FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Work ethics advice needed...now: Vonk's a Failure!

Author Topic: Work ethics advice needed...now: Vonk's a Failure!
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small situation that I am not sure how to deal with. If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been in my position as an administrative assistant for a little over a year now. I have been having problems with my boss for a couple of months and have been put on probation for 30 days. If I do not improve by that time, I'm fired. It is my firm belief that most, if not all, of the problems I have faced in this job have been due to personality conflicts with my boss, him blaming me for his mistakes, yadda yadda yadda. That is besides the point, but helps to give a feel for the work environment.

So I have been putting out resumes and finally got a bite. I have secured an interview for a Project Manager position, a big step up from where I am now. The problem is that they are in a hurry to hire someone and scheduled my interview for 11am tomorrow.

So what do I tell my boss? If I tell the truth, which I am inclined to do, he may then make my life miserable for the rest of my stay here. If I were to not get the job he might take it as a sign that I am not interested in my current position and fire me after the probationary period regardless of whether or not I improve. I could also tell him I have a doctors appointment, but I'm fairly certain he would know I was lying and that would fair worse. Or I could tell him I have personal matters to attend to and refuse to explain further, but I don't know how that would fly either.

Anyways, I'm really not sure what to do. I have a feeling that telling him the truth is the best path, especially after writing all of this, but I suppose I'm looking for confirmation that I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot. Or, if you have any advice that I could use, I would really appreciate it.

[ August 04, 2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the option of just taking a personal or vacation day? I know for my personal days at my job, they can be for whatever reason and a reason is rarely ever given.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you usually have to justify your use of leave time? At my job we're specifically asked not to divulge to our managers the reason we're taking leave.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a chance he might be contacted anyway (by the place you are interviewing with, as they check your past job references) or did you specifically ask them to not contact your present employer?

I agree with BQT - for something like this I would normally take a personal day (or vacation day) and just not give a reason.

(p.s. - I personally don't believe you should lie, in any form)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

If it were farther in the future I think I could do that, but the interview is tomorrow and I'm scheduled to work. I don't think the bossman would let that go without an explanation. I guess I don't have to tell him why, but I don't know what he would do if I did that.

Edit: FG - I listed my immediate supervisor on my resume, but I have to get permission from the director to take time off.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your normal lunch hour? Can you take it early and go to the interview? (of course, it probably will take you more than an hour)

I'd be inclined to be honest. If he's put you on probation, then he probably wouldn't be hurt at the fact you're seeking another position. Be aware, that if the job that wants to hire you contacts this company, they may well tell them they would not re-hire you, which is a devastating blow. There are legal limits on what they can say about you, but that one phrase "We would not re-hire." is HR codespeak for "Stay away, you don't want this one!"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on probation before, and I've found that, if you're on probation, it's because they want you to leave, but can't throw you out themselves.

For that reason, don't give them the pleasure until the very end. Take a personal day, call in sick, emergency, whatever (I prefer calling in an emergency that same day. I seemed to have a lot of ill relatives, at least as far as they're concerned)... and focus on the interview. If it goes well, take it immediately. If not, life goes on, and your situation at work is no worse.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, take a personal day but give no reason. If asked, which is unlikely just say its personal.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Call in sick tomorrow morning. If they ask for details, tell em you think you ate something bad because you've been throwing up. Food poisoning is usually cleared out in 24 hours (at least in my own experience) so there would be no surprise at you being back to work on Thursday.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh, and be honest with your interviewer. Tell them there are problems where you are now. Prepare them that your current employer may give less than glowing recommendations. To counter that, give some personal references that are impeccable.

HR people know that sometimes you need to leave bad situations, but one thing that seems to really get under the skin of all the ones I know is dishonesty. Be open about the fact that you're looking to leave behind a bad situation and I think it will go better for you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not clear from Vonk's post that he even has personal days, much less personal days that you can cash in on fairly short notice.

If you're working a full time job and are looking for another job, it's almost impossible not to have to lie to go in for job interviews, unless the company allows for personal days on very short notice, as most companies you have to ask for vacation days, personal days, what have you, two weeks or more in advance. Of course, ymmv.

Even with personal days, it would seem to me to be very hard to not use them up in fairly short order, unless you're really lucky and get a job fairly quickly.

If you don't want to lie, my suggestion would be to try and work a full-time schedule that has you working on the weekends, so that you have at least a couple days off during the week to schedule job interviews.

