FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Gun Seller and other Hugh Laurie-related thoughts

Author Topic: The Gun Seller and other Hugh Laurie-related thoughts
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
He's my summer project this year. I'm catching up on House, all of Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, and everything else I can get my hands on. I just finished his novel, The Gun Seller last night. Have any of you read it? Here's a little review I wrote in my own journal:

quote:
He is so slick. I was going to keep track of funny quotes, but they came at me so fast and furious that I just gave up. I adore that book, and it's totally not my thing. It's a James Bond, Tom Clancy-esque conspiracy theory spy novel with so much tongue in cheek that I almost fell off the bed from laughing. The main character's inner monologue is what makes the whole thing. If Hugh Laurie's inner monologue is anything like it (and I just have to believe it must be!) then I want to live inside his head and giggle insanely for the rest of my life. His funny is so natural and conversational that you end up feeling like YOU could write a hilarious novel about your mundane life. I found myself wittily describing an amusing drive to work, or a funny conversation with my mother. Of course, I could never do this, but I'm grateful to HL for making me feel like I COULD.
I highly recommend it, it really was so wonderful and witty. And despite the fact that it was kind of making fun of the Tom Clancy/Conspiracy theory novels, it's pretty detailed and Laurie did a lot of good research on weapons etc. Lots of fun. I'm recommending that you go get it from your library and read it!

And here's my last little tidbit from the recently aired episode of Inside the Actor's Studio. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo, I need to read that.

Have you seen the clips from A Bit of Fry and Laurie up on YouTube? Some of my favorites are:

Tony and Control
Mr. Burmie
Psychic Spoon Bender
Sex Ed.
Filling out a police report

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yay!! Thanks for posting those, they're hilarious! That series is on my list. [Smile] It's going to take me a while to work through it all.

You've got to read the book though. It is such a gem.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are watching the Jeeves and Wooster series from Netflix and I've got to say we love the shows.

House is great and Blackadder was classic.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, The Gun Seller was excellent. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh Laurie does an amazing American accent on House [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I know. I love how he mentions how awesome his American accent is in his novel.
Narnia
Member # 1071

House is on the cover of Entertainment Weekly. [Smile] Here's the whole article.

I'm excited to see a film version of the Gun Seller, but it won't be as good if Hugh Laurie can't play the lead. (He's about 10 years too old.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.