FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet peeve: Jive vs. Jibe

Author Topic: Pet peeve: Jive vs. Jibe
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never see people using the word "jibe" any more.
quote:
jibe
intr.v. Informal jibed, jib·ing, jibes
To be in accord; agree: Your figures jibe with mine.

Instead, they use the word "jive", which, while it sounds similar, doesn't mean remotely the same thing.
quote:
jive
n.
1.a. Jazz or swing music.
b. The jargon of jazz musicians and enthusiasts.
2. Slang. Deceptive, nonsensical, or glib talk: "the sexist, locker-room jive of men boasting and bonding" (Trip Gabriel).

v. jived, jiv·ing, jives
v. intr.

1. To play or dance to jive music.
2. Slang.
a. To talk nonsense; kid.
b. To talk or chat: "You just jive in one big group, putting each other on, trying to top the last line" (Time).

v. tr. Slang
To cajole or mislead.

adj. Slang
Misleading; phony.

So please, don't say that one account doesn't jive with another account. It makes my brain itch.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I didn't know that jive wasn't the correct word in that context. Good to know.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. I half to keep that in mine. I should of known.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::squints::

Lisa, I don't much like the cut of your jiv.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why don't you just except it? Your just unable to get over it when people don't follow the tenants of speaking good?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
THE GRAMMAR! IT BURNS! *hisses*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::sacrifices Steve on the Alter of Grammer and Spelling::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out! :-D
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What am I supposed to do now? Being sacrificed and all...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Don't worry. Virtual fire doesn't really effect anything anyway.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You're virtually fired!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I feel simply retched now. [Frown]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I am so board here at work. I am literally climbing the wall's with boredom as I sit here at my desk.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Me to.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Edit-I started to add something else, but I decided that it was a mute point, so I deleted it.]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa, your experience totally jives with mine.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I knew that jive meant "to play or dance to jive music." I just assumed that when ideas started to jive (To be in accord; agree) that meant that they were both hearing the same music and dancing to the same beat. Had no idea that I was actually combining two completely different words.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop it Icarus!! Its terrible- you're mistakes make those with prefect grammar want to claw there eyes out.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
::sacrifices Steve on the Alter of Grammer and Spelling::

[ROFL]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes my eyes cross and my brain hurt.

I hope your awl very happy.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
This thread makes my eyes cross and my brain hurt.

I always thought you were suppose two dot you're eyes and cross you're tees.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Supposably you are, but I dont think any body really does that. Mabye some people do I guess, you never know.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think either way is allright.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My four-grade edjamucashun learner learnded me to talk GOOD American.

I never confuses jive with jibe.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, irregardless of all these grammer issues, I find that the end result is a perfectly cognizable conversation. But Ill still alter my future plans to utilize this new grammercalogical discovery.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Davidson's rule run amuck!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, god, I'm going to loose my mind!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Their their. [Smile]

Just lay down . . . it will all feel better in the morning.

Alien Touring
Member # 9568

- posted      Profile for Alien Touring   Email Alien Touring         Edit/Delete Post 
Its ok -- were all in this together!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to quit Hatrack now.

*cries*

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading something back in the 70's that said "their stories didn't jive."

Yet it's not even in m-w.com.

Hm. I'm so used to "jive" with this meaning I hate to give it up. I wonder how many think "jibe" *doesn't* have this meaning -- as I did till just now?

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Ooh. I half to keep that in mine. I should of known.

Ouch.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed this trend as well. To the point that I hesitate to use jibe because I'm afraid others will think it's wrong!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
I remember reading something back in the 70's that said "their stories didn't jive."

Yet it's not even in m-w.com.

I think that dictionaries might be slower to accept new definitions that are based on errors.
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
The OED says about jive, v.
quote:
1. a. trans. To mislead, to deceive, to ‘kid’; to taunt or sneer at. Also intr., to talk jive, to talk nonsense, to act foolishly.
b. intr. To make sense; to fit in. U.S. Cf. JIBE v.

And in some languages V and B are interchangeable (just a random note).
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, "jibe" also means to steer a sailboat from one tack to another with the wind astern, so the sail snaps from one side to the other rather violently.

Like Jack did to Will.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
And in some languages V and B are interchangeable (just a random note).

But not in English, where they're never interchangeable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.