FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Burger King's Response to American Health Crisis
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So, with all the complaining and threats of lawsuits against McDonalds and other fastfood places, BK has decided tweak their menu with an all new item:

The BK Stacker

Basically they looked at a Triple Whopper and said, "What's with the tomato and lettuce?" Thus the BK Stacker has only meat, cheese and bacon. It's like declaring war on the hearts of America, literally.

I guess that lettuce, tomato and onion stuff, the only healthy pieces of the sandwich, was just getting in the way. This is what REAL men eat!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the advertisment for this? It has people building the sandwiches as if the sandwiches are huge, like building sized. The people, are also migits which was just beyond weird when I saw this ad.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Creepy midgets too. I wasn't a fan of the commercial. Then again, I've hated the last 2 years of BK commercials, it's part of why I never go there.

I remember one where they had the human Whopper, made up of people wearing ingredient costumes. They've had some of the stupidest commercials I've ever seen. I refuse to contribute to that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't be surprised...but, damn.

quote:
But let me run down the numbers for the Quad Stacker, which has a half a pound of meat in between all that cheese and bacon.

It has 1,000 calories, 68 grams of fat and 30 grams of saturated fat. That is more fat than most adults should have in an entire day.

Again, damn.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we all choose our own poison, but this is ridiculous. How can something like this sell? I thought the country as a whole was trying to be more health-conscious. Isn't that why all of these fast food places have added salads to their menus? What happened to that?

I liked this part:
quote:
Why did Burger King decide to launch the Stacker line? Spokeswoman Hayes tells me it all comes down to choice.

"We're just offering people an alternative," she says. "So when you feel like indulging there's something for you." And she adds, with a straight face, "of course everything in moderation."

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Whopper line has more calories, it appears. A double whopper with cheese is almost 1000 calories, while a double stacker is 660.

Differences all across the board, but it ends up being less meat, smaller bun, and either less sauce or a sauce that has less fat than the mayo on the whopper line up.

Another thing to remember is that many people on Atkins go to these places and deconstruct the burger to toss out carbs. It's a lot easier to do if the thing isn't loaded up with other stuff. Their spokesperson doesn't mention that, but I know lots of people who can't bring themselves to order fast food burgers without the bun, but would be happy to have one that comes apart more easily.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Advertising Age, this is just another in the trend to get men's business. Wendy's has a similar "man" burger, and so does Hardee's. The article was talking about how men associate appetite with manliness, and like to see themselves as hardy enough to eat like that since they're young and strong.

But I only read a few paragraphs as I was checking the journal into our library. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I guess the Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, no fries or drink, that I get from Wendy's isn't exactly 'manly', then.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and where does the "Whimpie burger" fall on this scale?

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. This is child's play. At Rutgers University they have the Grease Trucks, and their signature "Fat" sandwiches. In fact, the "Fat Darrell" won Maxim's 'best sandwich in the country' accolades.

My favorite Fat sandwich is the Fat Beach, which is comprised of:
cheese steak,
chicken fingers,
mozzarella sticks,
bacon,
lettuce,
tomato,
mayo,
ketchup,
and french fries..
all stuffed into a sub roll for $5.00.

It's awesome.

I also heard on the radio about this monstrosity, which is a bacon cheeseburger served, not on a bun, but on a glazed krispy kreme donut.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on the Appalachian Trail, in one day I ate 7500+ calories. Those Little Debbie iced honeybuns ... 530 calories. Oh yeah. Mmmm ... I now keep one stocked in my car at all times, so when I get a craving I can chow down.

