FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello. My Name Is...

Author Topic: Hello. My Name Is...
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've been on this forum for a little under a month, and I decided to introduce myself.

I've read practically all of OSC's works. He is in the category of authors that I can buy their books without having read them first.

I live in Provo, UT (for now) and am a student of Linguistics at BYU.

Sorry if I don't know anyone personally. This forum seems like a tight-knit community and I'd like to be a part of it.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Hola! [Wave]
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to meet you, Hi. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm AG in VBS, so you know me [Big Grin]

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, happyman! Glad to have you here. There is a close-knit element to the place, but at the same time, we're very receptive to new members (and honestly the place would stagnate and die without the steady influx of new people). Don't worry about knowing any of us personally yet; if you want to do so you soon will.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
We are only tight nit until lottery time comes...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so what's your name?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<insert inevitable Eminem joke here>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

Well, it isn't Marshall.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, isn't Marshall! [Wave] I agree about the OSC books - they're among the few I can buy without reading them first. Everything else I get at the Library.

Linguistics sounds interesting. I loved BYU, but I was there over a decade ago. I'm old.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

Yay old people [Smile] ! My real name is Ben and I had older siblings at BYU over a decade ago. My oldest sibling left BYU, however, because he couldn't stand the politics of the music department.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome aboard!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Ben.

I agree about Card's books, although I usually read some of them at the store to make sure the subject interests me first.

I have not read a book by him that wasn't well written, though, a claim that most authors can't match. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
Well, it isn't Marshall.

Crap. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day singing "I'm...just Marshall Mathers. I'm just a regular guy; I don't know why all the fuss about me..."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
Yay old people [Smile] ! My real name is Ben and I had older siblings at BYU over a decade ago. My oldest sibling left BYU, however, because he couldn't stand the politics of the music department.

Imagine that? Politics in the music department.
I left Utah State Univ. in 1989 because of the same thing.

Anyway, welcome happymann Ben, I'm old too.
[Smile]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I had to read the title again...

[ROFL]

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yo!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
The BYU music department has unpleasant politics?! NO WAY! [/sarcasm] [Wink] And I didn't even go there. I went to Ricks before it became BYU...but it's political there too.

Anyway, welcome to the board! Linguistics is a popular subject here! You'll feel right at home. [Big Grin]

[aside] Steev, you beat me to the sarcasm. [Smile] I went to USU and spent lots of time in the music department. Only one year though. My sister in law got her B.M. in piano performance there. I just sang with Kesling and took theory with Martin and all those other guys. Were they there when you were? [/aside]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
happyman, welcome! We can always use more happy people around the place! [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings and Salutations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
We are only tight nit until lottery time comes...

[Angst] Its YOUR number coming up next time! I've given all I can give. If I go down.... YOUR COMING WITH ME!!!!! [Mad] [Eek!] [Cry] [Monkeys]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
The BYU music department has unpleasant politics?! NO WAY! [/sarcasm] [Wink] And I didn't even go there. I went to Ricks before it became BYU...but it's political there too.

What ho? Is this a discussion of music departments? [Big Grin]

Here's an interesting observation for you: a friend recently remarked that if you start singing a song in the music department, and someone else picks it up, they will always start singing it in a different key... wrap your brain around that!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I had a falling out with the political science department at my university because everything there was getting too musical.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, we all know you're the ho around here.

Ho.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho, not-Marshall! Nice to meet you.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Better than being a Ho-bag I expect.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Oddly enough, I had a falling out with the political science department at my university because everything there was getting too musical.

<grins at Tante> I love this! [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:

[aside] Steev, you beat me to the sarcasm. [Smile] I went to USU and spent lots of time in the music department. Only one year though. My sister in law got her B.M. in piano performance there. I just sang with Kesling and took theory with Martin and all those other guys. Were they there when you were? [/aside]

Kesling was the only professor to bring notoriety and prestige to that much needed department. He eventually left around 2002 because of ...*gasp* politics. He said it was giving him cancer. I think he is in Florida now. My brother has kept in touch with him helping him manage his booking agency.

I went into Engineering in '95 and only took 2 performance classes to "keep in shape" before I was banned. They don't like Engineers making their music majors look bad. [Big Grin]

EDIT: year

[ July 29, 2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Steev ]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Here's an interesting observation for you: a friend recently remarked that if you start singing a song in the music department, and someone else picks it up, they will always start singing it in a different key... wrap your brain around that!

That actually makes perfect sense and for many of us it's necessary.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Sup homey
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ben. [Smile]

You should keep an eye out for Jon Boy. It sounds like you have interests in common.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kesling taught BunnV's choir at UF!!!! He's fantastic! He is on a first name basis with Mozart and receives direct revelation from him about how his works should be sung and stuff. Kesling rocks! [Smile]
Steev
Member # 6805

Yeah, Kesling did have that effect on Mozart. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"...that effect..." ? Are you saying you interpret Mozart differently than Kesling does?

Even hearing about all this second-hand, Kesling has almost inspired me to start liking Mozart, despite the fact that I have detested his music all my life and so did my father so I think it's genetic. [Smile]

<Bach rulez!>

Anyway, is Kesling LDS? If not, at least some of it must have rubbed off on him while he was at BYU. I mean, he gets direct revelation from Wolfgang on how to interpret passages! That's just too cool! <laughs>

Have you ever had that happen with an author or poet or composer? That you know and love him or her so well that you just know what they mean by something, or how they intend something, even if other people can't see it?

Steev
Member # 6805

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
"...that effect..." ? Are you saying you interpret Mozart differently than Kesling does?

Even hearing about all this second-hand, Kesling has almost inspired me to start liking Mozart, despite the fact that I have detested his music all my life and so did my father so I think it's genetic. [Smile]

<Bach rulez!>

Anyway, is Kesling LDS? If not, at least some of it must have rubbed off on him while he was at BYU. I mean, he gets direct revelation from Wolfgang on how to interpret passages! That's just too cool! <laughs>

Have you ever had that happen with an author or poet or composer? That you know and love him or her so well that you just know what they mean by something, or how they intend something, even if other people can't see it?

What I'm saying is that Kesling was able to get me to appreciate a little Mozart once in a while. I guess that's a good thing.

As for the other stuff...he is LDS. But as for direct revelation from Mozart? He had that long before he became LDS. [Smile]

Steev
Member # 6805

Hey, where did happymann Ben go? I hope we didn't scare him off. After all this thread is suppose to be about him.

So, happymann, you say your older sibling got out of politics then? [Big Grin]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

happymann, one thing you will learn if you stick around is that threads go off on wild tangents quite regularly. [Smile] We like it that way.

But anyway, welcome!

And Steev, it sounds like you have the same feelings for Mozart as I have. [Smile] It's cool that Kesling is LDS. I didn't know he was. I wonder if he gets direct revelation from anyone else besides God and Mozart? [Smile]

happymann
Member # 9559

Sorry I wandered off. I've been away from technology for the past few days. My wife's family is in town and we also just moved (double-whammy).

Anyway, I'm gonna wander off again to go to a month-long training in South Dakota, so, catch you all later, and until then,

The music department is STILL too political for my tastes, I can't wait to get out of Utah when I graduate, and I like sesame jack chicken.

kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
sesame jack chicken sounds all kinds of groovy. I'm not sure if that means delicious but those are the words that popped into my head!

Welcome to my head!

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi happymann! I'm not in Provo at the moment, but I'm a senior at BYU -- I'm a theatre major.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.