FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eureka!

Author Topic: Eureka!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for Eureka to come on Sci-fi channel when the stupid ECW was on…… It really bothers me that this stupid fake scripted choreographed untalented waste of time useless group of idiots pretending to do some sort of form of wrestling on the Sci-fi channel.

It’s the Sci-fi channel for goodness sakes. Where we’re supposed to have reruns of old great science fiction flicks and new great stuff. Not this crap.

I guess my only hope is that no one with a quarter of a brain actually thinks it’s real so that maybe the horrible ratings will cancel it very very shortly.

Oh by the way, anyone else watch Eureka? I was on the fence weather to watch it but the Battlestar Galacticia prmo sent me over the edge. Not sure I’ll watch it consistently. But there seems to be a little potential.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come now. ECW is soap operas for men. If women get 12 hours of soaps during the day, the ECW can have it's hour, two nights a week.

I didn't get a chance to catch Eureka, but I plan to watch a reshowing of it some time this week. It looks good. Both Sci-Fi and USA are churning out some friggin awesome shows lately.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
It always amuses me how people rail against wrestling exclaiming that it's fake and it's participants untalented. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike it, but I wouldn't put those among them.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Eureka - it ran again at 11 p.m. (Central time). It's interesting ... I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch it consistently, because of my work schedule, but we'll see.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heffaji:
It always amuses me how people rail against wrestling exclaiming that it's fake and it's participants untalented. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike it, but I wouldn't put those among them.

Agreed, I don't really care much for watching it, but anyone who says that they are untalented is not paying attention. Yes, the moves are faked, but even to pull off the fakes requires them to be in really good shape.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Eureka was fun. I loved Carter and his daughter. I'm glad the therapist isn't really a hooker (though I still think she dabbles in it on the side.) And while I thought Archamedies did manage quite a bit of conversation for an autistic, I thought the kid was adorable. I hope we see more of him.

Spoiler

Most of all, I love how most of our "bad guys" were either the military trying to do the right thing and protect America or the head of the program trying to cover its behind. He wasn't out to destroy anything on purpose. He's just trying to keep the program from running into trouble with the appropriations committee.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrestling I've heard described as morality plays for modern times. Sort of like Punch and Judy of yore, perhaps. Eureka sounds like it might be good. What is it?

One of my favorite Dr. Who quotes, "Eureka is Greek for 'this bath is too hot.'"

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Eureka last night. Quite liked it. At least it came off a lot (and I mean a lot) better than the other new cable show I've seen, Psych. I've never seen a premise for a show get old before the pilot was over. I can't imagine the pitch meeting for that one. "Hey, let's make yet another detective show. But instead of having the detective sum up the solution at the end of the show, let's have him do the exact same tired song-and-dance flailing on the ground and speaking in tongues to pretend that he's a psychic. And maybe we can have him do that two or three times in the middle of every episode, too. That should be good for plenty of laughs, right?"
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Heffaji:

Agreed, I don't really care much for watching it, but anyone who says that they are untalented is not paying attention. Yes, the moves are faked, but even to pull off the fakes requires them to be in really good shape.
Exclaiming that it's fake? So are you saying you’re among the 1% who think it’s real?
The are certainly very untalented actors.

If it was real and they quit acting there wouldn’t be any reason not to like it. They’d go wrestle and it might even become a legitimate sport.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Bobh Briggs once wrote an excellent and hilarious essay on the appeal of wrestling, which included him ranting about the fakeness and over-the-top acting and stupid pumped-up feuds and... did you see that! How did the referee miss that? That man was robbed!

I liked Eureka. From this point it could get really bad or really good, and I'm interested enough to see which direction it picks. As long as it doesn't interfere with "House."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
xclaiming that it's fake? So are you saying you’re among the 1% who think it’s real?
No. He's saying it's not even presented as real any more, so it being fake isn't a reason not to watch it.

And there's tons of talent there. It's a different kind of talent. Anyone who thinks that doesn't require talent and hard work is clearly not paying attention.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Ok. I understand what you’re saying with the real thing. Though you’ll still hear the every now and then idiot who swears it’s real. I watched like 5 minutes of it while waiting for Eureka to come on. Sure they’re big guys and what not, but I didn’t think their moves were all that spectacular (thought most of them looked like juveniles doing some silly trick), so I’m confused on the whole talent thing. But since talent is really an opinion thing.

But Eureka did look like a neat concept. The level 5 things should be for some fun secrets. Next week’s seems a little off the mark for show concept:

http://www.scifi.com/eureka/episodes/
“Carter and the rest of the town are surprised by the arrival of Susan Perkins, a dead woman whose funeral they've all just attended”.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, on the wrestling topic, try reading "Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling" by wrestler Mick Foley. He's not on par with OSC, but he makes some valid points, and I found his stories and his writing style entertaining.

Haven't seen Eureka...but I'm interested.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to know what was up with that moment at the beginning when Zoe sees her father and herself in the passing car going the other way. That was never explained.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jay entirely. ECW has no place on SciFi, and I don't understand the appeal of "professional wrestling" at all.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone still believe that the specialty categorization of cable channels actually means anything any more?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

:-\

There is enough crap on. If Sci-Fi network won't stay true to, you know, science fiction, maybe somebody ought to start like a science fiction cable channel.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that many people are almost fanatically against pro wrestling? I'm not a die-hard fan, but I do watch it from time to time and do get entertainment from it. If you don't like it, cheers, just don't watch it.

