FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Door Museum

Author Topic: A Door Museum
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a wonderful idea. It doesn't exist, but I think it would be great. Imagine: a museum dedicated to replicas of doors of all kinds; famous doors, doors to famous doors, fictional doors from books and television and movies... all of which are full functional and intended to be gone through.

They would be arranged like a museum in sections (magic doors, ancient doors, modern doors, sci fi doors etc) and also like a maze with rooms- you go through one door and enter a room with doors of similar kinds. They you pick another door and go through- it's not just a museum, it's an adventure playground. The idea of endless doors is so magical to me because it's full of possibilities. [Smile]

Some doors and doorways I thought of:

The Ghiberti Doors
The Wardrobe from the the Lion the Witch and the
The most spectacular revolving door ever, whatever that may be.
Traitor's Gate.
The doors to the elevators in the Empire State Building.
One of the Enterprise (the ship, not the show) doors.
A submarine hatch.
Dumbledore's Door
A Stargate ('cause how cool would that be? [Wink] )

But I need your help for a story I want to write, incorporating this Door Museum idea of mine. I want you to tell me which doors you would love to see in a door museum. These can be doors that catch your imagination, doors that are beautiful, doors that are famous, doors that featured in a famous historical or fictional event- however ordinary they may seem.

Any door will do!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a museum to Adore....

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You can break on through to the other side.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I *love* the way your mind works.

I would enjoy going through a series of door from all of the various Star Treks (although if the doors are the same in Voyager and Next Generation, for example, I'd only need one of them.

I'd want to go through a Robert E. Heinlein-style dilating door.

I'd want to go through the Tom Baker Era's TARDIS's doors (though how you'd pull that one off I don't know, since they'd have to be flimsy seeming little wooden things from one side and massive white circularly-coffered doors on the other side.

I'd like to go through the trapdoor under the rug in the house in Zork.

I'd like to go through Morphius' three gates in Gaiman's Sandman series.

I'd like to go through the "Speak, Friend, and Enter" door into Khazad Dum.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to go through expensive subdivisions and look at the doors. You can tell a lot about the class of a house by what kind of door they put on it.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd like to go through the original Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai.

I'd like to go through The Lion's Gate of Mycenae.

I'd like to walk under Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate in Millenium Park. I went to look at it last summer, but it was mostly enshrouded in scaffolding and tarps, unfortunately. Gorgeous thing, I have to say.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to go through the "Speak, Friend, and Enter" door into Khazad Dum.
And on that note, you would also need the "Door Under the Mountain".

Difficulty rating: 5 (Well, it's basically part of a mountain, after all. [Smile] )

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
The most famous Door I've ever seen is the Door of Paradise on the Baptistry in Florence. Very beautiful too.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Erm, and I would SO go to a door museum. Especially if it was a collection of fictional and real, fun and informative. Sounds cool [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Doesn't it, though?

I once knew someone who collected doorknobs. That was kind of an interesting collection, but this would be much more so.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the doors in "The Lady or the Tiger?"?
quote:
The criminal could not know out of which door would come the lady: he opened either he pleased, without having the slightest idea whether, in the next instant, he was to be devoured or married.
There's a difference?
The Lady Or the Tiger?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated that story. And still do, really.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was hoping that in then end, he'd open the lady door first and then open the tiger door and have the tiger eat the lady. Of course, in my version, the lady would have done something to deserve her fate, like cruelty to tigers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And of course we'd have to have the famous Door Number One, Door Number Two, Door Number Three.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gates of Horn and Ivory.

Oh, and the Gate to the Underworld at Cumae.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool idea! You should definitely have a nice, round hobbit door.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps one of the happy doors from the Hitchhiker's Guide?

Or else the door from Alice in Wonderland; ya know, the one with the speaking doorknob ("Feed Your head")

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
1. A largish flatscreen display made into the fat lady from Hogwarts would be cool. She couldn't interact, but still...

2. I have no idea how, but the brick wall to Diagon Alley.

3. 8 doors in a hallway, 4 to a side, the paths of which lead to each other, alla Scooby Doo.

4. The gates of Eden.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to visit this museum.

I'd like to add to the list the door to the Oval Office, the door to the Delorean from Back to the Future, and the door from Monica's apt in Friends.

