FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Camping meals

Author Topic: Camping meals
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We will be going on vacation soon, camping on the way to Oregon and on the way back. I am looking for ideas for camping meals.

Porter's all-time favorite is the classic "foil dinner." Ground beef mixed with onion soup mix, surrounded by stew-like veggies. I do not care for this particular meal, though. I would be interested in varieties on this theme though, food put in foil and left in the coals to cook.

My current favorite is pigs in blankets. You have yer "whomp-um" biscuits and some sausages or hotdogs. Blanket the hotdogs, put 'em on sticks, and roast till done. This is beloved by our kids as well.

Our most recent camping trip featured the side-dish of corn-on-the-cob-in-the-coals. Mmmm!

For breakfast, there is the ultra-easy flavored instant oatmeal. There is also pancakes on the griddle or anything else on the griddle.

But as we make the effort to camp more frequently, I am hoping to get more ideas, particularly for dinner. Does anyone out there have a personal favorite?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me simple, but I've always been fond of the traditional hot dogs. None of this in-a-blanket stuff for me [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old issue of Eating Well magazine that has a whole section on camping/backpacking food. I will try to dig it out tonight.

For foil dinners I never used the onion soup mix, just put a hamburger patty in and added cheese, carrots, thin sliced potatoes, etc. Sometimes I left out the hamburger altogether and used sliced zuchinni, onions, carrots, cheese, and herbs.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, I would enjoy foil dinners more with cheese!

Anyone else notice that when camping, any semblance of eating healthy generally goes out the window? [Smile]

Dana's last version sounds quite healthy, though. [Cool]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The stuff from Eating Well was all fairly healthy, and I remember it being quite tasty. I especially liked the jambalaya. Most of the recipies were things you assembled at home in gallon freezer bags and just had to put in a pot with water and heat.

Now I want a foil dinner. [Grumble]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Most of the recipies were things you assembled at home in gallon freezer bags and just had to put in a pot with water and heat.
Alright! This is what I'm talkin' 'bout. Easy *and* tasty.

Is Eating Well a magazine?

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My family always made chicken foil dinners - cubed chicken, carrots, onion, potato, winter or summer squash, corn, peas, broccoli, etc. with italian salad dressing. Basically, everyone would put chicken, their favorite veggies, and italian salad dressing into their pouch. You could probably easily vary this to make something akin to stir fry - use soy or teriyaki sauce in place of dressing, add snow peas, pineapple, cashews, etc.

We also usually had things like sandwiches, canned chili, beef stew, dutch oven fruit cobbler or pineapple upside down cake, and smores. You could probably make a dutch oven chicken or beef pot pie (depending on the brand, you could use chicken or beef stew and top with biscuits).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

- posted      Profile for Cavalier           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Romeo Echoes - MREs - Brown/Bag nasties!
I know the infamous military food probably doesn't strictly count as "camp food" per se...but I know I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them. The Veggie Burrito one is especially good.

Edit to add: And I forgot to mention that you can make an "MRE bomb" out of the heater component. It's like an adult happy meal-it comes with a toy!

Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ludosti, that definitely sounds more to my liking. [Smile] The stir-fry idea is particularly fascinating.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Dutch ovens require a little practice, (And forget about the foil lining, just clean them right after you use them. trust me) but they will really expand your horizions.
Stew; brown your meat add veggies, water and a roue. When it smells good, top with those "womp-um" bisciuts that you dont need anymore for the dogs, and put the lid back on for 15 minutes. you have a fun pot pie. It works with beef, pork, chicken, or even gopher if you have some.

Try Scoutmaster chile! Brown ground meat,(beef, pork, turkey, all of the above)a diced onion and a diced pepper right in the oven. Pour in a can of each kind of Bean on your Safeway shelf and a can of corn, pour in an equal number of cans of tomatoes. add a big lump of chile powder, chopped cilantro, molassas or brown sugar and anything else that seems appropriate and cook for an hour or so. It will be different every time, and kids love it. (it may leave indelible stains on unprotected skin)

For light meals, kids love grilled cheese and any kind of soup. Grilled peanut butter works too.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked using a pie iron to make grilled sandwiches over a fire. You can fill them with just about anything. We used pizza fillings, ham & cheese, pie filling for dessert.

If you camp out a lot, it might be worth the investment. You could probably find some at that Smith and whatever store up there north of Salt Lake, too.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I've been debating whether or not to bring our dutch oven. We've got the stuff, but we have only made a handful of recipes in it.

Mmmm... grilled peanut butter!

beverly
Member # 6246

I hadn't considered a pie iron. Looks cool!
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the name of that store right off I-15 near Ogden? Smith and Barney? Smith and Weber? Dang... it's been too long (although I just drove past it last month).