Another option might be to see if you can scale your hours down to part time, if possible.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

It is tempting to just call in, but one of the things the boss listed on the probation report was calling in too much. I have called in twice in more than a year of working here and he started yelling about how I call in all the time and don't care about the business.

But Nighthawk, you're probably right. They probably don't want me here anyways, so what difference does it make?

Belle - This "will not re-hire" business: is it common for an HR dept. to say this when there isn't a huge grievance against the employee? I mean, I can't imagine they would be that malicious when I haven't done anything wrong.

Edit: SS - Exactly. I can't request a personal day the day before, that is pretty much equivilant to calling in. And, unfortunately, I can't adjust my work hours; the boss tells me when to work and I say "aye cap'n."

Belle
Member # 2314

vonk, it's a common question. Used to be you could call an employer and ask anything. "How do they dress? Do they smell bad? Do they drink?" etc. Privacy concerns have seriously limited what an HR person can now ask.

Now, pretty much all you're allowed to do is confirm the dates of employment "When did he start working for you?" The status of employment "Full-time or part time?" and whether or not the company would re-hire. Pretty much every phone reference check done covers just those three questions.

Since HR people are now so constrained in what they can ask, they put a lot of importance on that last question.

Of course, not every potential employer will even verify previous employment, so it may never come up.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or to build on what Goody said, you could deliberately get food poisoning, and then it wouldn't be a lie!

Might make the interview a bit rough though [Dont Know]

Well, what are you waiting for? Ask for an extra-rare McChicken for lunch now and you may feel better by your interview. [Wink]

Edit: Thought I better add the disclaimer that this was said jokingly and in no way are you actually supposed to take this advice.

[ August 02, 2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: BaoQingTian ]

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would just tell my boss I needed an early and possibly long lunch to deal with a family matters.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I can't request a personal day the day before, that is pretty much equivilant to calling in
This sounds like a pretty sucky place to work. What the heck are "personal days" for it you can't use them in an emergency?

If I had a friend or family member in an auto accident, or something sudden, and decided I needed to be with THEM instead of at work, my company would have no problem with me calling in and saying I'm taking a personal day today.

I've seen it done for married couples who, uh, had a "disagreement" they really wanted to get worked out and settled instead of coming into work. You know, family matters.

Because employers need to realize that it doesn't do anyone any good if the employee comes in when tehre is something really heavy going on outside in their life keeping their mind off their work.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Wow! This guy has got to be bi-polar or something. I went in and told him I had a really great opportunity and wondered if I could take a half day. His reply: "Take the whole day, I don't care, as long as you get the job."

Well, I guess he just really doesn't want me here anymore. That's a little sad.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*sigh of relief*

Congrats on being real up-front about it.

I hope you get the new job too. This guy doesn't sound like a fun person to keep working for.

vonk
Member # 9027

Thanks a lot FG, and everyone else for guiding me in the right direction. Knowing what my options should have been definitely helped narrow down what my options actually were.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh I don't like the sound of that comment he made. Yeah, it's good that you don't have to worry about covering your tracks, but for a boss to tell you he doesn't care?? I am SOO crossing my fingers that you get this job tomorrow!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my advice. Go to the interview. Just tell your boss there's something important you have to take care of, and don't say what. If he presses you for a reason, say "it's a personal errand". "Just a mini-emergency that came up, that I have to handle", "something I can't do after hours". You can think of a dozen variations on that theme, if he continues to press you. Don't tell him what it is. That is a very bad idea, until you actually get an offer.

Don't tell the new company that you are having trouble where you are. Nobody wants to hire trouble. Tell them that you are really excited about the opportunity that their place offers. Do your homework, and learn enough about the company to make this convincing.

If you get the job, do give 2 weeks notice at the old job. They might choose to let you go before then, but probably not. And it is just much better that way. No need to create ill-will, or give your new employer the idea that there is any. There are very strict legal limits on what old employers can tell people who call for recommendations. Don't worry about them giving you a bad recommendation. About all they can legally say is that you were employed there from start-date to end-date. And most prospective employers will NOT call your present job. You have a right to ask them not to. They don't have a right to jeopardize your current position by letting them know you are looking.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
psst, he just told us what happened with his boss. Though not with the interview.

-----

I personally would've told him first thing that morning that you had an appointment at 11, that it was a last minute thing that couldn't be rescheduled and couldn't be cancelled. Then I would've told him that I'd make up the missed time, very sorry for the short notice, and bye-bye.

