FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does the word "Aloha" mean to you? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What does the word "Aloha" mean to you?
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
For one who's never been to Hawaii, Aloha means...

A way to say hello and mean it and a way to say good-bye without. It means sun-shining and sand filled beaches with the promises of sights you've never dreamed imaginable. It means cheap smelly flowers wound together into a wreath of relaxation. It means a refuge from the cheap smelly crap seen everyday. It means a way to say hello and mean it and a way to say good-bye without.

Like I said, I’ve never been to Hawaii but that’s what Aloha means to me.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. That's great. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If I lived on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific, I'd be full of the aloha spirit too.

Spend a winter in Michigan, you'll gain an appreciation for spirits of another kind entirely.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also believe you probably grew up in a society that taught you to withold your affection and "be a man".
Yeah, you're wrong.

I was brought up by parents who are not very physically affectionate, but I was never taught that it was bad, weak, or womanish.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

No problem, kaminari.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
For one who's never been to Hawaii, Aloha means...
It means cheap smelly flowers wound together into a wreath of relaxation.

Yep, you've never been to Hawaii. Nothing's cheap here.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Cheap meaning doesn't cost many 'dollars'? I hope that's what you mean as I didn't intend to slight anyone with 'cheap'. I was just playing on the words thrown out before... : )
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I also believe you probably grew up in a society that taught you to withold your affection and "be a man".
Yeah, you're wrong.

I was brought up by parents who are not very physically affectionate, but I was never taught that it was bad, weak, or womanish.

Yeah, I do that sometimes.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.