun sometimes such as with Deviate fish.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Cooking is no slower than any other trade skill... fishing on the oth*yawn*er hand...

This is very true... in fact, the only things that made fishing bareable on my druid were 1) Guild Chat and 2) hibernating every lowbie druid that tried to run past in cheetah form.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Fishing is fine if you're level X9 and waiting ona battle ground... if you can't find anything better to do...
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

You... you have to wait on battlegrounds? What a novel thought.

Prior to the Cross-Realm battlegrounds, the longest I had to wait for, say, and AV was about 75 seconds. And that was just after a game ended and they were all queuing up for the next one. Since they put 1.12 in, I've heard that queues remain instant, or near instant. Haven't seen this for myself yet though.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I only got in one BG yesterday in about 3 hrs. Granted it was the lvl 2X BGs
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

The only experience I ever had with Battlegrounds was on a PvP server, actually. Pix, were you on a PvE server? That could potentially explain it.

Heheh, just imagine you're signed up solo for a Cross-Realm BG and you get on a team with a buncha PvE server people. You could kill like a king!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

If you're Alliance, battlegrounds can take a lifetime because of so many people in queue. For Horde, wait times are far lower because of lower population. At least on most servers.

As for fishing, it used to be far cooler, because you could actually catch green items from time to time. Now they've eliminated that, making fishing as boring as grinding for any other materials in the game.

Still, there are fishing quests at higher skill levels, and wortwhile fish like Winter Squid. At earlier levels, alchemists need to fish for Oily Blackmouth and Firefin Snapper, and fish are components at higher levels for other professions.

It is boring, though. Normally I did it while waiting for people to log on or complete prereq quests before doing an instance or something.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize if someone's already asked this, but I didn't want to go through all 7 pages of this thread. Does anyone still play on Frostwolf?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

rakeesh: I haven't played my carebear server character in a month. I went into a BG with my Venture Company server character
KarlEd
Member # 571

Squish, I don't think anyone posting here is on Frostwolf. I haven't seen it mentioned in 7 pages, anyway.

Regarding fishing, I think I found the secret. I loathed fishing, for all the reasons listed above, with all my other characters, but I never started fishing until I was already in areas where the skill level was too high and I either couldn't fish at all, or 5 times out of 7 my fish got away. With my new character, though, I started fishing as soon as I could find a trainer, and I used a bauble right away. I caught a fish 7 or 8 times out of ten casts, and by the time my bauble ran out, I was catching at about the same rate without one. I think the trick is to over-level in the easy waters to get a leg up on the harder ones. I was at 62-63 fishing skill before I logged last night.

I also got cooking, but the only thing I can cook is "Charred Demondog", which just uses dog meat and fire. I have a recipe for eggs that need spices, but I have no idea where you find eggs. I've never seen them except as a side quest (like raptor eggs, for example) and certainly haven't run across any around the Undercity.

I'm liking skinning. It's a lot easier to grind than herb-gathering, and I can sell the stuff or send it to Kahruk. I took tailoring just because my mage can't wear leather, and I thought it would be good to have a profession where I could actually use the product. [Wink]

Personally, I like the professions, even when I'm grinding. CoH didn't have anything like that and it's a welcome break from "kill things and move on to where you kill more things".

KarlEd
Member # 571

So what's the deal with the battlegrounds? Where do you enter, and at what level? Also, any tips for a newbie? I've never done any PVP except getting ganked in Hillsbrad and the one semi-accidental HK I got a couple of days ago, but I'm looking to start.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

You have to kill birds to get eggs - normally a specific type of bird. Most recipes need a specific type of mob to make them work - or a specific group of mobs.

You're totally right about fishing early rather than later, though. My Tauren character's fishing/cooking was crazy high before he ever left Mulgore. I got the brilliant smallfish, longjaw mud snapper, and bristlewhisker catfish recipes at the cooking vendor in Thunder Bluff, then fished and cooked until I was at nearly 100 in both.

When I then needed to fish for Oily Blackmouth and Firefin Snapper at Ratchet for my alchemy potions, I had no problems.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

KarlEd, Battlegrounds are competitions teams of opposed-faction players engage in on a maps ranging from, oh, capital-city sized to entire region size as an estimate. You meet with an NPC outside your faction's entrace to queue up for the Battleground, either individually or as part of a grouup. The opposing teams are arranged in 10-level groups, 20-29, 30-39, etc. (I may have misremembered the numbers, but it's a ten-level range). The highest level battleground has a seperate section for L60 players, designed to make the 50-59 range more competitive.

There are currently three Battlegrounds for a player to choose from. The first is called Warsong Gulch, which can be found in southern Ashenvale for Alliance and northern Barrens for the Horde. It's basically a capture-the-flag scenario. Alliance and Horde face off against each other from a small compound on either side of the map (for the Alliance, it's a Night Elf style lodge and for the Horde it's an Orc style logging camp). First team to three captures wins. Usually it runs pretty quickly, but sometimes a stalemate can drag on because it's quite a hike from one base to the other.

