FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Best Board/Party Games (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Best Board/Party Games
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Give us your list of favorites and newly discovered games. I've found some gems lately and I'm sure you know of some goodies. (Shawshank's thread about Diplomacy reminded me of this.)

Here are mine:

Settlers of Catan: There are two expansion sets called "Cities and Knights" and "Seafarers." My personal favorite is Cities and knights. The game is really fun, relies on some luck and some skill. The only drawback, only 6 people can play at a time. You can always do doubles. It's rather expensive, but if you poke around the internet, you can get all the sets for cheaper than you can in a game store.

Curses: We played this at a recent gathering of incredibly smart people (also known as Jatraqueros) and laughed like crazy. The great thing about this game is that as many people can play as you want. It's funniest with at least four people playing. The play is ridiculously simple, and the consequences are a kick in the pants.

Apples to Apples: Duh. Most of you have played this. It's really easy and ends up being really funny. The only drawback is that if you play it with boring people, it will be boring. [Smile]

Liebrary: This one is for all you aspiring or very successful writers out there. It's like Balderdash, except that instead of words and definitions, it's books. You're given a synopsis and genre of a book and everyone writes the opening sentence of the book. The object is to guess which is the real opening sentence and to try to fool everyone with yours!

Carcassonne: This looks like settlers, but it isn't as complex. It does require strategy and the opposing players actually end up working together to make sure cities and roads and stuff all fit together right as you build them. I've only played this once, but it was really fun.

Set: I can't even explain how this goes, but it's a brain teasing game for 2-4 players. It involves finding sets of three cards relying on shading, shape, color, and number on the cards. More fun than it sounds. Here's the daily practice game.

Ok, add to the list. [Big Grin]

[ July 23, 2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Set is a lot of fun. It's also supposed to be useful for kids with perceptual issues.

Looney Labs makes a whole slew of fun card (and other) games. And they're all small, which makes packing 'em easy.

• Fluxx, where the rules keep changing, and any card could win it all.
  • Chrononauts and Early American Chrononauts, where the "board" is made up of 64 cards, and you are a time traveller. Your goal is to save the universe -- YOUR version of it. Too bad everyone else is going for a different version . . .
  • Nanofictionary, a story-telling game.
  • Aquarius, which is sort of like 2-d dominoes. And which you can try out online (although it's rather confusing if you've never played it with actual cards).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
My votes would be Apples to Apples, Balderdash, and Cranium. With all of these, the more zany and creative the people, the better the games.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Malarky, which is Balderdash with facts rather than definitions. Problem in my family is that someone knows the answer about 2/3 of the time.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

See Dag, I've played Malarky and I'm dense enough that it was great fun. [Smile]

Sniglets is another good game. It's Balderdash backwards. You make up the word instead of the definition. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Cranium is a good game for a group, quick moving and fun, even when it's not your turn. Kind of like the opposite of Trivial Pursuit, which, if it ever does get finished during a party, pretty much ensures that it was the dullest party ever.

Depending on the crowd, break out Twister. Left foot green!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For a party of six to eight, I prefer:

Apples to Apples
Pictionary
Cranium
Tsuro
Hex
Once Upon A Time
Chez Geek
Guillotine

These are not necessarily (at least IMO) the best games in the world. But they're great games for parties, as they play quickly, are simple to explain, and include a good mix of creativity/strategy, chance, and "screw your neighbor" opportunities.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Kind of like the opposite of Trivial Pursuit, which, if it ever does get finished during a party, pretty much ensures that it was the dullest party ever.

It was not! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps your party experience is different. When I've been to parties where the evening was devoted to Trivial Pursuit, I have felt the desire to gnaw off my own leg in order to escape.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way about Risk. Risk is the mind-killer.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Perhaps your party experience is different. When I've been to parties where the evening was devoted to Trivial Pursuit, I have felt the desire to gnaw off my own leg in order to escape.

Well, it wasn't the evening. It was midday. And it was a multi-day party/get-together. Oh, and it was the Booklovers Edition.

But I've spend other parties playing Trivial Pursuit, and enjoyed those as well. Maybe you need more interesting people to play with. [Wink]

Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends how many you got. We always paired off an even four to play 42

But my folks are out of Texas, and I understand the game isn't played everywhere. Teaching a new player can take a little effort.

If you have a Nintendo sitting around, Mario Party is pretty kewl. If not... "crappy job stories" do seem to be terribly popular.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I feel the same way about Risk. Risk is the mind-killer.

Ah, the Litany Against Risk:
I must not play Risk. Risk is the mind-killer. Risk is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face the game of Risk. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the game has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Heh. I agree with Tom about Risk. Not only is it a mind killer but, like Monopoly, it brings out the worst in people. I love Monopoly, don't get me wrong. I guess I just shouldn't play either of those games with my father.
rivka
Member # 4859

Monopoly and Risk both take too darn LONG.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Clue
Parcheesi
Jumanji
7 Deadly Sins
Outburst
Zathura
Scrabble

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Monopoly, don't get me wrong. I guess I just shouldn't play either of those games with my father.
Written in ballpoint pen in my mom's handwriting on the cover of my family's old Monopoly game:

"<dad> cheats at Monopoly. You can't always win if you don't cheat, and <dad> always wins. Ergo, <dad> cheats. signed, Sour Grapes."

