FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay fellow anime junkies which should I watch? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Okay fellow anime junkies which should I watch?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just paid 5$ for an online subscription, basically for 5 USD I can now watch ANY anime series that ever existed and can download them all without having to find tricky torrents with bittorrent. I have 1 month to download as many as I can so which should I download first and watch? I am looking for dark and gritty ones btw as in NOT DBZ.

Example: My favorite kind's of anime are closer to FMA and Naruto where the "fighting" is generally wide and diverse doesnt always rely one 1 super power and can actually see 90% of the combat and a certain level of strategy is used thats is what I'ld put on the "high" end.

Any suggestions of what I should look for?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything Ghost in the Shell related, Princess Mononoke, and lots of Gundam (my favorite being Wing, just because I haven't seen too many others).

But you probably know all those ones already...

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Bebop!
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
First, the place you are downloading them from is almost certainly infringing copyright, even past the tacit detente between fansubbers and license holders using a US licensing date cutoff. Just so you know.

If you want dark and gritty, I'd look at Elfen Lied, Noein, Gankutsuou, and Witch Hunter Robin. Of course, neither FMA nor Naruto is dark and gritty, so for some anime more in line with those I bet you'd like Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Panic, and Saber Marionette J.

I may think of more later, I'm always forgetting anime titles.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Morph Ive seen gundam wing but ill look at the other ones.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Gundam Seed is the best AU, and probably something you'd like.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
What about ninja scroll? That's a nice gritty one.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
What site is this?

I could use some Anime. =)

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want dark and gritty, you can go with Serial Experiment Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and that one with the kid with the golden baseball bat...what the heck was it called?

Edit to Add: Isn't it Paranoia Agent?

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Trigun

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hunter X Hunter is fun [Smile]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Get "Bleach"

If you like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto you will most likely like Bleach alot.

It starts out centered on the main character but it quickly branches into multiple characters each with their own abilities. There are 85+ episodes now so you have PLENTY to watch. Theres a movie too.

I find theres plenty of action and its cool to watch, and most of the time its really funny.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Get "Bleach"

If you like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto you will most likely like Bleach alot.

It starts out centered on the main character but it quickly branches into multiple characters each with their own abilities. There are 85+ episodes now so you have PLENTY to watch. Theres a movie too.

I find theres plenty of action and its cool to watch, and most of the time its really funny.

Seconded. Bleach is basically DBZ with every aspect improved a thousandfold.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Bebop is the only respectable anime.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Bebop is the only respectable anime.

You haven't watched much anime, have you?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Blood+"

It's got action, drama, and vampires. The only problem is that you'll get hooked on it, and fansubbers have been pretty slow at releasing it. But there are 38 subbed episodes for you to enjoy for now.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
NGE, Samurai Champloo, and Vampire hunter D are my reccomendations)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Vampire Hunter D is quite cool at least the 2nd movie was.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Monster is very gritty.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a big fan of Yotoden. It is dark and gritty and historical enough to really engross you. The fighting sequences are awesom. The story is stellar.

If you watch it, make sure you watch it in Japanese--the voice actors are excellent. Also, it was orginally 3 episodes. They made a movie from those three by just cutting out scenes and pasting them together. Therefor the movie is chaotic and not very good.

If you like dark...you will love it. If you like Ninja Scroll, you will like Yotoden.

From Wikipedia:
quote:
While it shares much in common with Ninja Scroll, with the protagonists battling a team of foes with demonic abilities, it predates the film better known in the west by over five years.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reco, lem. I'll have to look that one up.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Bleach, and though it is not really dark and gritty, Eureka 7 is one of my favorites.

Also there are on episode 91 of Bleach as of yesterday and Naruto is still on episode 195 because this week they showed the second Naruto movie.

I really recomend Bleach, Naruto is still doing filler but they should end that shortly.

I watch anime on youtube.com. [Big Grin]

Edited because of my bad spelling.

[ August 03, 2006, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Vasslia Cora ]

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Filler is pretty much the only reason I can't handle Naruto. The creator said he used Dragon Ball Z as his model when making Naruto and man he was NOT kidding.

Episode A: FIGHTERS GET READY TO BATTLE! (Episode is dominated by the people observing the fighters as they both take their time preparing. Bystanders tell us how they feel about everything)

Episode B: FIGHTERS GET INTO FIGHTING POSITION! (Episode is dominated by both fighters analyzing their and their opponents motives, strategies, and general appearence, episode ends with both fighters springing into action)

Episodes C: FIGHTING! (Just Kidding its 8 seconds of fighting. The episode is really dominated by flashbacks!)

Episodes D-F: FIGHTING for real! (but the fighting is step by step and its often interupted by the thoughts of the bystanders and the fighters themselves. The fighters rotate pulling secret moves nobody knew about out of their butts until one of them unveils the coolest one yet)

I have just given you a synopsis of Naruto. Expect alot of it [Frown]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I was refering to the filler episodes they are doing now so that the manga can get ahead.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
I was refering to the filler episodes they are doing now so that the manga can get ahead.

oh, yeah thats pretty much why DBZ had filler too.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Yu Yu Hakusho. There's some exposition and what not in it, but it's nothing like the filler on DBZ, it's actual character development and plot advancement. It's a great story. I picked up the entire thing on DVD from Ebay a couple months ago for $120 which is an amazing deal considering how much 32 DVDs should have cost me.

