FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music festival to beat all music festivals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Music festival to beat all music festivals
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
we're going to stage a multi-continent; multi-era music festival.

Bands will be playing in open fields around the world.

They're dead you say? No problem. Way past their prime? Some of the group is alive, some dead?

NO PROBLEM! We have the time machine.

Don't worry about temporal parallaxes, we've got it all covered. John, Paul, George and Ringo of 1969 can play with Paul and Ringo of 2006. One night only!

Please restrict it to groups or individuals who you know to be great LIVE musicians.

It'll be great.

So far, I'm signing up:

- Mozart
- Beethoven
- The Who (with Keith & John, of course)
- Jerry Garcia with the Grateful Dead (he's very appreciative, by the way).
- Buddy Holly
- Arlo Guthrie
- Derrick & the Dominoes
- Creedence Clearwater Revival.
- The Doors
- Bowie
- Pink Floyd
- Jetrho Tull
- The Kinks
- The Stones
- The Beatles

Still more room on the programs. Suggestions are most welcome. Just add 'em below and we'll sign 'em up.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
- George Gershwin
- Cat Stevens
- Weird Al
- William Shatner

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
-Floyd (Dark Side era w/ special performance from "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" Floyd, including Syd Barret)

-Janice Joplin
-Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton, one song, 83 minutes long.
-Satchmo
-Mamas and the Papas
-U2 (Rattle and Hum era, please)
-Rush
-Yes
-Guns 'n' Roses (this surprised me, too)
-Moody Blues
-Johnny Cash
-Frampton
-Zepplin
-Crosby, Stills, and Nash (Neil can come, too)
-Talking Heads (If he wears The Suit)
-Bruce Springstein (gotta have the boss)

Edit to add:
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Violent Femmes

And of course,

-Wyld Stallyns!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Zappa
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
...with Flo and Eddie

Also Genesis performing Supper's Ready and Harold the Barrel

And Pete Seeger at age 87 (current age) performing "Take this Hammer" accompanying himself on sledge hammer. Everyone in the world needs to see him do this.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
slaps forehead! Genesis!

And then Peter Gabriel can stay on to perform all my favorite songs from 1-4, So and Us.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought Bob would like that. I'm not partial to So, though, except for Mercy Street and We Do What We're Told.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
- William Shatner
Well, that would end the music festival, fer sher.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You don't like Mercy Street?

That's one of my favorites on the album. (Probably second behind Don't Give Up.)

How about we put The Hooters on a satellite stage?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I ONLY like Mercy Street. The rest of the album SUX as far as I'm concerned. We Do What We're told is ok, largely because of the context (SO stands for "Sell Out")
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, sorry, reading quickly between essays. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The line-up:

Donna the Dead: Tara Nevins, Jerry Garcia, Jeb Puryear, Pigpen, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Tom Gilbert.

Sineppelin: Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Bottom

Pink M and M's: Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Eminem

This was a group effort after a real life awesome music festival.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Queen

Tom Lehrer

Bessie Smith

King Crimson

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Nirvana (Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, and Dave Grohl)
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The Rolling Stones
The Eagles (Randy Meisner on bass)

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"-Guns 'n' Roses (this surprised me, too)"

Do you not like the Guns?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, on behalf of Donna the Buffalo and The Herd, I am saddened by the band's absence in your festival. Saddened, I say.

Also, can Jerry have all five of his finger this time? He would be wicked grateful, then.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
ACDC - If, I had to choose, I'd want Brian Johnson singing, but it might be nice to have both him and Bon Scott do a couple songs.

Metallica with the San Fransisco Symphony
Queen
Wierd AL

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Oh, almost forgot a big one.

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar as the singer.

Edit: actually, come to think of it, I might actually prefer the David Lee Roth era. Not sure.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bluegrass Boys with Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, and Lester Flatt.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to include Gram Parsons, please. He can bring along the Flying Burrito Brothers if he wishes, but I'm much more partial to his two solo albums, with Emmylou Harris singing harmony. Their cover of "Love Hurts" gives me the shivers every time I hear it.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The Bluegrass Boys with Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, and Lester Flatt.

I was going to nominate Bill Monroe.

I will nominate the Klezmatics, though. And the Maxwell Street Band.

And can we get a little Monteverdi? And see if the Masters of the Rolls are available.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Joel (minus the vocal nodes)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien Touring
Member # 9568

- posted      Profile for Alien Touring   Email Alien Touring         Edit/Delete Post 
Bands good live only? This makes me sad (given I have seen two official Bands live), although I saw Primus live and that was rather awesome... so uh, I vote Primus -- who doesn't like Jerry Was a Race Car Driver! (c'mon, he drove so g'damned fast)
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Good news!

We just signed Donna the Buffalo and Crow Greenspun!

And Robin's Minstrels from The Holy Grail

<and there was much rejoicing>

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Tubes
Roxy Music
A decidedly non-ambient Eno
Joni Mitchell
kd lang

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Sineppelin: Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Bottom.

