FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I miss the Reading Out Loud Club...anyone want to try it again?

Author Topic: I miss the Reading Out Loud Club...anyone want to try it again?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lot of fun with the reading out loud club we had here at Hatrack, but it tapered off. To be honest I was fine with it tapering off as I had a ton of things to do and no real time to listen anymore.

For those of you who weren't in on it last time it was exactally what the title suggests, a group of Hatrackers reading things out loud to each other. Some of the things were original poetry, or stories, and some were just our favorite stories....pretty much anything was open for interpetation.

We found a free sound program, Audacity, for those who needed one, and it works great. All that was required was an open mind and respect towards others, as some of us were sharing some personal stuff, and a microphone if you wanted to record anything yourself.

I think I can make a web site to hold the content this time around, but I am not sure. I will look into it, but I vaugely remember something about having the ability to do that with my broadband connection. If not we can always use the email system we built last time around.

Anyone up for it this time around? [Big Grin]

I miss my niece, Logan, something fierce down here in FL, and I think I might do a series of children's books, then send her a copy of them. I really, really like that idea. [Big Grin] I call dibs on "Where the Wild Things Are", as I know she has two copies of it....I bought her one of them [Big Grin]

I even have a small idea for an original story, but I need to flesh it out a bit before recording.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at my yahoo stuff recently and noticed that group again...yeah, I miss it too.

If anyone lost the link to the group or wants to join, it's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jatraqueros/ and I'm the owner. There are several moderators that can approve new members. If you send a request, include your member name here so we'll know it's a legit request. [Smile]

Available titles are listed under the database section with either a link or the email address of the person who recorded it so you can request the file.

Alternatively, I can delete the group or turn it over to someone with more time (and webspace) to devote to it. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't care, IIRC I was at one time someone who can approve new members. [Big Grin]

I will really look into the web site thing, I think the cumbersome email process was when it started to die. [Big Grin] It's better than nothing, though.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

True enough. Web downloads combined with email notification when new files are available would be the bomb. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep...there are enough free sites out there now that we should be able to work something out, I think, even if Road Runner doesn't offer me a home page...which it does.

Now, setting it up will be fun. [Frown]

Boon
unregistered

maybe a PBWiki would be a good option?

Like this, which anyone with the password can edit and change? It would save any one of us from all the work. Just an idea.

[ July 13, 2006, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Boon ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Hmmmm...how much uploadable space is on MySpace? [Big Grin]
Boon
unregistered

Looks like PBwiki, while easy to use, only has 10MB available file space. [Frown]
Kwea
Member # 2199

MySpace isn't an option either, it just uses a link to your web site where you are hosting it.

Hmm....

Boon
unregistered

I've found plenty of free hosting sites, up to 500mb, but they delete your file after 2 weeks. Don't want that. Hmmm.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I found one that doesn't, at least they don't say they do.....250 meg, up to 50 meg at a time.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Here . I am testing it, so we can reserve the names ReadingOutLoud I and II, and have all we need. Turns out it is a 10MB browser upload limit, but if you use FTP there is no size limit to uploads at all.

Cool, huh? [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Only drawback is that he limits mp3's, so I sent him an email explaining what we want to do, asking if it would be ok.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Try this, it seems perfect.

I posted a sonnet I had saved, and a clip of Jenni and her mom singing a round. Please don't be too critical as her mom hasn't sung in years, and they were both using the same little computer mic. [Big Grin]

Off to bed, I have a job interview tomorrow. [Big Grin]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to participate again!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Cool!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How funny. Anna and I were just talking about this yesterday. [Smile] Must be something in the air.

I'd love to do it, too, but I'll need to find time again. I'd really like to finish up Small Gods.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, if you want the page to look a little nicer you can create an index.html page and that will be the site that people see when they click that link. This page can have links to all the files and have some formatting done. It looks like when you do this there is no advertising shown either.

Also, if you want to get past the mp3 restriction you could zip the files. That way the files will have to be downloaded (not streamed). Streaming is often why sites like this don't want mp3s (other than the potential copyright issues).

I don't think I ever got around to adding anything to the club last time around but I was checking it out regularly.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Icarus just offered to host something if the other site doesn't work out as well. [Big Grin]

I like the idea of using zip files, and saving bandwidth. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in! I loved listening to everyone's stuff! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I haven't had time to do any of this, but I am unpacking the rest of my books tomorrow. I will probably try to work on the web site as well.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. If it involves reading children's books, I do a pretty good Mickey Mouse impression (that at least one person on Hatrack can attest to) that most little kids seem to get a kick out of (okay, they're all my second cousins, but they're still kids).

Either way, it sounds interesting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Very cool. Once I get it all up and running I will let you know.

Also, I was thinking...we will run out of space pretty quick if we all use one site, but if we ALL got our OWN space at that site we could just link to it once we uploaded new content.....