And yes, the word "signed" was written out.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
We always played Mafia at parties, if there were enough people.

Scattergories, Uno, and Boggle are the games that get played the most in my family. Occassionally we'll play Phase-10, but that game can get really ugly and lead to family grudges. I imagine those games are all old enough that most people know them, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to love Trivial Pursuit, but my two absolute favorites are Taboo and Guesstures. Cranium is good too.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The only two new board games I've played recently are Taboo and Scattergories. I love Taboo. Me and one of my cousins can get a ridiculously high amount of points in one round because we each understand the way the other thinks so well. Scattergories is ok, but it gets boring after awhile. I really want to try all these games that you guys said. I love board games.

I love games that require you to understand the way other people think. Those are the kind I'm best at.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Munchkin is a fun one. [Smile] Kwea and JenniK introduced us to that game and it's spread rapidly through our contingent of friends.

My family (well, my sister and those whom she's close to, as well as Nathan and myself) plays some knock-down drag-out games of dominos.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I liked that one a lot. We played it when TomD came down to visit, along with Chris and others. It was a lot of fun....I negotiated a three way win for me. [Big Grin]

It is very tongue-in-cheek, sort of like the comic Order of the Stick.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We found Guillotine to be really dull. It might have just been because the whole group was unfamiliar with it, or maybe we were doing something wrong. But it was boring.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Set as well, although I am not good at it yet. I have only played it once, even though we own it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite board game is chess.

Favorite party games are the scene-its.

Cranium was a blast the one time I've played it.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

ooh, I've never had the chance to play any of the scene its and I think i'd totally rock. Drat, I'll have to put one on my Christmas list this year. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

If Guillotine is dull, you're doing it wrong. It's actually one of the more vicious "screw your neighbor" games out there when played with adults. [Smile]

Now, Munchkin can be excruciatingly dull in long stretches, once you've seen all the cards. But Guillotine? Never.

Out of interest, Dana, how did you play it?

happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Munchkin but my wife can't stand it. She was also very reluctant to play Starfarers of Catan but after getting used to the rules ended up loving it. I'm also a sucker for Axis and Allies but can rarely find an opponent since it's such a long game.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's actually one of the more vicious "screw your neighbor" games out there when played with adults.
LOL - as one should expect from a game called "Guillotine". [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So this includes a few card games, but meh:
Set
Phase 10
Tripolee aka Michigan Rummy
Canasta
Rummikub
Balderdash (I prefer the original as the best party game ever, given the right crowd)
Apples to Apples
oh, and don't forget the cheesy joy that is: Mall Madness (Try again later!... how I long to find the pimply teenager that voice was from and throttle him while longing to luck out with $100 from the bank)

and for those not faint of heart:
Axis and Allies, and let me tell you, invading England with Germany on the first turn and holding it through the second, while it does invalidate 30 minutes of setup in 5 min is rediculously satisfying.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention Cranium, but since it's already been mentioned..

A great game to play is PIG, a variation of Pit. I have never played Pit the way the directions say--I'm not even sure that they're that different. In PIG, you deal out the pit cards to everyone, making sure that you have 1 commodity for each person playing--all shuffled, of course. You place spoons in the center of the table, one less spoon than people playing. When everyone is ready, the trading starts, everyone yelling out how many cards they want to trade. 2! 2! 4! 3! It's very loud and hectic.

When the first person has a complete commodity set, they quietly grab a spoon. The trading continues as other players gradually realize that someone took a spoon, and they take a spoon, too. This usually results in about 3 people diving for the last two spoons very violently. The last person, who doesn't get a spoon, gets a P. If they don't get a spoon again, they get an I, and then a G. Once someone gets PIG, they're out of the game. The catch is, nobody is allowed to speak to someone who has PIG, so they spend the game trying to get people to talk to them. If they do, they're out, too. It's fun. [Smile]

I also enjoy Rook and Uno--very simple card games, but I like them anyway.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
So what is the best way to win with the Allies in Axis and Allies? I always have such difficulty handling the Russians very effectively.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I played Curses, you really need a group of people who are comfortable doing odd things around each other.

Last game I played I got a horrible combination of curses imo. I think the worst is when you get multi accent curses, so your supposed to only speak in an Austrailian witch count dracula voice.

I remember trying to sell somebody a cell phone service in a witches voice, it was interesting to say the least [Razz] I endorse curses though its a solid game and its fun to play.

Settlers is a solid choice, if you play with expansions you need to dig in for the long haul.

