FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter Marked as Equal (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter Marked as Equal
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
People in the Potterverse don't normally sign only their initials any more than we do in real life.

Um, I sign notes with my initials all the time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
People in the Potterverse don't normally sign only their initials any more than we do in real life.

Really? I've never met anyone who does that. Cool.

I stand by my point that the only reason to have him sign with initials was to create mystery, though. [Smile]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, probably.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the Harry is a Horcrux crowd.

I don't think you can go out and commit a murder and then come home and cast a horcrux spell. It seems to me the murder and the spell have to function as a unit.

This isn't a matter of a Horcrux spell being conjured by accident. Voldemort would have used Harry's murder to create a horcrux, so he would have prepared the spell in advance. He would have even been holding the intended horcrux object when he cast the avada kedavra curse on Harry. But since the curse rebounded, the horcrux kinda got "splinched" between Harry and Voldemort.

I could see all kinds of weird repercussions from this. In fact, I hope there are weirder ones, because I'd like to be surprised in the end.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Now that's just weird.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I sign my notes with my initials when I'm in the mood. I'd say about half the time. And I have a friend who does it quite often. I always make fun of her because if you didn't know they were her initials you'd have no idea what those little squiggles at the bottom of the page were.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I think initial signing is totally crazy, too... Who does that???
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Glenn Arnold:
This isn't a matter of a Horcrux spell being conjured by accident. Voldemort would have used Harry's murder to create a horcrux, so he would have prepared the spell in advance. He would have even been holding the intended horcrux object when he cast the avada kedavra curse on Harry. But since the curse rebounded, the horcrux kinda got "splinched" between Harry and Voldemort.

I think part of the problem is that, while we know it requires the taking of a human life to create a horcrux, we don't really know how it works. Is the murdered person's life force used as a scalpel to split the murderer's soul? Is the Avada Kedavra simply a step in the process? Or is it that such an evil act naturally rips apart a murderer's soul, who then simply captures one half of it? Would this process be like the emotional turmoil one might suffer after such an act?

I have to admit I find that last one both the most and least convincing for different reasons. It rings well with what Dumbledore said about the creation of horcruxes, but it's hard for me to imagine Voldemort's soul experiencing much turmoil after the second or third murder (or even the first, for that matter).

Along the same lines, while everyone seems to agree that a massive amount of preparation would be necessary to create a horcrux, it's unclear to me what types of preparation would be required. Would it require physical or mental planning? That is, would it require many rare potion ingredients, brewed in a certain way? Or would a certain state of mental readiness be the only requirement? After all we have seen certain forms of magic - occlumency and legilimency - that require not even words or wands.

I do have to say though, that I'm doubtful of Nagini being a horcrux. Dumbledore points out that Voldemort wields an unusual amount of control over her, even for a parseltongue. But this is the Dark Lord we're talking about. How would a snake match up? And if it were going to be a sperpent, why not the Basilisk?

Personally, I think naming Nagini as a horcrux is one of the better arguments that Harry is actually one. It seems like a good bait-and-switch trick for Rowlings to play. I imagine it would go something like: Harry destroys all the horcruxes except for Nagini, and finally kills her just before facing Voldemort. He proceeds to battle Voldemort, but is unable to finish him off when he realizes...*gasp*. Or something.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...
So, as a brainstorm... let's say Harry is a Horcrux, and he winds up defeating Voldemort. This would leave the last remnant of Voldemort in Harry himself -- what if that effectively makes him the Dark Lord? Then, perhaps, it'd be up to Neville to defeat Harry?

Just a thought, and probably wrong, but it'd be one hell of a direction to take the story. I can't figure out what role Neville will play, but I can't help feeling it's going to be important.

quote:
I don't buy this. Magic in the Potterverse is not a simple matter of strength and will. There are spells and rituals that must be completed for the magic to work. If creating a horcrux were merely a matter of wanting it bad enough, Voldemort would not have needed to search for the secret to making one for years.
Can you name a single "spells and rituals that must be completed for the magic to work"? We know Horcruxes require a death, but I can't think of too many other spells that have prerequisites beyond the knowledge of how to perform them -- much less pre-spell spells and rituals.

quote:
Likewise, the actual form of the rest of the Horcuxes isn't important except insofar as it informs us of Voldemort's nature. It's what Harry, Ron, and Hermione will have to go through to find and destroy them that is important.
Er. If Harry is a Horcrux, won't finding and destroying the last Horcrux be far more emotionally significant than destroying a cup or a necklace?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.