I don't want to start any more of an argument than has already gone on, but it confuses me to refer to it as "stupid fake scripted choreographed untalented waste of time", when that describes MOST of the shows on television.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Eureka okay. Dead Like Me was also interesting, although I'm not sure how good it actually was.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still want to know what was up with that moment at the beginning when Zoe sees her father and herself in the passing car going the other way. That was never explained.
I thought that was mapped as one of the anomalies. The accident had already happened, so it was a warp in the space-time continuum.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Why is it that many people are almost fanatically against pro wrestling? I'm not a die-hard fan, but I do watch it from time to time and do get entertainment from it. If you don't like it, cheers, just don't watch it.

It shouldn't be on SciFi Network. Better stuff could be on--like reruns of Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, Lost In Space, Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, or classic Battlestar Galactica. There must already be another channel out there for "350 Pound hairless men in speedos groping each other."
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
xclaiming that it's fake? So are you saying you’re among the 1% who think it’s real?
No. He's saying it's not even presented as real any more, so it being fake isn't a reason not to watch it.

And there's tons of talent there. It's a different kind of talent. Anyone who thinks that doesn't require talent and hard work is clearly not paying attention.

Exactly what I was trying to say.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I liked Eureka okay. Dead Like Me was also interesting, although I'm not sure how good it actually was.

According to my brother and his roommates, Dead Like Me started out well, but never really went anywhere. I think they stopped watching after season 1.

quote:
I thought that was mapped as one of the anomalies. The accident had already happened, so it was a warp in the space-time continuum.

Hmmm, if they said that explicitly, I missed it. Plus, Zoe waved to herself, which means the other her knew it was going to happen. But then it never did. I don't know, it just seemed like they were setting something up, and forgot about it for whatever reason.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They didn't say that explicitly. But I think it was on the map, although I'm not sure.

I also felt like they had put that in, intending to do something with it, then never did or changed direction with it-- although it might be at the end of the series, when they leave town?

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone here still watching this show? I've seen every episode this season, and I'm really digging it. I don't know if it's convinced me to buy the DVDs, but it's definitely got me setting aside Tuesday evenings with no regrets.

I'm getting fairly attached to the characters, and I've never really been disappointed with a story so far. Not all of them have been top-notch, but I don't think there's been a single episode that made me feel like I wasted my time, which is more than I can say for a lot of shows that I really like. And tonight's episode was way cool. Intriguing story, good dialogue, and the War Games reference at the end cracked me up.

I can't believe the season finale is next week. I hope it gets renewed.

Just thought I would see if I'm the only person left in the show's audience.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've seen every episode, too. I still think it's a good show. Not a great show, no. But good, entertaining, not as violent as some, hardly any swearing or nudity (a plus for me), and the characters are fun. I enjoy it. I hope it's renewed, too.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I just watched my very first episodes of Dead Like Me and Eureeka tonight. I didn't much care for the first episode of Dead Like Me, but I guess it intrigued me enough to watch the second. Eureeka was entertaining, but not really special in any way. It's like they used the premise for its cuteness factor and did nothing else with it. Of the two, I would be more likely to watch Dead Like Me again, though I'm not sure I like it . . . it was just interesting.

But since I hardly watch any television at all (ask me about the time we were a Neilson family) I probably won't see either again any time soon.

-o-

Something the "bureaucrat" character (sorry, I don't tend to pick up character names right away) said on Eureeka tonight made me slightly rethink my earlier statements on ECW. Not that I've changed my mind about it being stupid and unentertaining homoerotica, but about its presence on Sci-Fi. Maybe it's the type of situation where a show like that is so profitable that it makes it possible for the network to air all sorts of programming that is far less so, and so maybe a sci-fi channel wouldn't be possible without something like ECW. (Who knows what there bottom line was before ECW and what it is now.)

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Joe Bobh Briggs once wrote an excellent and hilarious essay on the appeal of wrestling, which included him ranting about the fakeness and over-the-top acting and stupid pumped-up feuds and... did you see that! How did the referee miss that? That man was robbed!

I liked Eureka. From this point it could get really bad or really good, and I'm interested enough to see which direction it picks. As long as it doesn't interfere with "House."

Can you link it Chris?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I might take a study break and watch tonight's episode. I like the idea of Carter's home going insane.

And I think Fargo's a big goof. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's episode was great. Season finale is next week....
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I didn't think it was the best they've done, but pretty good
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Eureka. My fave was the one where everyone lost their inhibitions and just did what they wanted. Stark and Alison's fight was too perfect.

I had class yesterday, so I'll watch last night's crazy house episode later.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the characterizations and the attitude of the show. I only have one worry.

I hate the idea that the one character, the mechanic, is "The Man of Gizmo's". No matter what needs to be done in the town, from fixing cars to fixing traffic lights to fire fighting, to stopping global thermo nuclear war, or worse, he is the one who shows up and is in charge of taking care of it. I don't want him to be just an extension of the gadgets, and the designated Spock.

(Note: I have not seen the last 3 episodes--they are TIVO'd, so this criticism may be unjust)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, if you don't mind being spoiled
SPOILERS FOR LAST NIGHT'S
Henry, the mechanic, wants to leave.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, DLM is much better un-edited.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I can't imagine seeing an edited version of Dead Like Me. They would almost have to cut the Mason character all together, since it is rare that he utters a sentence without some creative swearing. They have shown both seasons on Swedish television and I think the show has held a consistent high quality, with some episodes being near master pieces. It's a shame it was cancelled. I will buy the DVDs eventually.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heh, I can't imagine seeing an edited version of Dead Like Me.
Me neither.

I also really like(d) Dead Like Me. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly was very good.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Dead Like Me. Although I have only seen the edited version I am still quite sad the canceled it. When that happen?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was explaining to theca last night why I couldn't imagine watching an edited DLM. I mean, you lose so much.

My first-season copy of DLM is currently making the rounds at my workplace. I might never get it back!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
The only two new shows I like are on at the same time, Eureka and the Unit.
I like Eureka, it's fun. I agree about the handy man that does everything. Though they explained that a bit more lately.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.