I played some scrabble yesterday and I realized that I am obnoxious to play with. I take FOREVER sometimes to place my word, incidentally I won last nights game [Smile] "Vexed" on a triple word score can be quite point enhancing, and it "vexes" other players as a bonus [Smile]

On a side note I just looked over and saw a book entitled, "The PDR Pocket Guide to Prescription Drugs." If you've got pockets that could carry around 1.5 bricks then it truely is a pocket guide for you, and I am not exagerating. When did prescription drugs outnumber foreign language dictionaries in terms of volume?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I forgot Nertz! That is one of my all time favorite games to play. We play it with decks of rook cards and I always mop up.

Hm. Maybe that's why I like it so much. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, am a huge fan of improv games. Freeze, Questions Only, Celebrity... They are all tremendous fun at parties (as long as you party with fun people. And especially if it's late at night.)

I have enjoyed Fluxx and Chrononauts when I played them (both at Hatrack get-togethers.) I have wanted to play 1000 Blank White Cards since I saw this website, preferably also at a Hatrack gathering, but never had the chance...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hosted a game night.

We had Cranium, Jenga, Scrabble, Taboo, and Uno.

Taboo was probably the most fun, but it was tailed by Cranium.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all games I enjoy. [Smile] Can I come to your next game night, Celaeno?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Of course! Give me a call the next time you're in Northern California. [Smile]

(But I wouldn't suggest coming now. The apartment's unbearable with no air conditioning.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I forgot Jenga! Great game, doesn't require brains, good opportunity for sabotage, and can be rowdy. House rules are always fun to make, too.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Out of interest, Dana, how did you play it?

Dana's on vacation now. [Smile]

We followed the instructions, I don't know how else to say we played it. It was a couple of years ago, when we were down at Dana's for a holiday. I don't remember if it was just our family or if a couple of her friends were there, too, but I do remember it being really dull, and everyone pretty much agreeing it was a bust when we were done.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Of course! Give me a call the next time you're in Northern California.
I'll hold you to that. It may be sooner than you fear. [Evil Laugh]
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I think I become real if I meet you, so don't worry. I have a lot of incentive.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yep, KPC, the Princess, and I are all real. Her Royal Heinzness isn't real yet, but only for lack of being old enough to want to post on Hatrack. [Smile] You meet my family, instant Real.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

We followed the instructions, I don't know how else to say we played it.

Hm. Does this sound familiar?

1) Each game consists of three rounds, called "days." Each day, twelve cards ("nobles") worth various point totals are dealt from the "noble" deck in a face-up line. All players start with three "action" cards, which are kept in a second deck.

2) Play begins with the youngest player on the first day and the player with the fewest points on the other two days. (Note that in groups of more than five, you'll need to form teams.)

3) Each player begins his turn by drawing one action card from the deck. He may then choose to play one action card. Action cards usually alter the order of the nobles arranged on the table (the "line"), but can also change hand size, affect the point totals of certain nobles, reverse the order of play, add more nobles to the line, etc.

4) After the player has decided to play (or not play) an action card, he collects the last noble in line and places that noble in his scoring pile. Some nobles are beloved of the people and are worth negative points; some, like the king and queen, are especially prestigious and are worth quite a lot. Many nobles have special abilities that either affect play while they're in line or confer a benefit (or curse) on the executioner who "collects" them. Once the player finishes collecting from the line, play continues with the player to his left.

5) When all nobles are removed from the line, or when certain effects or action cards decree it, the day ends and all remaining nobles in line are discarded. If it's not the third day, a new day begins and 12 more nobles are dealt into a new line. If it is the third day, play ends.

6) When play ends, the player with the most points -- usually coming from nobles, but often augmented by some action cards -- wins.

-----

If players don't think ahead more than one step and just play action cards as they draw them, I suppose the game could be really dull, perhaps even as dull as something like Fluxx. The point of Guillotine is to anticipate not only the current day's line but the potential lines over the next few days. Several nobles encourage "sets" -- like the Palace Guards and the Count and Countess -- and many action cards also reward players for specializing in a certain "type" of noble.

The biggest challenge of the game, IMO, lies in the difficulty of anticipating action cards. While it's possible to predict the line, it's very difficult to guarantee that an opponent doesn't have just the one card needed to jeopardize your careful line arrangement.

The whimsical art ameliorates what can be a pretty competitive gameplay mechanic, and often makes the game an easier sell to teens and pre-teens in mixed groups.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Twister, thats a funny game.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh I forgot about Jenga! That's a great game!

I had a friend who was really into Settlers of Catan. It's a really neat game. Unfortunately I never really got caught up in it. I did buy him an expansions set that I never gave him because I realized that it's the 2-player card game version and he played the full version. So if anyone can make good use of this, I'd be more than happy to send it over.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my favorties have already been mentioned, with one notable exception:Zendo
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I love Risk.
A couple games that haven't been mentioned, that I really enjoy.

Ninja Burger! Delivery in 30 minutes or less, or we commit Seppuku!

Betrayal!

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
No one said Truth or Dare...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GutterTenant
Member # 9601

- posted      Profile for GutterTenant   Email GutterTenant         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Twister, thats a funny game.

You have an interesting sense of humor.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.