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

*Spoilers for the 3rd book in A Song of Ice and Fire*
I would love to go through the door in the cavern under the wall that Coldhands steers Sam to, and that Bran & company pass through.

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
some more suggestions:

1. The Gates of Babylon
2. the magical doorway in the Weaver's Cottage.
3. The entrance to Dexter's Laboratory (password identification please) mostly because the dimensions of this particular door seem to be variable.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The Get Smart series of doors would be fun.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ack! That's exactly what I opened up this thread to add. It took me two whole days to think of that [Grumble]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The doors from Time Bandits.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

the WC-door at the LLL-offices. (marvel universe; Wolverine)
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

just one more:

the little door from 'Being John Malkovich'

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
the door to the robber's den in Arabian Nights - Open sesame!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Sorry Myr!

Ooh, plaid, that's a good one! I'd love to go through that door.

A super-fast-closing Death Star blast door would be good too.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Door to the Pyramid
Door/Entrance Way at Stonehenge
Door to many European Cathedrals, Milan, Notre Dame come to mind.
Would the Brandenberg Gate--the door through the Berlin Wall-- count?
Oh, and Dumble-dore is not a door.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

How about a Mata-door?
An Ambassa--door?
A Trouba--Door?
Conquista--Door?

I know, they ain't a-Door-able, but they is cute.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teshi, I *love* the way your mind works.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Woo, so many ideas! It makes me happy that so many people think it's a great idea. I wish I had the skills and means (anyone got a couple of million lying around?) to actually, literally, physically build such a museum.

quote:
the door through the Berlin Wall
You mean Checkpoint Charlie or actually the Brandenburg Gate? The Brandenburg Gate is huge, but would count. A reproduction of Checkpoint Charlie also counts- and would be AWESOME.

Most of your doors and gates I had to look up. Some made me feel stunningly behind in my reading/watching. [Wink]

quote:
Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate
I'm not sure about the real practicality of reproducing such a cool gate, but it's an incredible thing. I will have to go to Chicago to visit it. Wow.

quote:
Or else the door from Alice in Wonderland
That's a great suggestion- a very important door.

quote:
Perhaps just a brick wall would be sufficient [Wink] . Oh, so evil.

quote:
Door to the Pyramid
This would be very cool. You could pick a specific pyramid or tomb (or many of them and reproduce their doors and entrance corridors all connected like a dark underground maze.

Sigh.

quote:
A super-fast-closing Death Star blast door would be good too.
Warning: Use this door at your own risk. O.o. [Wink]

And- hee hee to the people who are punning.

If you have more ideas- keep 'em coming. I'm taking notes [Big Grin] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The doors from the Pantheon, unchanged since the first century A.D.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The battleroom gate. We'll put it on the floor, so people can get that "enemy's gate is down" feeling. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Coming Soon--The Door to Tomorrow.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Magic Kingdom at Disney World used to have one of Thomas Jefferson's doors in the Colonial Square area--well, actually, they still do, but they removed the plaque identifying it as such. See, people used to pick off splinters, flecks of paint, whatever. So eventually, they removed the plaque so nobody would know.

The moral: people suck.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
[
quote:
Perhaps just a brick wall would be sufficient [Wink] . Oh, so evil.
[ROFL]

The Cloud Gate is definitely worth the trip to Chicago to see (and of course there is also lots of other great sculpture to be seen in Chicago). Even the bit of it that I was able to see--one end of the bean wasn't tarped off when I was there--was staggeringly impressive. I think I could spend all day sitting and looking at the full thing.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The Cloud Gate is really neat. [Smile] I was close-up to it only at night, which was still awesome, but I would love to be able to spend some time there during the day.

quote:
1. A largish flatscreen display made into the fat lady from Hogwarts would be cool. She couldn't interact, but still...
Sure she could. Have a tiny webcam mounted in the frame and an actor backstage somewhere. You probably would only have it "live" during weekends and busy times, but what a great job for a couple of acting students to rotate through. Sit there in full costume, reading a book or knitting, or talking on the phone to your friends, and look up when people show up and pretend like they're bothering you wanting to go through. Demand the password and give them a hard time for awhile, then roll your eyes and say "Oh alright" and hit a button which unlocks the door and lets the monitor swing forward. It would be awesome!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.