FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The One Author

Author Topic: The One Author
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm looking for some new books and things. Running out of quality recommendations man. Aside from that my selection here in Japan is limited. So here's what I want. Either give me your favorite author of all time with a suggested book, or name the author you're currently infatuated with.

I'll start.

Haruki Murakami - "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World"

Murakami is really one of the most unique writers I've ever read. I've only read the English versions and they're amazing.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
John Barnes, I'm on a kick right now. Man, that guy can write believable and terrifying near-future history.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Murakami has a lot of really great stuff.

If you wanted some more Japanese suggestions, I'd suggest Shusaku Endo. "Deep River" was hard to find in my area, but I liked it, along with "Silence" and "The Samurai" and another one I haven't read yet whose name is escaping me.

Favorite author of all time is probably Tolkien off the top of my head. So, I guess I suggest Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a Gaiman re-reading kick, so I have to recommend Stardust, American Gods and Neverwhere, although not in that order.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Fry - Making History. (a brilliant story revolving around the question 'what would've happened if Hitler had never seized power?'. I personally enjoy reading the opening scene, where the main character is desperately trying to get some morning coffee...)
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Endo's Silence, it was very good.

I would also recommend anything at all by Tom Robbins, you might want to start with Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. It is an excellent read; very funny with interesting, multi-layered characters and insightful commentary.

Also, Chuck Palahniuk is a very good author. He wrote Fight Club, but I wouldn't say it is his best work. I would start with either Choke or Survivor. His work is pretty dark with rather depressing humor, but the emotions (or lack there of) that he brings from his character is amazing and the situations he puts them in are genius.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Lewis: Till we have faces.
Stephen King: The Stand
Orson Scott Card: Treason.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.