FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's a good thing Walt Disney and Chuck Jones died before they discovered the truth.

Author Topic: It's a good thing Walt Disney and Chuck Jones died before they discovered the truth.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie reviewer for The San Francisco Chronicle recently reviewed Monster House and Through a Scanner Darkly. He praised the performance capture CGI and rotoscoping techniques in both films, claiming that these are the first feature length cartoons in the 100+ years of animation to display genuine emotion, real expression.

He specifically named the Disney films from the "Golden Age" of feature animation, claiming that they were expressionless, bland, stiff, and utterly lacking in comparison to Monster House's close-ups of kids in a CGI skin screaming.

The Evil Queen's sneer? Figaro looking annoyed? Bambi getting 'twitterpated'? You only imagined you saw any emotion there.

Marc Antony the bulldog going into fits of agony when he thinks the kitten Pussyfoot has been baked into a cookie? Stiff doll faces compared to the Funny Fat Kid smirking.

And even Monster House falls short of the utter glory of watching REAL actors wearing a dab of digital makeup in Scanner. Even the most inept, austere live action human actor is light years beyond the best work of the Nine Old Men!

Right?

*sigh*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, hand animation is so analog, only retro snobs like that stuff.

[ROFL]

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Puffy, not that I don't like CGI but I still watch Miyazaki anime movies because they just look so amazing, and to think its all hand drawn.

I want my CGI but Ill still pay 6 bucks to go see a well drawn feature length movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Keanu Reeves is incapable of showing emotion. I imagine rotoscoped Keanu is no different.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa.

Dude.

Whoa.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't hate CGI. Huge Pixar fan.

But I do hate dissing of traditional animation. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Through a Scanner Darkly?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Puffy, do you read the Strut forums or something? Kinda freaky to see this at the top of both back-to-back. [Smile]

That said, yeah, the world needs more keyframe animation jobs, not less! [Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Oh, yeah. I was thinking of the source of the title, "through a glass darkly". Heh. [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I read this on the CartoonBrew.com blog.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, that guy's out of his mind.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Marc Antony the bulldog going into fits of agony when he thinks the kitten Pussyfoot has been baked into a cookie?
Haven't seen that in 20 years, probably, but I almost tear up again thinking of it. Bawled like a baby, I did. Emotion? Yeah. Some.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nutjob.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

and to think its all hand drawn.

Don't make me, the Lorax, and John Henry come over there and kick your ass, sonny. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
<derail> SS has 11111 posts!!! woooooooo
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The number of the, um, something!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to get back to the issue but thought I would post. Whoever wrote that article isn't the smartest guy on the block. There is much more to emotion than just how a character looks when he give a performance, even in animation. It is the story as well ( common sense I know) but still. I am a huge Linklater fan and love "Waking LIfe" but would never put his stuff up there with the like of Disney and the 'old school' masters of animation. They founded the movement and we only have CGI now becuase of those "retro" cartoons from back in the day. But then again I also really admire CGI work that bends the look closer to reality, like the "Final Fantasy" movies and the "Animatrix - Final Flight of the Osiris".
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

This may be the eloquent response I've seen yet to the critic's remarks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.