Just thought I'd share that before I say that I plan on having a BK Stacker for lunch today. I'm curious, what can I say?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
>_>

It sounds pretty good to me at the moment, too. But I brought lunch today.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, how bad is it that I can't stop thinking about how good all of that meat and cheese sounds? I would have to add mayo though. Golly I'm a glutton.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking that Burger King is smarter than McDonalds. McDonalds tries to pretend that they are healthy by offering an "Asian Salad" and putting pictures of atheletes on their soft drink cups, but I doubt anyone is fooled. Burger King at least realizes what they are, and why people go there... and offers them what they have come looking for. [Wink]

Then again, the Stacker doesn't sound like it would taste good. I'd rather have the lettuce and tomato. If I'm at Burger King, I'll be getting the Whopper still. And if I'm trying to be extra healthy... well... I won't be at Burger King in the first place.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny little side note about the commercial, the main dwarf actor (I always forget his name) went to my college and spoke to my theatre class my freshman year.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Strangelove - didn't you mention you gained 17 pounds on the Appalachian trail? Just asking... [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of all the national fast food chains, Burger King has the best-tasting patties. Could be worse.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I plan on having a BK Stacker for lunch today. I'm curious, what can I say?
This is why it's a problem, right here. How many people would never have thought they needed 3 or 4 burgers, but now that it's out there, they have to try it? It's MANLY. I guess many people will look at it and say it's ridiculous, but there are some who will just get it because they saw it and it looks good ... but they'd never eat that much if it wasn't suggested to them. Thank you SO much for the suggestion, BK.

Of course, I love me a Whopper with cheese. So I really shouldn't talk. Although in the past year or so I've switched to a Whopper Jr. Trying to be a little bit healthier.

And the healthy menus thing - Even though the Whopper tastes better, we go to Wendy's now because you can replace your fries with a salad or baked potato or yogurt. So the restaurants who are offering healthier choices really are getting business from it ... at least mine.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a major craving for McDonalds after watching "Supersize Me." Anyone else want to admit they did, too?

And the last I knew, no guns are pointed at people's heads saying they have to choose the huge calorie stuff, although those drive through order screens would be a good place to put one.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the smallest of the Stackers, and it was pretty good, but it was pretty much all in the sauce. From now on I'll just order the other sandwiches, but with the stacker sauce instead of the normal ketchup/mayonnaise/what have you. The whopper jr. is economical and much tastier with the stacker sauce.

I don't order burger king a huge amount, but its the only real choice for quick, really cheap, filling food that isn't a cookie in our student union (we have lots of decent food if you're willing to spend $3 to $4, but try to spend under $2 on a meal and its burger king).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's MANLY.
That's a tad offensive. I would be interested in trying the sammich because it has beef, bacon and cheese on it and I like beef, bacon and cheese. It has nothing to do with the tools between my legs and/or a need to prove anything about them.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Be offended at the fast food establishments, then, because that's exactly their tactic... Manly men have big appetites, and prove it by chowing down on our sandwich.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It's MANLY.
That's a tad offensive....
Alright, sorry. What I meant was that to some people, it seems like a challenge. "Look at this huge sandwich! Are you hungry enough to eat it?"

And I have no problem with the ingredients, really; they're not any less healthy than other BK sandwiches; I'm just annoyed with the amount on those huge ones. SO unnecessary, and it only serves to put ideas in peoples' heads who wouldn't have tried to eat that much otherwise. Yes, of course people are responsible for their own choices. BK is entirely within their rights to offer it. But it isn't helping, and I'm disgusted by it.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What's really offensive is their ad campaign.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I had a major craving for McDonalds after watching "Supersize Me." Anyone else want to admit they did, too?

After watching that and listening to an NPR show about the impact of fast food on the environment I was repulsed. I haven't even been to the McDonald's near my house even though I've been here fo 4 years...
Burger King on the other hand, I've snagged a few Jr. Whoppers there, but their stupid commercials make me never want to go there again. I don't want to encourage them.
quote:
What's really offensive is their ad campaign.
Indeed. Especially that stupid "I am Man." commercial. Everytime I see it I have to turn down the volume and get annoyed.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is why it's a problem, right here. How many people would never have thought they needed 3 or 4 burgers, but now that it's out there, they have to try it? It's MANLY.
I wanna try it because I only like my burgers to be meat, cheese, and ketchup. And it's really annoying when fast food places dump all that crap on top of them. Fast food lettuce is nasty.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Especially that stupid "I am Man." commercial. Everytime I see it I have to turn down the volume and get annoyed."

