FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "we don't agitate the dots"

Author Topic: "we don't agitate the dots"
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Giant ants attacking major population centers.

Thunderstorm

nationwide map

Well, OK, they're just FedEx flights. I think the second one would be a nice screensaver.

--j_k, who is easily amused

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. That's kind of intense.

I have an aversion to dots that borders on phobic. It's weird, but if there are lots of dots all together, especially if they are dark coloured, and uniformly sized and spaced and perfectly round, it freaks me out. It starts off with me not wanting to look at them, then I get shivers and all my hairs start standing up, then I start feeling queasy. If the Hatrack Hive Mind could psychologize their way through that one, I'd be interested.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the Hatrack Hive Mind could psychologize their way through that one, I'd be interested.
Did you have near-fatal brain freeze incident from Dippin' Dots as a child?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
b boy: Perhaps your mind automatically launches into 'connect-the-dots-mode' [Smile]

I do hope you don't suffer too much by this affliction of yours.

Live long and prosper.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
b boy, I have a similar problem with holes that are close together, especially if they can stretch to a bigger size.

To understand what I mean, take some silly putty and smush it flat. Then poke several holes in it with a paper clip all together. Stretch out the silly putty and watch the holes grow.

I HATE that. But I do it with silly putty anyway. I don't know why!!

I think it's because of a parasite that my cat had once. It was some sort of weird fly or larva that left a hole in her skin and you could see it moving sometimes. The vet took it out and said it was common. But it was sooooooo gross. I don't even like to think about it.

I also have a hard time thinking about it being skin on someone's body... so lemon shaped holes bother me, too. (Like if something was slit and then pulled apart.)

This video looks kind of like swarms of flies, gnats, or some kind of bug, though. And that's different than what I'm talking about. But still icky.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
b boy: Perhaps your mind automatically launches into 'connect-the-dots-mode'
Dang it, now I gotta get a dry-erase marker and try that.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(only saw the first link)

Wonder how much of time lapse that was.

I though it was very funny to watch as the storm hit the airport, the airplanes circle back away for awhile, and eventually most of them get around it and land, except for one lone plane that went southwest and choose an airport in a different town. That's probably where my packages end up -- some other town due to a thunderstorm.... [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm really sorry that I missed this before the thread slipped off the first page...

I wish the root of my phobia was something as entertaining as a "near fatal brain freeze incident from Dippin' Dots". That would be some quality storytelling rights.

Katarain: just reading about the putty with the holes is making me queasy. But you're right, thinking of them stretching AND with your cat parasite story definitely adds to the freakiness factor...

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think that the second looks like insects of some sort crawling in and out of the map. But it's somehow almost hypnotically relaxing (and I really like the music with it.) It disturbs me at the same time as it relaxes me. I want to watch it over and over (so I saved it.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know what tune is playing in the second one?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's so amusing. I don't find it disturbing at all. It's like incredibly gentle comedy.

EDIT: I watched the second one now. The little plane shapes are kind of cute.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Anybody know what tune is playing in the second one?

I don't know, but I want to.

Teshi, I think it's the "insects crawling in and out of flesh" image in my head that's disturbing me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
The song playing in the second one is an instrumental arrangement of "Going to California" by Led Zeppelin. I'm not sure why they chose going to California, since it seems clear to me that most of them were Going to Memphis.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teshi, I think it's the "insects crawling in and out of flesh" image in my head that's disturbing me.
I can see that being disturbing.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.