The second is called the Arathi Basin, cunningly hidden in the Arathi Highlands. It's a real-estate capture-and-hold scenario. Seperated by land and bodies of water are a series of buildings: a stables, a blacksmith, a lumber mill, a mine, things of that sort. Each one has a flag that must be right-clicked on and held for several seconds to capture that resource-gathering area. As long as you hold a position, it accrues resources for you. First one to the top score, 2,000 points I think, wins. There is zero chance of stalemate in this case, obviously. Teams of up to 15 each.

The last Battleground is called Alterac Valley, and it's 51-60 only. It's very big and pretty complex, but basically consists of each faction trying to invade, destroy, capture and finally conquer the enemy's territory, done by destroying towers and killing some tough NPCs and their guards.

I still remember a lot about em, because I thought they were freakin' awesome:) But then, PvP was just about my favorite thing in the game anyway. Each Battleground has its own faction and quests (ranging from one or two in WG and AB, to like a dozen in AV), and completing them gains you reputation just like any other faction. This grants you access to some pretty decent gear, even blue and purple that you can purchase from NPCs there outright.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We should all setup a time to hit warsong gultch and play a few rounds [Smile]

Who would be down with that? You just have to make lvl 20 (but preferably alittle higher) before we go. We can premptively setup strategy based on classes that show up.

We've all read Enders Game, we have a leg up on everyone, we at least know where the enemie's gate is.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I invited my hubby (who is not a Hatracker) to the guild. He's a shaman named Emothe. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I'm pretty decent at the battlgrounds. I was in the top 80 on sen'jin before I hit 60 (then I instantly got bored, stopped BGing and moved to Venture Company.)

It's best to go in on the 9s... that is level 19, 29, 39, 49... You'll be the biggest thing there. (Of course, it's really really really good to practice even before you get to the X9s)

Upgrade your equipment, (especially your bows, hunters) as best as you can. PVP is all about burst damage so try to get the most of your primary damage stat you can. Stamina is of equal importance. They'll be doing burst damage to you so you need the stamina to get your hitpoints up.

We can join BGs as a group. Our wait may be a little longer but we can do it. I'm up for this when you guys are.

Pix

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Othermegan: It's great to have him =)
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

When I played, BGs were 21-30, 31-40, 41-50... instead of 20-29, 30-39 etc. Oh the fun I had camping my own flag as a 40 rogue in Warsong Gulch against 31's trying to take it.

:evil laugh:

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Actually my favorite part was to camp their flag, and depending on the layout preemptively sap enemies for a druid or maybe a different rogue to swipe it...or to grab it after the first attempt failed, but left the enemy in injured disarray.

Sprint, Preparation, Sprint, Rocket Boots and if I'm lucky, speed booster in the enemy base [Smile]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I alternated between offense and defense. While I liked camping their flagroom as a setup for a runner, or to grab and Sprint as soon as they killed our first runner, I think I prefered defense.

Sitting stealthed on the flag with slowing poison on one blade and damage poison on the other... sap whoever grabs the flag, go to town on him and laugh as he tried to creep toward an exit before dying.

I had one idiot 35 pally try five times in a row to solo the flag. None of us could stop laughing... I mean, what as he thinking on his run back from his third rez? "Maybe *this* time there won't be a stealthed rogue on the flag..." [Roll Eyes]

Alliance is stupid.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

I loved dropping "The Big One" (10 yard radius, 5 second stun, unlimited targets) bombs onto the flag from above, jumping down, grabbing the flag, shifting into cat, and running like crazy. Over all I didn't enjoy WSG as much as AV, but when moments when that worked, it made the game almost worthwhile. Also, before 1.12, Abolish Poison was a wonderful, wonderful thing. Don't know about now...
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
I alternated between offense and defense. While I liked camping their flagroom as a setup for a runner, or to grab and Sprint as soon as they killed our first runner, I think I prefered defense.

Sitting stealthed on the flag with slowing poison on one blade and damage poison on the other... sap whoever grabs the flag, go to town on him and laugh as he tried to creep toward an exit before dying.

I had one idiot 35 pally try five times in a row to solo the flag. None of us could stop laughing... I mean, what as he thinking on his run back from his third rez? "Maybe *this* time there won't be a stealthed rogue on the flag..." [Roll Eyes]

Alliance is stupid.

I can't count how many times I ice trapped our flag and the same solo horde flag runners would run straight into it.

Horde is stupid. [Big Grin]

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by Demonstrocity:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

Alliance is stupid.

I can't count how many times I ice trapped our flag and the same solo horde flag runners would run straight into it.

