FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Raw milk, kefir, and butter churnin'... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Raw milk, kefir, and butter churnin'...
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
not all ferments turn to alochol. The good thing about an alcohol ferment is that it will keep a longer time without needing salt. Folks in mongolia have little access to salt.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
He wouldn't drink much of it, he didn't like the taste. I think that was in part because I put too much stevia in it in my effort to sweeten it for him (too much stevia tastes weird/bitter.) I told him to drink as much as he could stomach.

I would be cautious in your use of stevia. I know that the stevia people claim it's safe, but there have been some questions about it. I read about it in a nutrition newsletter which I've been subscribed to for about 15 years now - they back up all their statements with research as to what's known and not known about a food additive.

Here's one link - when I searched for it, I noticed that the pro-stevia links seem to be protesting this information quite a bit.

Scroll down for the info on stevia, the list is alphabetical by food additive:

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, I have heard of those stevia studies as well. I find it interesting that that site gave stevia a red "X" ("all should avoid" symbol) and splenda a green check ("OK" symbol.) So many people are of the opposite opinion!

I wonder how much stevia was used in those experiments? So little is needed to sweeten, it can be dispensed well with a salt shaker.

I "shuffle" my sweetners (including ordinary sugar, honey, etc.) in the hopes that I won't get too much of any one. I don't know if it helps or not. It seems that no matter what sweetner I use, I have people warning me it is unhealthy. Sadly, I continue to have a sweet tooth.

Steven, the cows and goats at this dairy are pasture-fed, but I guess they still need hay to make it through the winter months. The nutrition of the milk, therefore, varies greatly depending on the time of year. Already, I've noticed that the butter I am making now is much less yellow than a month ago. The summer heat has slowed the growth and vitality of the grass. I expect to see it get much more yellow as fall comes and cools things down, and then fade again as winter falls.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I found it compelling that both Canada and Europe had rejected it as an acceptable sweetener, not just the FDA. The CSPI does say the sweetener is probably ok in small amounts.

Keep in mind that all of their studies are backed up by research, not opinion. I believe in being an informed consumer.

Personally, I use very few sweeteners of any kind.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Personally, I use very few sweeteners of any kind.
Admittedly, this is the better way to go. [Smile] Maybe someday I will be at that point.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be pretty addicted, on and off, to raw honey, raw sweet fruit, etc.. I found that switching over to virgin Coconut oil, raw dairy, shellfish, fatty fish, (salmon, etc.), fish eggs, and other very high quality fats cured me of that. I used to get really weird after fruit or honey sometimes. Good quality fats, especially animal fats, really even you out.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I need to get back to eating sardines again....

I haven't been watching my omega 3s as dilligently as I used to.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Bev was always destined to be crunchy. [Cool]

Today I found myself musing that I could probably felt my dog's hair. Perhaps I should make kefir instead.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
SO, there is a local artist who needlefelts that asked for a bag of my dog's hair. It was ammusing.

(I just bought needle felting needles, but have only used it on yarn, not roving).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Big Grin]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfermented horse milk is kind of sweet. Not that I know this from personal experience. And certainly not because a friend and I had a contest to see who could drink more of it. ::shifty eyes::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Btw, bev, I was raised on raw, unhomogenized milk. My mom had it delivered to the house, back in the old days, when people had a "milk man." [Smile]

My mom thought raw milk was better for us.

Apparently, she tried to feed us brown rice when we were kids, too, but we didn't like it. Which is pretty funny, because it's all we eat now.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We can't get brown rice here. [Frown]

Red rice, now... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, I sent you an email... [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Hmmm, I am not seeing the email. [Frown] Did you send it do the email address in my profile? (Though, I'm not seeing it in the other one I normally use either.)

Quid, is your Sri Lankan rice fragrant? Mmmmm... fragrant rice....

Ela, I don't think any of my family members would complain if I switched them back to store-bought milk. I'm the only one in the family who has strong feelings about it. Well, I guess my son has strong feelings when a blob of cream falls onto his breakfast cereal. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I sent it to the one in your profile. Should I try another email instead?

We can get fragrant rice here, but of course it costs more. I like red rice because it's pink when cooked. [Smile] Well, and it's healthy(er), which is a bonus. Basmati is my favorite of the fragrant rices, but that tends to be a special occasions rice.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, I tried my kefir with protein powder and cinnimon and nutmeg, and it was really good. I didn't add any sweetener, and it didn't really need it. Since then I've just been sprinkling a little cinnimon on top, and I really like it that way.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Quid--I found your email. Gmail stuck it in my spam file! [Grumble]

ElJay: I have been slowly weaning myself off of the stevia. It's that darned sweet tooth of mine. [Razz] I am hoping to also eventually get to the point where I don't require sweetner on my grapefruit.

When I was a kid, my mom would make home-made yogurt. I had a hard time eating it because it was so tart. I mixed sinful amounts of strawberry jam in and a bit of coolwhip! I may have been outweighing the health benefits! :/

ElJay
Member # 6358

*grin* I eat grapefruit and plain yogurt without sweetener, too, so I'm probably not the best comparison for you. I do like sweet things, but I also appreciate tartness.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
beverly, I tried my kefir with protein powder and cinnimon and nutmeg, and it was really good. I didn't add any sweetener, and it didn't really need it. Since then I've just been sprinkling a little cinnimon on top, and I really like it that way.

