FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what are good methods for verifying trig identities?

Author Topic: what are good methods for verifying trig identities?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a precalc course and so far I've done well but this material is sort of headache inducing as you aren't even solving an equation but merely "veryfing it" so one side--through conversion using various formulas--resembles the other.

Any tips for acing this stuff??

--Abe

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Convert all the trig functions to the ratios they represent. That always made it easier for me.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Start with the ugly side.
  • If it gets uglier for more than two consecutive steps, you're probably doing something wrong.
  • When all else fails, turn everything into sine and cosine. (i.e., no tan, cot, csc, or sec)
  • When all else really fails, go ahead and break the rules: work on both sides. You're not supposed to, so do it on another piece of paper. Once you find the key, you can go back and fake the work.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice gentlemen. I wrote it down and am going to implement it tonight! (thanks)

Does this stuff come back in calc?

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what are good methods for verifying trig identities?
I usually put them in cages with other trigs and see what happens. In a couple of weeks you'll be able to tell who's who pretty easily.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You should listen to Icarus before me.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
No, or at least it didn't at my college. But then there's also epsilon-delta proofs, and other kinds of headaches...
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Verifying trig identities? Not so much per se, although it could come up in the form of proofs of other stuff. Depends on how proof-happy your calc teacher is. However, to be good at verifying them, you have to know them well, and that will certainly come up again, when you're trying to differentiate or integrate trigonometric ratios. Also, if you plan on taking the AP exam, memorize your trig identities! If your precalc teacher lets you use a reference sheet or a notecard--as I have wrongfully done for years--s/he is not doing you any favors, as you will not be allowed any sort of reference on the AP calc test.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, not for years and never to the extent that you're doing now.

The half and double angle formulas have been the most useful in my experience.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: Sin^2 + Cos^2 = 1. Use that rule to convert them. Remember the 0 rule (1/x-1) --> x can't be 1.

It's a case by case basis. I'd say convert everything into sin and cos then go on from there.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the chinese proverb "squaring gains a root."
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved trig and trig identities. And I have to completely agree with Icarus - memorize those crazy suckers!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the fun solution of converting everything to exponentials, simplifing and converting back. Although that may be beyond the scope of your class.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag
quote:
You should listen to Icarus before me.
Funny, I tried memorizing trig identities three times through three courses, and it never made sense. It worked for a given test, but didn't stick with me.

Then I did exactly what you said above, and converted the identities into the ratios they represented. It was slower than using memorized "facts," but the meaning has not left me since. I would say your original advice is the best one here.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just ask for some picture ID.

Hey, if its good enough for your local polling place, it should be good enough for class.

Although, there is always the problem of Trig Identity Theft. One forged cosine and who knows what chaos may follow.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a problem. A friend of mine had his fiancee cosine on a loan, and then they broke up. She was responsible for his debt under the law of cosines.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think you guys are getting off on a tangent.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I had problems with this, because every time I'd try to verify trigonometric Identities I would end up roughing them up a little to get 'em to talk, and invariably they would give me false information. On my Precal midterm I held this fresh little secant out the window upside down, and he shouted "Ok, ok, I'm a Cosine." (The lying little jerk). So I'm like "Hey, you were a Secant a couple seconds ago, and now that you're inversed you're trying to tell me you're a Cosine, nice try." Long story short I failed the test.

Well… not really.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeah, he was a tangent, that's why she fell for him. Tall dark and handsome. She was pretty acute too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.