Horde is stupid. [Big Grin]

True that! I mean... Zugzug!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well speaking as a person who got a Paladin to L60 on a PvP server...the learning curve for Paladins is essentially a straight line [Wink]

I can't tell you how often people asked me what I was doing when I was putting up Detect Traps with my Rogue. 95%< of the time, it was 'wasted'.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:

Horde is stupid.

I've disarmed my fair share of flag ice traps in WSG, and sapped the Hunter for his troubles. I particularly liked having his pet chase me out of bowshot, then killing the pet to make him rez it.

I'm curious what server you were on, too. On Bronzebeard, I only ever lost twice in WSG with the Horde in the 31-40 bracket - out of at least 60 or 70 tries. I'd venture to say about half of them were 3-0 sweeps, too. Our record was just over 9 min for 3 flag caps and the win.

Of course, this was just after BGs opened. The Alliance was used to zerging the hell out of Tarren Mill with a 4 to 1 advantage or better, and the Horde was used to fighting shorthanded. Once it was 10 v. 10, we handed them their butts almost invariably.

I'm sure that's balanced out a lot more by now.

KarlEd
Member # 571

So has anyone done any of the cross-server battle-ground stuff? How is it different (other than being cross server?)
KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, and from what I can see, The Alliance still usually pwns Terren Mill. I'm trying to do my little lvl 20-26 missions and keep getting ganked by (??)s. I think we need to get all our characters to 60 and then camp out at Terren Mill and drop some payback on the little squirts.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I once got 15 caps in a row (that's 5 hat-tricks) in 5 shut out BGs.

I didn't get many HKs though. I felt like a FedEx driver... a Gloating FedEx driver...

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Oh, and from what I can see, The Alliance still usually pwns Tarren Mill
Well, when you outnumber your opponent by 2 to 1 at almost all times, it's not that hard to beat up on a town with no wall that can be easily approached from all sides.

At least with the Crossroads, there are walls, specific entry points, and a flight path to a capital city that actually has some players in it.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Where was everyone this weekend? I was on an embarrasingly large number of hours this weekend and only saw a few Hatrackers.

Actually players in general were pretty sparse around the Undercity and Terran Mill this weekend. Was there some major RL event going on of which I am unaware?

Anyway, I got Ragert to 20, finally. I'm out of town this weekend so if you do any raids, think of me. [Wink] (Actually I'll be back Sunday evening, so if anyone's up for something then, count me in. [Smile]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I spent much of the weekend getting ready for classes (and attending meetings). I know Jim was on a bunch, though. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Yeah, I got discourged at the dirth of <Dragon Army> on this weekend too. Where were you guys?
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

I was there!

As evidenced by my hunter going from level 16 to 23 O_O.

Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Football game and a wedding. Got my Wingblade yesterday though. [Smile]
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

A shame we're all horde (and likely not in the same battlegroup), it'd be a blast having a <Salamander Army> vs. <Dragon Army> match in the BGs.
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out of town; I go into it at length so all the WoW related stuff is in the last paragraph. For those interested in other stuff read on.

Utah Shakespearean Festival.

Hamlet, Marry Wives, Anthony & Clopatra.

Merry Wives is like most of Williams comedies. Baudy and Hillarious. You come away happy, and with a mild belly work out.

Although it was not a willywigglestick play, HMS Pinafore was also playing. Pinafore was typical bread and butter Gilbert and Sullivan.
<calaban wistles as he nonchalantly removes any incriminating evidence>
Witty with mix ups and shenanigans. And as always they never let relative ages get in the way of thier plot twists.

Hamlet was spectacular. Brian Vaugn is a regular at the Utah festival and is always very powerful. All were well cast except for the userper uncle. He was the same fellow that played Mark Anthony, and showed little deviation in the portrayal of his characters.

Anthony&Cleo. Admitedly it's not one of my favorites, but as I mentioned above Mark Anthony was empty, preventing me from developing any empathy for him. Even worse, the actress who played Cleopatra had an extremely annoying 'hip' every time she inhaled between lines. Although it doesn't seem Shakespeare wrote Cleopatra very sympathetically, you are supposed to care for her. However, between the 'hip' and always sounding like she was reading from a script rather than delivering lines in character, I was cheering for Octavious by the end.

In other news I was spending some time leveling my nelfunter on Kil'jaeden, I snagged a beastalkers belt to compliment my gloves and bracers, and also won the savage gladiators greaves in BRD.

[ August 29, 2006, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: calaban ]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I REALLY wanted to do something saturday but I had errands all day to run with the Wife. Ill do my best to be on sometime during the week, and for sure on saturday morning!

Demonstrocity: I too was famouse for putting my kitty on prowl, placing a freezing trap in front of the flag and shadowmelding on the other side of the room. Killes SO many would be flag carriers as they rushed towards the flag and into the trap.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Ah, you were a NE Hunter. Blegh. Night Elves are the worst of the alliance. They don't even make good hamburger - the meat is just stringy and tasteless. At least gnomes have good snack value, if nothing else.
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.