I never stopped there, but everyone (else) in SE Idaho seemed to. I guess they sell all kinds of camping goodies (along with just about everything else, I'm told).

Edit to change I-80 to I-15. doh!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, pie irons are great for both pie and sandwich type dishes.

other ideas since you seem to be forgetting the best part (desert):
dutch oven cobbler is fantastic (I prefer peach)
dirt or sand (substitute butterscotch pudding) is also a big hit and can be easily made in a bag to save on dishes.

soup/stew is also great
like people have mentioned, you can use the foil pack idea on just about any genre or food combination.
don't discount simple grillables such as steak, kabobs, burgers, brats...

another suggestion related to food. the common frisbee works phenomenaly for camping as it serves as an entertainment device, a plate and a shallow bowl which helps eliminate the need for extra dishes and such.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I camp alot, and I'm a complete hedonist when it comes to my food, so....
I've found that the foil meal works with just about everything. I've made BBQ pulled pork, steak with mushrooms and onions, chicken cordon blue, beef brisket. Pretty much anything can be wrapped in multiple layers of foil and set to cook for however long. Most of my meals take at the very most an hour to cook.
My absolute favorite is fresh salmon covered in cubed mango and set to cook on indirect heat(the grill part of the fire pit with nothing but coals underneath). I add a little bit of garlic and some salt and pepper because my taste buds require it, but it is amazing on its own.
Most of those are only practical for car camping though, where you've got space for extra groceries and arent going to have to lug them very far. For more practical camping, my staples are flavored instant mashed potatoes, mac and cheese with hot dogs cut up in, bagged stew, and frozen stirfry meals that act as ice in my cooler.
Beverly, if you make it all the way to the Oregon coast, you guys HAVE to get some seafood and cook it over an open fire. Fresh salmon, fresh steamer clams (for which you'll need a camp steamer), fresh Dungeness Crab, and fresh oysters are all easily cooked over a camp fire and so...fricken...good.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Beverly, if you make it all the way to the Oregon coast, you guys HAVE to get some seafood and cook it over an open fire. Fresh salmon, fresh steamer clams (for which you'll need a camp steamer), fresh Dungeness Crab, and fresh oysters are all easily cooked over a camp fire and so...fricken...good.
Good point! I will look for that opportunity. [Cool]
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Peh. City folk, thems mountain pies.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I can not find the issue I was thinking of. Sorry. [Frown]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from camping last week, can't recommend the awesomeness that is pie irons enough. Just make sure you butter the outside of the bread so it doesn't stick, but man, delicious!

We used pizza fillings, but anything goes really.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you guys doing in Oregon?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My family as well as scout troops (my dad was scout master for the boys' troop, my mom troop leader for my girl scout troup) made some that I don't know how to spell. It was basically ground beef, tomato paste, italian seasoning, and elbow macaroni. I think the way you make it is to boil the macaroni, and in a separate pot (or maybe the same one after draining the pasta?) cook the beef in the tomatoes. Then you mix them together and add the italian seasoning to taste. You can also add corn, which is really good and gets some veggies in there. You can either make it over the fire or make it ahead of time and freeze it in ziplock bags. I seem to remember it being a one pot meal of sorts.

Having read most of the thread, so someone might have said this already, but you can cook eggs in bags. Put one or two eggs in a sandwich size ziplock bag with cheese and veggies if you want it like an omelette, close it tight and mix it all up. Put two of those in a gallon size ziplock bag, seal, and put into a pot of boiling water. It's really good.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We do quesadillas, which are easy to make over a fire or a stove.

I cut chicken and steak into strips and marinate them, then freeze them. They cook fast, and keep the other food cold as they defrost.

I bring canned fruit without sugar.

We take kielbasa, which lasts forever.

Eggs are easy to make, but a pain to clean in camp.

I also pre-cook a pile of bacon. This can be used in the car ride or at camp for blt's, or for a quick reheat for eggs and bacon, or to put in an egg and cheese sandwich or breakfast burrito.

I also make and freeze soups and stews. What was the world like before freezer bags???

Spider dogs. Take a hot dog, and make four slices on each end. Put it on a stick and over the fire. The pieces curl out like a spider's legs, and are a big hit.

Oh, and I go to the vendor's booths a lot. But that is because the camping we do lately is at music festivals. Ha.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.koa.com/recipes/files/0285.htm
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
I always liked using a pie iron to make grilled sandwiches over a fire. You can fill them with just about anything. We used pizza fillings, ham & cheese, pie filling for dessert.

If you camp out a lot, it might be worth the investment. You could probably find some at that Smith and whatever store up there north of Salt Lake, too.