I instictively sing along to it.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ABSOLUTELY. I don't like McDonald's, but after watching that movie, I almost went straight out to eat there.

This entire thread is making me want to eat meat and cheese.

Meat and cheese.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
So, with all the complaining and threats of lawsuits against McDonalds and other fastfood places, BK has decided tweak their menu with an all new item

To what degree do you all think that fast food companies should be liable for this? Should surgeon generals warnings about trans fats be posted? Should publishing nutritional info fulfil their liability (something McDonald's and Burger King are very good at, but others like Quizno's won't do)?

Everytime I think about fast food companies, the comparison to cigarette companies a few decades ago comes to mind. Do you think this is a fair comparison?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to include my opinion. I think fast food companies should not be liable if they make nutrition information available onsite at the time of ordering. I think there should be a fast food 'sin' tax. I think all restaraunts should be required to provide nutritional information, much the same way it is required to be on foods sold in the market.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I am angry. Burger King won't let me access their website. What's the smallest size of stacker and nutrition info?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when our obesity epidemic gets to a certain point, we will pass legislation to put calorie labels on all advertising and menus. Your reciept should tell you the total of all calories you purchased.

So you'd pull up to the drive through, and next to those pictures of the food will be "1200 calories", "900 calories" and so on. Then say you order a whopper, fries, and an extra large drink. Your reciept would then say "2300 calories" at the bottom.

There would be a surgeon general's warning on all food establishment menus stating something to the effect of "To maintain a normal weight, most people require between 1700 and 2200 calories per day. Meals served at this establishment contain that many calories in one sitting. Without either large quantities of exercise, or moderation in food choice, you will gain weight by regularly eating here."

And you know what? I think I would be in favor of such legislation. It would still allow people to eat whatever the hell they want, but it would at least make sure you know what you are doing.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And you know what? I think I would be in favor of such legislation. It would still allow people to eat whatever the hell they want, but it would at least make sure you know what you are doing.

I'm not in favor of such legislation. It strikes me as government intervention for little reason.

But either way, I don't think it'll make the slightest difference. People just don't care.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
quote:

I'm not in favor of such legislation. It strikes me as government intervention for little reason.

But either way, I don't think it'll make the slightest difference. People just don't care.

As long as I can have low health insurance and care costs, it doesn't concern me either-as long as people are at least informed. However, if I'm footing the bill for people's poor health through other legislation, then I darn well want it to be subsidized by those engaging in the self-destructive behavior.

Edit: It's kind of the same way I saw things in the motorcycle helmet thread awhile back. If I have to pay a portion of the $4 million for some idiot that got himself killed by not wearing a helmet, then I either want them to be forced to wear a helmet or not have my taxes pay for it.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's fuddruckers 1 pound patties.

There also used to be a place in Oregon City that served "monster burgers" that were roughly the size of a dinner plate. Most people would share them, but apparently the rule was that if you could eat the whole thing yourself, you got it for free. (that's manly, fer sher)

As I understand it, no one had ever gotten one for free.

I'm also in favor of a law requiring nutritional labeling.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the burger would be easier to eat than a 72 oz steak, and I know people have finished that.

I don't know how they've finished that, mind you, but they have.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

I also heard on the radio about this monstrosity, which is a bacon cheeseburger served, not on a bun, but on a glazed krispy kreme donut.

That is just...horrifying and wrong.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Must eat meat...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a quad stacker for lunch.

Yum!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Behind the Scenes Stackers
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a double stacker for lunch. I just don't have the appetite to eat something like the quad stacker anymore. I remember having a triple whopper when those came out and being unable to eat any fries or drink much soda. I felt like crap.

Hell, I always feel like crap after I indulge in the joys of fatty meat.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to destroy a perfectly good donut and a perfectly good cheeseburger.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds pretty good. I've never been a big fan of lettuce, tomatoes, etc. on hamburgers, and I like bacon cheeseburgers. This would just be more of the same. But I might not eat this to keep it from becoming a habit.