I would need to look kefir up specifically, but if it raises the acidity of the milk (which I think it does), it might render the protein powder less useful to the body. I was warned about orange juice once in that regard, although of course OJ is more acidic.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, Dag, don't tell me I have to leave the OJ out of my protein shakes! It's the only thing that makes them truly palatable to me . . . (I don't use much--about 1/4 cup).

Is that true of any acid and any protein?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know - I'm extrapolating from the specific advice about OJ.

That warning wasn't backed up with science, by the way. I have no idea if it was accurate, since I was never tempted to use OJ in the first place. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That would make sense, Dag.

Here is the website of the kefir I bought, but it doesn't seem to have the nurtritional information on it. (It has LOTS of nutritional information on it, but not THE nutritional info that's, say, on the side of the bottle. Which seems weird.) But acidity wouldn't be listed there, anyway. One of bev's earlier links might address that.

(beverly, there are a lot of recipe suggestions on the site you might find interesting.)

beverly
Member # 6246

I've never heard that before. If it is true, I will be truly heartbroken. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Uprooted -- try adding a teaspoonful of almond extract. It does a LOT towards making protein shakes taste okay. Almost good, even. It kinda cancels out the nastiness.
beverly
Member # 6246

ElJay, I did a brief check, and couldn't find where the recipe suggestions were. Could you point me in the right direction?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sure, they're here, under "For our consumers."
beverly
Member # 6246

BTW, anyone who takes whey protein powder, the (new and improved) Wellements brand at Costco tastes worlds better than any other kind I've tried. The price for 6 lbs is $25 where I am.

(ElJay: Thanks!)

ElJay
Member # 6358

I should add that they're noting earth shattering, but they have some neat ideas. [Smile]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of almond flavoring. Which is weird, because I do love almonds--but lotions w/ almond scent in them, or cookies or candies w/ almond extract just don't do it for me.

I might try it anyway to see if I like the flavor in a different medium. I use unflavored whey powder because I'm allergic to soy powder, but I find the whey is sort of heavy and cloying; the tartness of the OJ balances that out nicely. The funny thing is, I sorta like the flavor of soy powders, and I know a lot of people find those nasty. Oh well.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had great success in using vanilla extract to blunt a sharp taste & give some sweetness, too. Very little and it does the trick for me, at least.

beverly, I've had friends encourage me to try kefir before (as I recall, it was along the lines of "Oh, you've never had kefir? Gee, you are so lucky to have this treat left to try. [Smile] "), but I never understood the difference between it and yogurt before. I'm quite excited about trying it now. Thanks!

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

^_^

I, too, use vanilla to enhance flavor--like in my smoothies.

ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
With my protein drinks I use a scoop of whey, lowfat milk, 2 tbs natural peanut butter, and a banana for sweetener.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Dag, I have been trying to find any information about acidity rendering protein less useful, and I have failed to find anything like what you mentioned here. All I could find was that taking in lots of protein can lead to higher body acidity. If you find the info, I would appreciate it. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

beverly, you do realize, I hope, that you've just instigated a whole bunch of people into trying kefir? [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
She's a kefir evangelist.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Dag, I have been trying to find any information about acidity rendering protein less useful, and I have failed to find anything like what you mentioned here. All I could find was that taking in lots of protein can lead to higher body acidity. If you find the info, I would appreciate it. [Smile]

Proteins ARE (mildly) acidic. And the stomach environment is quite acidic. Adding acids like citric acid shouldn't make much difference, I wouldn't think. (They actually help with the absorption of certain minerals, like iron.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, whenever people go off into the "orange juice is bad for you" territory I start to get wary. But then, I'm of the "get rid of things that are sweet" opinion. Not that I'm perfect at it. There was that postum-flavored ice cream I made for my birthday.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Proteins ARE (mildly) acidic.
They are made from amino acids.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Precisely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Then I'm not gonna worry too much about my favorite breakfast. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Probably safe. Especially if you don't microwave it. [Wink]
beverly
Member # 6246

^_^
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly, I just churned butter for the first time. It was so amazing! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Now I have home-churned butter in my fridge, we are having butter milk pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning and I am unreasonably happy about the whole thing.

So thank you! [Smile]

I didn't get as much buttermilk as I thought I would - how much is normal? Could it mean I didn't churn enough/churned too much (I used the food processor)?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Unreasonably happy? Naaaah! [Big Grin]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, I'm so hitting you up for kefir grains once we set up our dairy. Possibly sooner if I find a good local source of milk before then. Unfortunately, it's illegal to sell raw milk in Ohio.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I received dehydrated kefir grains in the mail today (regular airmail envelope - not very thick at all and no problem to receive at the house. Heck, it looks like just ordinary mail. [Big Grin] ) From what I've read, it takes anywhere from 4 to 10 days to get them kefiring properly. I'll post my progress. [Smile]

Thanks again, beverly. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, it's illegal to sell raw milk in Ohio.

Can you trade with someone? For instance, if you do crafts, grow fruit, make jam, whatever, can you set up an agreement to trade for what they have and you want with what you have and they want?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

For that matter, kefir made from pasteurized milk is still healthier than the pasteurized milk by itself, so I vote for kefiring regardless. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.