FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good news from GA! Reed out, Mckinney on the ropes.

Author Topic: Good news from GA! Reed out, Mckinney on the ropes.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Ralph Reed was beaten handily yesterday in the Georgia Lt. Gov. Republican primary! The slimy jerk actually ran a pretty good campaign, but was brought down because of his ties with Jack Abramoff, Indians, and gambling. He might or might not have broken any laws, but he certainly was sleazily unbelieveable when he claimed to be shocked, shocked that he was inexplicably paid hundreds of thousands in Indian gambling lobby money, while portraying himself as anti-gambling.

AND Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney is in a run-off--a sitting incumbent, in a primary run-off! If that idiot can just be ousted, then I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the implosion of Catherine Harris' train-wreck of a campaign for the Senate.

brief AP story on Reed and McKinney

Anybody else have good or bad election news to post?
edit: Der! I forgot that primaries have staggered schedules.

[ July 19, 2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The phone did not stop ringing on Monday with recorded messages from the various candidates. I generally hang up as soon as I recognize what it is. Ralph Reed launched so quickly into the "shocked, shocked!" routine that I caught part of it even before I hung up.

Buh-bye, Ralphie! And McKinney's stunt a few months back was, well . . . [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but my very favorite part of the article is this:
quote:
In Alabama, George Wallace Jr. — son of the legendary Alabama governor and presidential candidate — lost his bid for the GOP nomination for lieutenant governor to Luther Strange, a first-time candidate.
Luther Strange? What a great name for a candidate! I can envision him standing proudly at the podium, his army of warbots rising behind him as he cackles into the microphone...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that Wallace, Jr. had lost , but didn't pick up on Strange. What cool campaign slogans he could have!

"A vote for Strange is a vote for ______"
"All men need Strange"

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"There are politicians more Strange than I."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to a doctor named Dr. Strange.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Any chance a Georgia candidate will make his way into a Daytona beach column?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I remember one campign (about '72 or so) when the Dad, good old George, was running aganst Shorty Price. Shorty ran on a platform of "Budwiser Beer and Tampa Nugget Cigars". His campign slogan was "Anyone who can't steal enough in four years to live the rest of their live in comfort, ain't smart enough to be the Govenor of Alabama"
Where did all the good times go?

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.