I think some chain should come out with "bacon nuggets": bacon strips tied up into balls and then breaded and cooked like chicken nuggets.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The stuff sounds really really good, but I know its gonna come back and bite me in the butt someday.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
That sounds pretty good. I've never been a big fan of lettuce, tomatoes, etc. on hamburgers, and I like bacon cheeseburgers. This would just be more of the same. But I might not eat this to keep it from becoming a habit.

I think some chain should come out with "bacon nuggets": bacon strips tied up into balls and then breaded and cooked like chicken nuggets.

McGreasenuggets!
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who think this sounds good: do you like the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger at Yack in the Crack?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been there but I know the best place in Virginia to get burgers is Five Guys. They're expensive but really good.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Every time I go to a fair, I hope that they have deep fried twinkies. So far, no luck.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
quote:
So, with all the complaining and threats of lawsuits against McDonalds and other fastfood places, BK has decided tweak their menu with an all new item

To what degree do you all think that fast food companies should be liable for this? Should surgeon generals warnings about trans fats be posted? Should publishing nutritional info fulfil their liability (something McDonald's and Burger King are very good at, but others like Quizno's won't do)?

Everytime I think about fast food companies, the comparison to cigarette companies a few decades ago comes to mind. Do you think this is a fair comparison?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to include my opinion. I think fast food companies should not be liable if they make nutrition information available onsite at the time of ordering. I think there should be a fast food 'sin' tax. I think all restaraunts should be required to provide nutritional information, much the same way it is required to be on foods sold in the market.

I don't think they should be liable to be sued at all. People KNOW that fast food is bad for them, which is why Supersize Me is so odd. Who would eat THAT much fastfood and not expect consequences?

But even so, most of the places have nutritional information right on the packaging, especially Mcdonalds, who has individualized wrappers with info on them for every item. It's no longer their responsibility afterwards.

However. I've long been in favor of a sin tax on fast food. Cigarettes have incredible taxes on them in many (most?) states. It deters some, but not all. Part of the problem with fast food is just that, it's fast, but it's also cheap mostly. I lived off the 99 cent menu at McDonalds for a year before I finally told myself that it was just too unhealthy (well I didn't LIVE off it, but I ate way, way too much). It's cheap and it hits the spot. Make it more expensive, and maybe people will consider healthier alternatives. I do think it is great that some of the fast food places are trying to offer healthy alternatives like salads and such.

I think all the money collected from the tax should go directly into healthcare of some sort. I think in the same way that health insurance companies ask if you smoke when they check you out, they should also ask about your eating habits. Someone who doesn't smoke, drink, or eat fast food should not have to pay the same as someone who does all three. The smoker, drinker, FF eater's life is inherently LESS healthy and will CERTAINLY cost more of the insurance company in the long run, they should have to pay for that lifestyle choice.

I don't think government intervention beyond taxing is required at all. You can rename the food items to their caloric content, "Yeah, I'll have a double 900, and a 1,200 please. And give me the 600 cal Coke," and people still won't stop eating there.

I think if you want to force people to make better health decisions, and force them to own up to their decisions, you have to hit them where you always try to hit Americans for such things, in their wallets. If someone is going to be willfully ignorant about the damage they are doing to their own health, just wait and see how long it takes them to be just as ignorant when they have to start pinching pennies.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Cigarettes have incredible taxes on them in many (most?) states. It deters some, but not all.
My understanding is that it deters almost no one.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, with all the complaining and threats of lawsuits against McDonalds and other fastfood places, BK has decided tweak their menu with an all new item:

The BK Stacker

Basically they looked at a Triple Whopper and said, "What's with the tomato and lettuce?" Thus the BK Stacker has only meat, cheese and bacon. It's like declaring war on the hearts of America, literally.

I guess that lettuce, tomato and onion stuff, the only healthy pieces of the sandwich, was just getting in the way. This is what REAL men eat!

You didnt see this trend about a year ago when they introduced the "Monster Omelette?" They (food critics) were referring to it as "Food Porn" it was so fattening.

[ July 19, 2006, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.