I agree that you should mention in the interview that you've had personality differences with your current boss. Don't bad mouth him; in fact, be complimentary and thankful for the opportunity he gave you. But make it clear that if he gives you less than stellar marks that there are extenuating circumstances.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oops, I didn't see the next-to-last post of yours saying that you told him. [Frown]

I seriously would not mention any personality differences with the current boss! That's just the kiss of death! I would not hire someone who was having trouble getting along with the people where they work now. Would you? And there's not any chance the prospective employers will hear anything from the existing boss about you, since they aren't allowed to call your current workplace!

Now you might be left with no job at all! [Frown]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Well I had my interview yesterday. I didn't have access to the internet, or I would have updated. I think it went really well. I'm very familiar with the industry that they work in and I think they were fairly impressed.

I didn't mention my boss at all in the interview. On my resume I gave my immediate supervisor's contact info, so I don't think they will talk to the big boss, who I don't get along with. I just told them that I have been in my current position for more than a year and have grown to big for it; that I was looking for more opportunity to learn and grow as a person and professionally. I think they liked that. I pretty much knew their business inside and out, so, as I said, I think it went pretty well. Thanks to everyone for great advice.

So I'm expecting a call today. The person I interviewed with is going on vacation next week and wants to have a decision before she leaves. I figure the position is mine unless someone with more education and/or more experience applies, and they ask for as little as I did. I hope than anyone that does have more would ask for more money. So I'm just gonna sit here with my fingers crossed, too nervous to get any actual work done and wait for the call.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hope it goes well for you, vonk. Let us know as soon as you hear!
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely keep us updated. My fingers are crossed for a happy new start in a productive, supportive environment. SOunds like you've had a lot of misery from your job lately.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

SONUVA-! Well, I didn't get the job. From what I was told I was the second choice, and if the person they hired doesn't work out they will call me. I have a feeling this is what they say to everyone, but whatever.

This makes me very bitter. I know it shouldn't, but I've been walking around the office all day thinking how great it would be to never have to come back here again. I tried not get my hopes up, I really did, but it didn't work. My hopes were up and they got smashed against the ground like so many empty bottles.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Not getting one job does not a failure make. Keep looking, there is a better job out there for you. You'll find it.
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Heads up, man....I have applied for 3 manager positions now, and am waiting to hear fro the DM next week to see if I git it. I am fairly sure I did, but I won't know for sure until the middle of next week.

Keep sending out the resumes and interviewing.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, that post above me was me. Jenni didn't log out again. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I would not hire someone who was having trouble getting along with the people where they work now.

/OT

Why? You've never had a boss or supervisor type you didn't get along with, but otherwise you got along with everyone else?

/OT

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that vonk! I hate the feeling of leaving an interview KNOWING you got the job and getting all excited about it even though you know you shouldn't and then later find you didn't get the job.

I had that happen too. The interview went great and I even had a second interview but I didn't get the job. I got another job later in the same district but when my boss retired, the guy that did't hire me was trannsfered and became my boss. I was worried at first but eventually it got to be a joke between us.

Vonk I feel sure you will find something. Keep looking though since it is so obvious that they are trying to get rid of you.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

I would not hire someone who was having trouble getting along with the people where they work now.

/OT

Why? You've never had a boss or supervisor type you didn't get along with, but otherwise you got along with everyone else?

/OT

Certainly. Most people have, I suspect. But consider : When you hire someone, you are gambling that they will be a net benefit. Now, if he didn't get along with his previous boss, that could mean that the previous boss is an ass, or that they just clash through no fault of either party, or that the prospective employee is an ass. Why take a one in three chance of hiring an ass, when you could hire someone who got along fine with his previous boss and avoid those odds completely?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Keep trying and keep your spirits up, vonk! You're not a failure! Most people interview a number of times before they are hired.

Storm Saxon, I would not hire someone who told me they were having trouble getting along with the people they work with, because getting along with your coworkers is a skill, and some people who have trouble where they are now will also have trouble in their new workplace, too. Of those who get along just fine with everyone they work with now, I expect a smaller percentage of those will have any personal difficulties with their new coworkers. So if it's enough of a problem that a recruit feels the need to mention it in the interview, then it's a problem.

Interviews and resumes should not mention negative things. When you leave one place for somewhere else, always emphasize the great advantages of the new place, and how those drew you away from where you were.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.