I cannot second this recommendation enough. Around these parts, those are referred to as "Pudgy Pie" makers. They are named so because nothing's better than a couple of slices of sandwich bread with pie filling in the middle roasted over a fire.

The pizza suggestion is also good. Two slices of bread, some sauce, pepperoni or sausage, cheese and whatever else strikes your fancy and you've got one seriously delicious meal.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
We often did cut up potatoes with some lemon, wrapped in tin foil.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
What are you guys doing in Oregon?
The reason for the trip is a family reunion on the 29th. So much of my family is up there, I love being able to see them all.
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
What part of Oregon will you be in? There's some cool festivals happening all around if you want some info and think you might have the time.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
-different foil packet dinners: polish sausage with canned potatoes and onions, chicken breast cubes with zucchini, carrots, or other veggies, and diced potatoes (or sweet potatoes), the list is endless.

-one-skillet meals: Texas hash (rice, beef, tomatoes, onions, and chili powder), fried sausage, potatoes, and veggies, etc., tuna simmered with canned zucchini and corn and topped with cheese (only good when camping, but delectable after a day of hiking!), etc.

-soups (my favorite is barley, mushroom, beef, and veggie)
-pancakes (made with just-add-water mix), sausages, and orange juice: my favorite breakfast, but can also be good for dinner

-my favorite dessert/breakfast treat: canned pears, drained, simmered in sweetened OJ with sweetened dried cranberries and cinnamon

-if you have access to a store nearby to pick up fresh cream and ice, ice cream in a bag

I love camp-out (and campfire) cooking.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Italian sausage is always good for making a bunch of campers with hotdogs and hamburgers really jealous once the smell starts wafting through the campground.

If you have a dutch oven, chili over a camp fire is fun to make. You can have all the ingredients chopped and ready.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Foundling, our time will be tight, but I wouldn't mind the info so that we can take it into account. [Smile]

I think I will be making a foil dinner for myself that includes chicken, cheese, and zucchini, among other things. [Smile]

The ideas here have been awesome! That pear breakfast sounds nummy!

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
For veggies (still haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned) make a foil packet and put in baby carrots, brown sugar, and butter/margerine. Put in coals. Yum.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
psh. All you need are poptarts, PBJ, and ham/cheese/ranch dressing wraps. That way you don't even need a fire! If you get rained out, no biggy. If you're bringing a stove, and you run out of fuel, no biggy. And you don't have to bring a stove at all this way. Save space and weight. I survived off that stuff for a month. And enjoyed it! No room for all this tin foil and veggies and hotdogs in your pa ...

Oh, right, you're not backpacking. [Razz] . hehe. I knew that.

Seriously though, I would recommend those little pies in a box as a desert. Little Debbie makes em I think. They are cheap and are good cold or you can heat them up.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, backpacking and camping have different weight requirements. I also have lived on dehydrated granola... but find deer-camp-type meals much more satisfying.

I'm lazy, so I tend to do tinfoil meals while I'm camping. Basically you need something with water (I usually use carrots and potatoes), something with grease (I usually use bacon ends), and something you want to eat (usually for me, corn-on-the-cob and some variety of dead-cow-flesh). Wrap it all up in foil, maybe with a little salt and pepper, and toss it in the coals for a while.

If I'm feeling less lazy I do kabobs, which have less corn and more onions.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I searched EatingWell.com and only found a recipe for pancakes. Then I did a search for camping recipes and all kinds of things came up.

Just two: About.com and Camp Recipes.

My family used to camp when I was younger, but I don't remember what we ate. We had a Coleman stove, though. I still remember the bit of excitement when a suitcase caught fire from being too close to the stove. [Eek!] Kent and I haven't gone camping with our kids.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
The store north of SLC is Smith and Edwards.

When we went camping last year my hubby did a dessert using tortillas filled with butterscotch chips, marshmellows, choco chips , rolled them up and then rolled again in tin foil and put in the coals as an alternative for s'mores. They were good but nothin' beats a s'more for me!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yeah, the Eating Well issue I'm thinking of was from about 10 years ago -- way before they started putting their stuff on the web. I wish I could find it, though, 'cause it had some great stuff.

It turns out we'll be eating camping food this weekend too -- some friends of ours will be camping about 30 miles from here and have invited us to join them for supper on Friday. We'll be bringing veggies from the garden.

*sings* Eggplant roasting on an open fire . . .

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ideas here have been awesome! That pear breakfast sounds nummy!
Why, thank you. I invented that when I was about 14, and have been making it every non-backpacking camping trip ever since. It's always a hit. Good with oatmeal on the side, too, if you need more substance.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.