If Icky wants to participate I think I will talk to him about using his site to host, providing we won't cost him any money to do so. He offered, so I don't think it will be a problem. [Wink]

Anna
Member # 2582

I already thought about that Kwea and created my own account (username annafrenc)
It's pretty empty right now (only 1 file) but I'll try to take the time to make a new record this week or this week-end.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be down to do something like this as well, if I have the time for it.

I'd like to read the Pablo Neruda Collection I just bought (practice my spanish). I would also love if anyone would want to read some spanish books (don't have to).

Another idea is some Shakespeare, or a collection of short sci-fi stories? Also greek philosophy I wouldn't mind doing!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Looks like the website lost my file...?
Is everything OK with your account Kwea?

Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

I recorded "Westwoods" by Eleanor Farjeon last night. I've really fallen in love with her stuff recently. If you are not familiar with her, she wrote literary fairy tales, like Hans Christian Anderson only happier.

I'm not quite sure how this is supposed to work, so I set up my own account on the site Kwea linked to. Here it is. If I misunderstood and we are going to have them all on the same site, let me know.

Warning: it's kind of long . . . almost 40 min.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anna, you have to log on to see your files, for some reason. Looks like mine are still there.

Amilia, that is fine for now. We may even go in that direction, although I would like to compile a master list/storage space for them all if possible (and everyone agrees).

What format did you save that file as? MP3?

Amilia
Member # 8912

OGG. I had trouble figuring out how to make the program that would convert my file to MP3 work.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I did log in, and there was a message there saying they had lost my file.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Are you using Audacity? If so converting it is easy.

I tried to download your file but something was messed up with my connection so I will have to try it again. I wasn't about to wait for over an hour, that's why I got broadband! [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, here are the files I have uploaded so far, from my old ROLC files saved on my computer. It isn't a full list, and I hope to reorganize it at some point, but it will do until we decide what we are doing long term.

Here is a linky to the uploaded files so far, at least from my end.

Some of them are mine, some are JenniK, and a few others are files sent to me by other members in the past.

[ July 18, 2006, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

More files posted in the Reading Out Loud folder as of tonight.
Amilia
Member # 8912

quote:
Are you using Audacity? If so converting it is easy.

I tried to download your file but something was messed up with my connection so I will have to try it again. I wasn't about to wait for over an hour, that's why I got broadband!

I am using Audacity, but when I tried to convert to mp3, it said I needed lame_enc.dll. So I downloaded that, but I could not open it. The unzip software they recommended was $20. When I asked my brother for a good free unzip software, he suggested I just convert to Ogg, as it is the same sort of idea as MP3, except open source. As Audacity was willing to convert to Ogg without making me jump through hoops, that is what I did.

I'm sorry it did not work out so well. I think the trouble is on my end, not yours. My brother said it took him forever to download as well.

I'll play around with it, and figure out how to get it into an MP3, but it probably won't be until the weekend that I have time.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Use WinRaR, it is a free program (at least free to try) to unzip things.

It works on rar files AND zip files.

Here is one place to get it.

Amilia
Member # 8912

Thanks to your help, I have finally figured out how to convert my story to mp3. Now the trouble is . . . the site seems to be out of order. I'll try it again in the morning, see if it is up and running again.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am hiving dinner with Icarus and his family, so I will talk to him about getting some web space, perhaps.

Let me know when you get it up and running. [Big Grin]

Amilia
Member # 8912

Argh! I couldn't get the mp3 file to upload. I kept getting a message that said "nix > proceed." I thought that maybe the file was too big. So I split it in half and tried to upload in two chunks. It looks like it worked, but when I try and play it, it doesn't get any further than "Westwoods, by Eleanor Farjeon."

I'll play with it again later.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to try doing a little reading. I'll post more when I've done it.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It would be good to hear from you Mike...both vocally and here at Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Welcome back! Where are you now? I remember you trying to move somewhere, IIRC....did you?

n/a
Member # 9606

- posted      Profile for n/a   Email n/a         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new, what's up everybody?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountaineer48
Member # 9608

- posted      Profile for mountaineer48   Email mountaineer48         Edit/Delete Post 
What's up kwea :-)
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Welcome back? I've always been here. You must remember that I am a lurker by nature, and I only poke my head out for special occasions.

I am in San Francisco, and will have been here exactly a year this coming Sunday. So I guess I... did.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by mountaineer48:
What's up kwea :-)

Hi. [Wink]

Mike
Member # 55

OK, my first attempt, a short one: The Mewlips. You will need a username (hatrack) and password (beauty_of_it) to access the file. And it might be a little quiet. Blame my puny laptop mic.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Mike, I just looked up this thread and I listened to your recording tonight. It was great!

I think I will probably record some things soon now that I am more comfortable here in Ocala.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.