My second favorite of the Gundams after Gundam Wing is G Gundam, probably because I like the concept, and because they actually fight, fight, they aren't pilots, they are fighters who use something along the lines of advanced motion capture suits. The downside is, most every episode is an independent story that features a duel between two fighters. Even the later episodes at the tournament are still just bigger, fancier duels. There IS character development, but it's focused almost entirely on the main character.

Another favorite that I rarely see get much positive attention is Big O. The soundtrack to it is nothing short of amazing. The episodes are rich and can actually tug at your heartstrings from time to time. The plot gets a little...kooky towards the end, but then I've only seen it all the way through once, and I want to get it on DVD so I can watch it again, but it really is good stuff. Not quite your average 'giant robots fighting' show.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Yeah, I liked G Gundam and Gundam Wing alot but Gundam Seed, from the parts I have seen really has alot of character devlopment.

I had forgoten Big O, I really liked up until the very end where it got really crazy.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Rurouni Kenshin..'Nuff said.

If they don't have that though...They made a movie version called Samurai X or something.

[ August 03, 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

There are more than one movies of Samurai X, I believe. Though I did not like the it nearly has much as Rurouni Kenshin.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
While the format of fighting sequences in Naruto can frequently resemble Dragon Ball Z, I don't really watch it for the fighting, I watch it to see how the people in it will develop. For instance, the ways in which Sasuke and Naruto are originally alike but eventually diverge rather sharply from one another. The motivations of the characters-sacrificing for friends and people, and the recognition that fighting (or in a larger sense, struggling and living) for others instead of one's self makes a person stronger and more fulfilled.

I can't say the motivations in Dragon Ball Z was ever anything but, "Get stronger, get stronger, get stronger, to be the strongest / protect the world from some bizarre evil."

It's the difference between a story which is about doing your best, and a story about why to do your best. Why, in other words, characters do the things they do. To me, anyway-but I'm biased. I'm a sucker for stories like that, I admit.

-------

Anyway, everything I would've recommended has been said already and thanks especially to fugu for the recommends I've never heard of. I'd like to echo Lyrhawn for Big O too, the music is excellent and the story is very different, but in a fun, interesting way.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cabra
Member # 9581

- posted      Profile for Cabra   Email Cabra         Edit/Delete Post 
In rough order:

-Gundam 8th MS Team
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Trigun
-Rurouni Kenshin
-G Gundam
-Cowboy Bebop
-Inuyasha
-S-Cry-Ed
-Yu Yu Hakusho

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

S-Cry-Ed is a really good one if you like fighting and character devlopment.

Edit:

Also, I just finished Eureka Seven tonight, and I have to recomend it even more now. I really love the character development and even though somethings where a little hard to understand in the begining, it cleared it up really well and made me wish it had not ended.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Ghost in the Shell the series, especially the pilot episode of the 2nd season. Never seen an animation of a guy getting capped in the head from 3 feet away...
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

oy say a bunh of em alrdy'

saw Kenshin, saw Scryied, saw FMA, say alot of Inu Yasha (too many episdoes to keep track of now) YuGiOh (it gets better kater on), GS, GSD, GW. (I actually prefered the more realistic combat of Gundam Seed to Gundam Wing) DBZ I watched fanatically when it ws on YTV but when I was constantly annoyed at the long preparation scenes which while I watched msot of it in the end anyways so that I could know how it ends Naruto I find is 1000 times better the fight scenes are cooler that is undeniable like in BZ its whoever has the bigger beam blast in naturo its whoeevr that has the faster sneakier combination of Jutsu's and traps that wins.

Punja, its www.narutofan.com although my plus account isnt activated yet stupid paypal [Frown]

IO suspect they found a legal loophole that theyre just providing the anime for free and only charging for the cost of the servers or something theyve been on for 2 years with the paid service. providng torrents for alot longer.

But no Naruto I dont find is anythinbg like DBZ except that theres a tonne of episodes, they do msot definately not spend 15 minutes to 3 episdoes charging up or preparing for attacks sheesh.

Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want something along the lines of Naruto, go with Bleach or Hunter X Hunter.

If you want dark and action packed, definitely watch Berserk. Same goes for Rurouni Kenshin. I warn you though, both anime never finished the story when they were ended. So if you're patient enough, pick up the manga afterwards to see the whole story. (Oh, and don't watch "Samurai X" until after Kenshin. It's a prequel of sorts, and contains a lot of spoilers [Razz] )

And finally, if you want something completely different, I recommend Hikaru No Go. It's about a kid who's inhabited by the ghost of a champion Go master from ancient Japan. Very fun, and I didn't think that a show with no violence could be that great, but it was. A boardgame can actually have action and drama.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I must admit I too, was very doubtful of Hikaru No Go, but it was quite good, although very very different.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching Bleach right now. Not as good as when it first started but it is in the middle of a mini-filler so I'm hoping it'll go back to its awesome self soon.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cabra
Member # 9581

- posted      Profile for Cabra   Email Cabra         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, almost forgot about Chobits. Only seen a couple episodes but that's some good watching [Razz]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that the Bleach filler will be going for a while yet. The manga is still even closer to the anime than Naruto right now. But fortunately, Bleach fillers actually aren't so bad.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Right now Bleach is not following along with the manga but I think it is just allowing the manga to get ahead but I do not think it is going to have nearly has much filler as Naruto.