Who's John Bottom? [Confused]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Cindy Lauper
Tina Turner
Sara McClaughlin (sp?)
Linda Rondstat

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Cindy Lauper
Tina Turner
Sara McClaughlin (sp?)
Linda Rondstat

Bob, you just never struck me as the kind of guy to (sp?) instead of actually looking up a spelling. I kind of get a kick out of the (sp?). It says so much with so few keystrokes: "yeah, I know this isn't how you spell something, don't bother telling ME that's not the right spelling, because I already know. Yeah, I COULD look it up, but since you and I already know that's not how you spell it, why be a show-off? Who needs to spell correctly, anyway? All you really need to know is when something is spelled incorrectly. And I've done that, haven't I?"

(And I think it is Sarah McLachlan)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I think from now on instead of writing (sp?) i'm just going to write "(yeah, I know this isn't how you spell something, don't bother telling ME that's not the right spelling, because I already know. Yeah, I COULD look it up, but since you and I already know that's not how you spell it, why be a show-off? Who needs to spell correctly, anyway? All you really need to know is when something is spelled incorrectly. And I've done that, haven't I?)" [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Fine with me. Just footnote it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Some that I would have mentioned have already been listed, so I'm not including those.

The Smashing Pumpkins (Melon Collie era)
Sigur Rós (Takk... era)
Radiohead (The Bends era)
The Philosopher Kings (Famous, Rich, and Beautiful era)
I Mother Earth (The Quicksilver Meat Dream era)

Sergei Rachmaninov on the piano
Frédéric Chopin on the piano

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Tante [ROFL]

That's EXACTLY what was going through my head. You forgot one bit though.

I would look it up normally, but I'm really pressed for time right now, so I hope you'll forgive me and not make TOO big a deal out of it.

[Blushing]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like SO. It may mean "Sell Out," but it easily qualifies as a perfect Pop albumn. It's polished, well-written and immensely enjoyable to listen to.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

So was the first album since PG1 to have that same "feel" for me -- instant accessibility merged with long-term interest.

Over the long-haul, I think I like US slightly better, but I enjoy both SO and US as much as any albums I've ever owned.

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
George Gershwin
Paganini
Liszt
Maria Callas singing Madama Butterfly
The Beatles (post Sgt. Pepper's)
Jimi Hendrix
Lynard Skynard w/Ronny Van Zant
Queen
Smashing Pumpkins (pre Adore and Machina)
Nine Inch Nails (Downward Spiral)
Radiohead (after every album)
Do Make Say Think
Ani Difranco
Poe
Sleater Kinney
Close it out with a choir made up of Ronny Van Zant, Freddy Mercury, Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, Thom Yorke, Maria Callas, Ani Difranco, Poe, and Sleater Kinney.
What are they singing? I have no idea. The real question is could so many leads blend together and sound good in a choir? The answer is probably no, but I'd pay to hear the attempt anyway.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Badfinger
Todd Rungren

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cheap Trick
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Freddie Mercury
Gladys Knight
Ray Charles
Lou Reed

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
the Heavenly Host. NT era is best, but OT would be okay.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Who is John Bottom, you ask?

He is the victim of an Extreme Misspelling. John Bonham is his real name. Drummer fro Led Zeppelin.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Good news!

We just signed Donna the Buffalo and Crow Greenspun!

And Robin's Minstrels from The Holy Grail

<and there was much rejoicing>

Cool. I assume they are all playing together? What is the name of their band?
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Who is John Bottom, you ask?

He is the victim of an Extreme Misspelling. John Bonham is his real name. Drummer fro Led Zeppelin.

That's weird. I don't remember Led Zeppelin's drummer having a 'fro. [Razz]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This was back in the late 60's early 70's when everyone had a fro'.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Laugh] plaid. That was great!

Elizabeth, I got nothin'. I was thinking The Holy Gruel, but I don't have any good reason why.

Oh well.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeh, "Anthrax" is taken
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone suggest Electric Light Orchestra?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Elizabeth, I got nothin'. I was thinking The Holy Gruel, but I don't have any good reason why.

Oh well. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sigh.
Once again, I shall state that your ability to come up with puns has dissipated drastically since marriage. It is almost as if you are paying atention to someone else, and neglecting your duties to the comedic deities.
I am saddened.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Liszt

the rock-star of pianists

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IndigoKnight1
Member # 9526

- posted      Profile for IndigoKnight1           Edit/Delete Post 
Ever a stranger to fashion, I am disappointed to the extreme for the serious lack of:

• Ozzy Ozbourne (With Randy Rhodes)
    Billy Idol (The 80's)
    Gary Neuman (The 70's)
    ZZ Top (are they still alive?)
    Adam Ant
    Kiss (The Peter Chris years)
    The J Geils Band
    Twisted Sister
    Blue Oyster Cult

However, I am over joyed to find that no one has decided to include:

• Michael Jackson
    The Hansens
    The Bee Gees
    Britany Spears

It's nice to know that we have some standards! [Razz]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.