FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ladies only! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ladies only!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, most of the doctors I've ever met. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Yeah, I did get an EEG, CT, and it came back normal, so the doctor gave up.

Well, at least you can rule out "seizures," then, as that's a diagnosis of abnormal brain activity, which you don't have. I hope that is reassuring. [Smile]

Did anyone ever check your heart rhythm? (they might well have done this during the EEG and not mentioned it, by the way)
quote:
That's one of the reasons I'm not going back to him- what kind of good doctor gives up on a patient?
He may have not known what else to say, if everything medically worrisome (to a physician, that is) had been ruled out. Of course, that doesn't address the fact that you feel uncomfortable with him, which is a reaction that should be honored. If you don't feel right with a healthcare provider, then there is a problem, period.

Did anyone talk with you about breathing exercises or other specific self-calming techniques? I remember thinking about how your symptoms would fit with unconscious hyperventilation syndrome, which is relatively more common than you'd expect. (And bringing that idea up doesn't mean I think it's "all in your head" or that you are crazy -- this is just the body's unconscious reaction to stress. It's actually something that happens to athletes a lot as well as other people -- I learned about it in Sports Medicine Clinic. My own version of this is "laryngeal spasm," for which I had to learn how to massage the muscles at the front of my throat and deep breathing techniques. [Smile] )

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had seizures. She would pass out and then have one. She was even kind enough to do this while at the dr's office so he could see (not intentionally, but still, I thouhgt it was pretty convenient). After thought and testing, he came up with the brilliant observation- she only had seizures when she fainted. So, she should just stop fainting. Then he sent her on her way. My sister hadn't wanted to go to the dr's anyway so she accepted this. Strangely, this advice did seem to help her.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really look forward to the day when a bad experience with a female professional is attributed to her individual competence/qualities rather than to her gender.
I was not ascribing my personal feelings to her gender - I definitely think it was about competence. My oncologist is female, so is one of the pediatricians my kids see, I have no problem at all with a doctor being female, African Amerian, foreign born, whatever, I just want a competent physician. But, when I hear people say "Go to a female gynecologist" with the implication that a female is always better than a male, then I have to counter that by saying, no - in my experience that's not true.

It's not a knock against all female physicians or even against all female gyns. It's also not fair to classify all male gyns as insensitive - though I hear many people do that when they encourage women to only seek female gyns. There are some wonderful, caring, and incredibly competent male ob/gyns in the world, just as there are wonderful, caring, incredibly competent female gyns. And there are insensitive jerks of both gender, too.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.