Man, I am really feeling the hole that Eureka Seven left. Anybody know another anime just as good and alot like it?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

but I like the filler [Frown] I need my Hinata fix.

But ya I'm a person who thinks YuGiOh a show about a Crad game is a good show ill check out Go.

fugu13
Member # 2859

You might try Card Captor Sakura, then, I haven't seen it myself, but its supposed to be among the best in the card-related genre.

Hikaru no Go is excellent; while I enjoy the Go, and its an important part of the series, its really a coming of age story/sports anime (that's a term referring to the general setup and pacing, not that it necessarily has anything to do with sports)/meeting of rivals show.

If they're a torrent site, what they're doing is linking to other people's torrents. What they're doing is of questionable legality (that's going through the courts right now, I think), what the people you actually download from is of unquestionable illegality (in most cases), and what you'd be doing is of unquestionable illegality (in most cases). There is a giant blind eye turned to fansubbed/dubbed anime not yet licensed in the US (several companies even use fansubbing popularity as market research to decide what to license), but most copyright holders would prefer fansubbers cease distribution when a series is licensed in the US, which would include almost all the series mentioned here. Note that this 'rule' applies even in Canada, since its usually licensed at the same time.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*shrug* Theyre site is too confusing to find their FAQ.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

If you want Bleach there are plenty of websites that have all the epiodes for free and the fan sub's are really well done. Though I think Samurai Champloo had the best subtitle work I have ever seen, it even had etymology on many of the feudal words and practices they say/experience.

I am in the 40's as far as episodes for Bleach go and I was amazed by the sheer volume of characters they introduced in the 30's.

My brother and I were watching it and drinking slurpees and there is one episode where I think its Ryou who is talking to Tatsuki and asks, "How can Orihime eat so much and not get fat?" and Tasuki says, "It all goes to her breasts."

We spent the next 15 minutes cleaning slurpee off the carpet. [ROFL]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Yeah, but almost all anime is better with subtitles rather than dubbed. (Although there are some that are better dubbed, Trigun for example.)
fugu13
Member # 2859

Trust me [Wink] .

My girlfriend has some additional recommendations of stuff you might like (some of which I've seen, some of which I haven't . . . mmmm, so much anime). Its divided into a Dark list and a non-Dark list, each in roughly descending order of how good she thinks it is. The inline comments are hers.

Dark:
quote:
Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) - dark at some points, more ultra serious as opposed to really dark
Hundred Stories
Wolf's Rain
.hack//SIGN
Hellsing - though if you want the whole story you'll have to get from the manga
Texhnolyze
Akira
Ayashi no Ceres

non-Dark
quote:
Planet ES
Haibane Renmei - gets slightly darker towards the end
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars I and II - it's all one series but each season has a different name.
Escaflowne
Great Teacher Onizuka - the manga's much darker but the anime is actually pretty lighthearted
Last EXILE

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Hellsing is a solid choice, when it goes dark its something else [Evil]

Trigun if you can get past the first few episodes which are alittle over the top silly it starts to get REALLY cool.

Escaflowne is worth a watch but its not for everybody.

I watched about 6 episodes of Gilgamesh and I confess I had trouble getting into it. It just felt so slow and not very interesting.

Record of Lodoss War (A really promising middle ages anime with dwarves, wizards and evil swords) but I found it to be overall mediocre. That being said if you watch the bonus cartoons that were made by the artists to make fun of ROLW I laughed my head off.

Does anybody know how many episodes of Orphan exist? I found 4 and I actually enjoyed where the story was going, any info on Orphan would be appreciated I really liked the concept.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Thanks for those, I had heard Escaflowne was good but I had not looked into it yet though thanks.

I have to ask has anybody beside myself seen Eureka Seven?

(Sorry,I have it on the brain)

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Bebop. [Cool]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
Yeah, but almost all anime is better with subtitles rather than dubbed. (Although there are some that are better dubbed, Trigun for example.)

ECH.

The U.S. VA's for Trigun are ATROCIOUS.

Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
If you want Bleach there are plenty of websites that have all the epiodes for free and the fan sub's are really well done. Though I think Samurai Champloo had the best subtitle work I have ever seen, it even had etymology on many of the feudal words and practices they say/experience.

I am in the 40's as far as episodes for Bleach go and I was amazed by the sheer volume of characters they introduced in the 30's.

My brother and I were watching it and drinking slurpees and there is one episode where I think its Ryou who is talking to Tatsuki and asks, "How can Orihime eat so much and not get fat?" and Tasuki says, "It all goes to her breasts."

We spent the next 15 minutes cleaning slurpee off the carpet. [ROFL]

Just google "Dattebayo".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.